Hacking Tips On Maintaining R4/MicroSD

Panic101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Post your tips. Everything you know, this will help the community have less problems I believe in the long run. I'll start it off ..

* Always make sure nothing is reading off/writing to your microSD before you remove it from the computer, or else you'll corrupt it.

P.S. DO NOT GO OFF-TOPIC and WRITE PROBLEMS YOU'RE CUURENTLY HAVING. Stick to the main objective. If the tips worked for you though, you could leave a thanks.
tongue.gif
Don't just read, learn and leave a tip while your at it!

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Use an automatic save backup tool! I use: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=63989&st=15 (save as backupsaves.bat). On the root of your drive have an autorun.inf file that has
Code:
[autorun]
open=backupsaves.bat
action=Back Up Your Nintendo DS Saves
icon=C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,7
as its contents.

My bat file is:
Code:
set drive=c:\
set backupcmd=xcopy /c /h /i /r /y
set folder=%date:~10,4%_%date:~4,2%_%date:~7,2%
explorer "N:\"
explorer "C:\dssavbackup"
%backupcmd% "N:\roms\*.sav" "%drive%\dssavbackup\%folder%\"
%backupcmd% "N:\gba\save\*.sav" "%drive%\dssavbackup\%folder%\gba"
%backupcmd% "N:\wolf3d\*.sdm" "%drive%\dssavbackup\%folder%\wolf3d"
%backupcmd% "N:\wolf3d\*.wl1" "%drive%\dssavbackup\%folder%\spear"
%backupcmd% "N:\emulators\LAMEBOY\*.sav" "%drive%\dssavbackup\%folder%\lameboy"
%backupcmd% "N:\emulators\jenesis\*.srm" "%drive%\dssavbackup\%folder%\jenesis"
%backupcmd% "N:\emulators\jenesis\*.jst" "%drive%\dssavbackup\%folder%\jenesis"
%backupcmd% "N:\emulators\dsmasterplus\*.sts" "%drive%\dssavbackup\%folder%\dsmasterplus"
%backupcmd% "N:\emulators\nesds\*.ss" "%drive%\dssavbackup\%folder%\nesds"

Rocky5

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Here is a simple batch file to backup your saves this is what i use it does the job just fine.

give it a try make sure you change the Drive letter and your save location to that of your card.
if you want to keep the log.txt leave the ::del "Saves Backup Log.txt"

I know it looks alot but its the gui that takes up most of the space got to make it look good
smile.gif

Code:
@echo off
:Main
color 0E
cls
echo:
Echo               ÉÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ»
Echo               º         º
Echo               º ÂSaves On Card. º
Echo               º SD Backup Maker º
Echo           ÂÉÍÍÍÍÍͼÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÈÍÍÍÍÍÍ»
Echo           º   ÂPress A To Continue   º
Echo           ÂÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ
echo:

:creat
echo: 
echo:
echo: Â >> "Saves Backup Log.txt"
echo Log File... >> Â"Saves Backup Log.txt"
echo: >> "Saves Backup Log.txt"
Echo Time and Date of backup >> Â"Saves Backup Log.txt"
echo: >> "Saves Backup Log.txt"
Time/T Â >> "Saves Backup Log.txt"
date/T Â >> "Saves Backup Log.txt"
echo:
echo: >> Â"Saves Backup Log.txt"
attrib +h Â"Saves Backup Log.txt"
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
xcopy "F:\NDS Roms\*.sav" "saves" /E /Q /I /H >> Â"Saves Backup Log.txt"
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
attrib -h Â"Saves Backup Log.txt"
::del "Saves Backup Log.txt"
echo:
echo:
goto finish

:finish
REM Finished Code...

color 0E
cls
echo:
Echo               ÉÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ»
Echo               º ÂSaves On Card. º
Echo               º SD Backup Maker º
Echo           ÂÉÍÍÍÍÍͼÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÈÍÍÍÍÍÍ»
Echo           º   ÂPress A To Continue   º
Echo           ÂÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ
Echo                 ÉÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ»
Echo                 º Finished º
Echo                 ÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ
echo:
echo:
pause
exit

Rocky5

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dont use DSOrganize i cant remove the damn thing after i put it on the card need to format.

damn DSOrganize folder will not delete.

hollabackitsobi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ALWAYS take the MicroSD out of the R4 when you're done using it. It relieves pressure on the spring (if you have one with a spring), so it doesn't break as easily later. That's one of the reasons I got a Cyclo, I hated taking it out all the time, and swapping out my 2x 2GB memory cards.

DarkAura

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
ALWAYS take the MicroSD out of the R4 when you're done using it. It relieves pressure on the spring (if you have one with a spring), so it doesn't break as easily later. That's one of the reasons I got a Cyclo, I hated taking it out all the time, and swapping out my 2x 2GB memory cards.

Either do that or remove your spring or buy the newer version R4. No spring, no problems.
smile.gif

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Don't submerge your R4/MicroSD in any liquids.
biggrin.gif

And always use the "Safely Remove Hardware" option; to ensure that corruption doesn't happen/

~Nero

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country

Either do that or remove your spring or buy the newer version R4. No spring, no problems.
smile.gif

Does the spring really break that easily? I've had mine since March and havn't had a problem with it. I leave the MicroSD card in the R4 most of the time, except for the 3 or 4 times a week I take it out to change the contents.

Panic101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

smile.gif

Does the spring really break that easily? I've had mine since March and havn't had a problem with it. I leave the MicroSD card in the R4 most of the time, except for the 3 or 4 times a week I take it out to change the contents.
Yes, it does. Post tips only, no side convo's please. I dont want this going off-topic.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country

smile.gif

Yes, it does. Post tips only, no side convo's please. I dont want this going off-topic.

That didn't really help without backing up your point on saying that it "does", and I find it slightly rude that you would type that up in large purple text, as if trying to force it on me.

Maybe I should start doing it to prove points because people obviously don't read what I say.

Also, don't drop the MicroSD Card on the floor, you'll spend ages trying to find it if you have a dark carpet.

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well, yes, the MicroSD cards are so tiny that you can lose them easily, but if you take the necessary precautions, then there is no reason to fear.

Now, it's known that the MicroSD spring is likely to break around the first 3-6 months of use (that's really a shame, but there are exceptions, like me, for example), as stated by other members.

My tips are to handle the MicroSD with care, and apply just the necessary force when taking the MSD card out of the R4.

However, a positive side is that MSD cards are so much easy to replace than if you have an internal cart (like the DSX), if you lose it, or if it gets corrupted permanently or something.

P.S. Enough with the purple text. It's annoying.
blink.gif

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Defragment the memory card occasionally (especially if you tend to keep it full), but DON'T use a defrag utility. Copy the files to your hard disk, format the card, then copy the files back.

A defrag utility will move data around on the card many many many times, and flash memory can only survive so many erase/write cycles.

To the bold purple loonies: It seems to me that discussing the validity of these tips is not off topic.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s