ROM Hack Tips on writing a simple GUI Text Editor?

WataruKun

Rom translator.
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Here's the story. I'm working on hacking this game called Doki Doki Majo Shinpan 2. Yes, you heard right, Doki Doki Majo Shinpan 2. Now that we're past that, I know where all the text in the game is stored and it's in uncompressed SJIS, which is good. I also know a lot of the control codes as well. My question is though, is how would I write a simple text editor for this game? Meaning A. What programming language would be the best to learn for this occasion? and B. Is there anything else I need to make a text editor?

Basically what I would like to program the editor to do is...

- Have sort of a list of each different message inside the text file. This might be easy if could program the editor to do something like "If Message Ending Byte is detected, then move on to the next message". If that makes any sense.

- I'd like to program the editor to display the line skip byte as "\n" as opposed to gibberish.

- The biggest thing I want to program it to do, is to be able to repoint stuff automatically.

Overall, this text editor would make editing the games text a heck of a lot easier than hex editing it. If I could program it to automatically repoint the text, that would make it so that I wouldn't have to shorten my translations. Manually repointing would be a bother.

So yeah, I have a pretty good idea of what I want it to do, so what language would be the best to program this simple editor in?

Also, I'm not a COMPLETE programming newbie, just to let you know.

WataruKun

Rom translator.
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Normmatt said:
I'm sure if you posted all the required information someone could whip one for you.

EDIT: C# is good for quick gui programs.
Cool, I'll look it up. Any info on the actual logic of what I would actually need to know how to program?

Basically, what things would it be good to learn how to program, before attempting a text editor?

And yeah, I know someone could do it for me, but I'm trying to learn how to do it on my own.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night