Hardware Too expensive

Deathmore

Trophies
XP
Country
bigblu543 said:
Well, with the new info, I don't really mind the price, it seems pretty good for how advanced it is: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/40214/3DS-to-cost-under-200
yaynds.gif
That all depends on what the US price is, anything like $220-$240 we could see £170-£180 around wii launch price.

Though yet again this is speculation, even though the UK marketing director said it, it isn't official. He said to just look at the current console and you will see prices near that. So for the US you could expect a $190 to who knows $250 launch price, because the GBP is greater value so the gap seems small.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't get why people care so much about the price.

Nintendo never said anything about the price, so any price is just an estimate. Most people and companies are over estimating just to be safe.

Don't complain about the price yet. You can complain about it when they announce it, but it's stupid to complain about people's predictions.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
awssk8er said:
I don't get why people care so much about the price.

Nintendo never said anything about the price, so any price is just an estimate. Most people and companies are over estimating just to be safe.

Don't complain about the price yet. You can complain about it when they announce it, but it's stupid to complain about people's predictions.
Economy?

tianeloso1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Id be willing to pay from 180 to 220 US after all it is the portable wii next gen stuff.the reason ppl were complaining about the PSPGo price was because they did minor improvements for 80 bucks more than a regular psp. i mean on launch it cost 250 bucks and the 3ds completely kicks psp ass so i dont know why people are complaining about paying 220 bucks for a handheld

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
You what's funny? Tempers complaining how expensive it is to buy a handheld that will eventually go down in prices within 2 years or so. I for one MIGHT get it only if its hackable. A product with an asset is always a good thing. If Nintendo sells it for 250 bucks at retail price eventually its showing the hype around the handheld itself. Like how people got hype over the Wii a few years back.

Then again will this overprice gizmo show the hardcore element that they want to disturbute to their royal fans?

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
regnad said:
Take a look, Nintendo: http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/index.html?poll=3991

There's a huge drop-off after $200. That's where you start losing customers, me included.

If you're so confident about your anti-piracy, you'll make up for affordable unit prices by selling lots of games. That is unless nobody buys it because it's too expensive.

Nice poll, but considering that hardcore early adopters account for 3-5% of the market, all they need to do is attract them first (that's easy). So the initial price will naturally be high to take advantage of that receptive market that cares less about price and more about getting the unit in their hands. Basic marketing strategy they all use to maximise profitability.

Someone in the boardroom then assesses sales numbers and decides where to take it from that point on. Price drops are always introduced after the initial surge of sales dies off as the early adopters have been catered to (with the higher prices).

The unit will be wildly popular, even though the PSP still looks to be a better all-round media playback device with its standard 16:9 screen. If they really push 3D and bundle it with an addictive 3D game that gets everybody talking, they will really win big and could afford to price it high for as long as the buzz drives sales.

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Deathmore said:
Icealote said:
FireGrey said:
The possibility's are endless!

Until you drop the 3DS and it breaks
rofl.gif

You know I don't care how powerful the 3DS is, I know that pretty muchh everyone commenting here is going to buy it because your nintendo fans. But going from other forums and such they're not willing to pay anything near $250 since it's more expensive. Which is reasonable since it's a $220 console with a 3D and touchscreen that could deffinetely put it for $300. Look at Apple fanboys they don't care what the price and they buy it even the shitty iPad. Nintendo right now are kicking them in their ass for the price.

Personally I don't think this will be as succesful as the DS. The 3DS is more core than casual, there's no room for them. I don't think a casual person realises the potential of this device and who it's aimed towards. Im not always right and I may be wrong.

Nintendo doesn't want to undercharge UNLESS, they're going to sell it cheap in limited quantity and then sell them on ebay for $500.
I agree with so many of your comments, but I think the 3DS will be the most successfull iteration of the DS family.

The hardest part of debating the 3DS, is not actually seeing one in action. I have a feeling the 3D effect is going to attract almost everyone, whether they're a gamer, non-gamer, Sony fan, etc. There is an appeal to 3D, which is why Hollywood and movie theatres are banking on the technology. People gladly pay more to see a movie in 3D, so I expect they'll do the same with the 3DS.

Even if I were to take the stance of "Hardcore Gamer," there's still so many amazing games in development for the 3DS, that I'd buy one based on the announced games alone. At this point, all the 3D effects are just icing on the cake. I was a first-day adopter of the original DS, and while quality titles were scarce for months, I saw the potential in the system, and it proved to be amazing. I had the DSLite on the first day, and it made the experience even better. The 3DS is an extension of everything great about the DS, but with a true upgrade in technology. With its upgrade in graphics power, analog slider, and everything that made the DS a great system, the 3DS is destined for success.

davidsl_128

GBAtemp Brightsider
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
I'm not sure if people will see the 3D and immediately go buy a 3DS, but the higher price tag shouldn't be a problem considering how people already paid more money for a simple screen enhacement (DSiXL)... and the 3DS is so much more than a screen enhacement!

