Hacking Too late for N3DS?

Ray305

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm planning on moving on from my old 3DS to the new 3DS XL. Is it too late to purchase a system that has a vulnerable firmware compatible with gateway?

Ra1d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know where, but some people say there are sites/places that sell 9.2 or lower (vulnerable) N3DS's, but they are a bit more expensive.

Kenneth196

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OP: I got a new one on eBay for around $200 (basically the price of any new one). I simply asked the seller for the serial number and he gladly gave it to me (since it could possibly increase his chance of a sale).

I would go that route. Of course, you may be asking a lot of sellers before you find one, but it's what I did. Took maybe a week.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Reactions: Margen67

Ray305

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OP: I got a new one on eBay for around $200 (basically the price of any new one). I simply asked the seller for the serial number and he gladly gave it to me (since it could possibly increase his chance of a sale).

I would go that route. Of course, you may be asking a lot of sellers before you find one, but it's what I did. Took maybe a week.
How prone are the sellers to giving the console serial number? I know they wouldn't want the hassle of giving this type of information. Is the serial on the console itself or easily accessible on the box?

Reactions: Kenneth196

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
How prone are the sellers to giving the console serial number? I know they wouldn't want the hassle of giving this type of information. Is the serial on the console itself or easily accessible on the box?
should be on the sticker on the box, just write up a little message, (maybe just say your looking for one with a IPS screen rather than TN i know some people can be a bit weary selling stuff or giving info without a reason as to why you want that info) so just get the message pre-typed and paste it to a few different sellers

also worth looking towards some of the more expensive retailers as they generally get through their stock much slower, so the cheaper the retailer, the more likely they will of cleared all their initial stock and are now only selling newer models

Ray305

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
should be on the sticker on the box, just write up a little message, (maybe just say your looking for one with a IPS screen rather than TN i know some people can be a bit weary selling stuff or giving info without a reason as to why you want that info) so just get the message pre-typed and paste it to a few different sellers

also worth looking towards some of the more expensive retailers as they generally get through their stock much slower, so the cheaper the retailer, the more likely they will of cleared all their initial stock and are now only selling newer models
Can you please recommend me a few retailers? I don't know if it's against the rules as it may count as advertising.

Disco

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I bought one in Italy, a week ago, it's on 9.0 and was on discount (I already own blue one on 9.0, but sae this one for good price, and decided to risk, and I hot another 9.0), payed less ofr that black XL than the normal N3DS costs.
So, yeah there are some older batches left in stores, you just need to be lucky ;)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Can you please recommend me a few retailers? I don't know if it's against the rules as it may count as advertising.
nope im in the UK so it wouldn't really be relevant anyway :P

best bet is to just have a little day trip around, the IPS vs TN screen is a good excuse for checking serials without saying "i want a hackable one", while the majority of shops would probably not care, some will be douches and try hitting you with the morality stick

and if you dont give them an excuse the majority of stores will probably think your upto some scam, so just say "build quality" or "screen quality" as your reasoning for the least awkward responces

AssortedTrailmix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me know if this is against the rules (I didn't see anything against it), but if you're ok with a used model, I'm going to be putting my N3DS XL on eBay in a few weeks. I've noticed I don't really have time to play it.

I really lucked out on it about a month ago since it was 9.0 and had an IPS screen. The only problem is I'm probably going to sell it with extras you might not need if you were already setup on an O3DS, like the physical copies of the games I was using my Sky3DS for, a protector I still haven't had a chance to apply, etc. If you're interested, and still you can't get one by then (and I'm thinking you can) I can PM you a link, since it's going to be BIN

retrospect

Trophies
XP
Country
I really lucked out on it about a month ago since it was 9.0 and had an IPS screen.

I had no idea that some models used TN screens. I just read about this. Interesting. Seems mine is IPS too :) Now I feel less bad about spending so much to get one early :D

EDIT: I read most New 3DS XLs have IPS top screens, and most New 3DSs have TN top screens.

3DSXLGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Are they really sold for $200 new?
Friend sold his after he didn't end up liking 3ds in general and felt bad for missing up on him selling it for $200 but hell if that's the going price I lucked out. ^^
I want to get the smaller one instead.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Bought mine Thuesday 28-04-2015 the N3DS XL has IPS but came with 9.4 on it :/, anyway, not that bad, i really wanted a XL for the collection, and i still have 1 hackable old 3ds and a hackable 3ds xl comming in next week to replace the one i fried

[EDIT]
Just compared my N3DS Ambassador edition to the N3DS XL, seems my ambasador N3DS uses a TN screen, it's more washed out and more brighter then the N3Ds XL same brightness settings black theme and in a dark room compared

D

Deleted-355425

Bought mine Thuesday 28-04-2015 the N3DS XL has IPS but came with 9.4 on it :/, anyway, not that bad, i really wanted a XL for the collection, and i still have 1 hackable old 3ds and a hackable 3ds xl comming in next week to replace the one i fried

[EDIT]
Just compared my N3DS Ambassador edition to the N3DS XL, seems my ambasador N3DS uses a TN screen, it's more washed out and more brighter then the N3Ds XL same brightness settings black theme and in a dark room compared

All the non xl new 3ds have TN only screen.

MeisterFenster

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I dont think so, my launch day japanese n3DS (non XL) must have an IPS screen. The colors an viewing angles are too good for an TN.

Kenneth196

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

They were very willing. Some gave the full number, and some coincide tally gave just enough. I usually told them "I'm looking for a certain firmware" and that was that. If the console was used, I simply asked them to check what firmware it was on. Surprisingly, no gripes for anyone I've asked!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • haddad
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    haddad @ haddad: anyone online can help me with my new 2ds xl please...