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah well PSP was a hell of an enhancement over GBA and DS, yet most wouldn't bother with it either despite it having the good games when both it and DS launched all due to that over $200 asking price. People have little tolerance, and always have, for a handheld (primary) gaming system being over that mark and have since going back to the Gamegear/Lynx/Turbo Express days.

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
foob said:
regnad said:
Take a look, Nintendo: http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/index.html?poll=3991

There's a huge drop-off after $200. That's where you start losing customers, me included.

If you're so confident about your anti-piracy, you'll make up for affordable unit prices by selling lots of games. That is unless nobody buys it because it's too expensive.

Nice poll, but considering that hardcore early adopters account for 3-5% of the market, all they need to do is attract them first (that's easy). So the initial price will naturally be high to take advantage of that receptive market that cares less about price and more about getting the unit in their hands. Basic marketing strategy they all use to maximise profitability.

Someone in the boardroom then assesses sales numbers and decides where to take it from that point on. Price drops are always introduced after the initial surge of sales dies off as the early adopters have been catered to (with the higher prices).

The unit will be wildly popular, even though the PSP still looks to be a better all-round media playback device with its standard 16:9 screen. If they really push 3D and bundle it with an addictive 3D game that gets everybody talking, they will really win big and could afford to price it high for as long as the buzz drives sales.

So in essence patience will save you a lot of money. At that point a lot more games will be out, and we'll have a better idea of whether this thing'll be hacked (and I, for one, am not as confident as those strutting about on this board).

So don't buy it when it first comes out -- unless, unlike me, you're made of money.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Oh geez, more people who won't buy a system unless that can get !!!FREE GAMEZ!!!

That was not the point of his post at all.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
mezut360 said:
The more we complain about the price its more likely for the price to go down
And in the same vein, let's all complain about the anti piracy, maybe they'll decide to skip it and make the whole platform open source.

Deathmore

Trophies
XP
Country
Does everyone agree here that the 3DS is better than any iPod touch/iPad?

Well then if you do why complain about the 3DS price being over $200 when an iPad costs around like $500 and people are still buying it.

Lets get through these features OK:
Larger screen,so how much the DSi costs, so take away about $25 or so for the screen

Graphics card, I don't know how much it costs so lets take a stab at the price and slap on an extra $25 on the price.

Processor is going to be faster and better so slap probably another $10

another 0.3 mp camera that's about $3

the top screen expensive so the top screen alone could cost $15

and the bottom screen could cost $10 seeing as it's around $15 on ebay.

IR port possibly $5

so a DSi is about $170, add 5 + 10 + 15 + 3 + 10 + 25 -25
= $170 + $43 = $213

$213 includes box case, charger manuals etc.

Nintendo may just put an extra $15 for it to be more profitable than a DSi so you americans could see a price of about $230

And don't complain why is it soo expensive etc!

Look the PSP launched at $250 and around THAT time the PS2 was CHEAPER!
Same thing with the DS if I remember correctly.

Next gen is more expensive than last gen get it through.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Deathmore said:
Does everyone agree here that the 3DS is better than any iPod touch/iPad?

Well then if you do why complain about the 3DS price being over $200 when an iPad costs around like $500 and people are still buying it.

I don't get how you can compare the iPad to the 3DS. The two devices are worlds apart, not only in size but purpose.

More realistic was when you mentioned iPod Touch (which is priced at around $180 US dollars).

Apple's advantage is they don't have to worry about upsetting retailers when pricing their games, so can offer cheap games without worrying about upsetting real bricks-n-mortar store sales. Nintendo has higher priced games and retail channels to worry about, along with Sony, so their downloads basically need to be on par with physical goods.

Apple's big disadvantage is their hardware has no tactile controls and can't even be considered a dedicated gaming device (to me). So anyway, whether I see things as competition or not, Nintendo seems to see them as a real threat, because lots of casual users have iPod Touch and/or iPhones and some of that entertainment money is going that way.

So given that sort of angle, it's just as well Nintendo are trying to be different (again) with their 3D feature. I'm sure they have some sort of exclusivity agreement with the company that developed the technology, at least for the time being.

Would be interesting to see the contracts they wrote up for that one. Anyway, will be interesting to see how they price it. I have no doubt it will be high - at least initially - but then again those that want it fast will get it fast, regardless.

Arnold Schwarzen

Trophies
Website
gov.ca.gov
XP
Country
United States
I think most the app store games are shit and even at their low prices are still over priced. I've got a touch and it's great for music, videos, a little web surfing if I don't wanna carry the laptop but no way is it a portable game system replacement. It sucks at that. The DS and PSP are far superior as far as games go so the 3DS can only be tons better. I'll gladly pay more money for excellent games than less for something much much inferior. I did buy Mega Man II for 99 cents though cause I love Mega Man.

10_0ARMY

THE *Original* 1 Man Army
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I hope the 3DS won't be more than $200 cuz that's about all I'm willing to pay for it. After seeing the E3 presentation and articles following E3, the 3DS will in fact be the most bad ass hand held system ever made. Not to mention the games coming out for it look pretty sweet.

It feels good to be a nintendo fan!
yay.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol