Hardware Tips on handling this fragile screen?

Traumkampfer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I replaced the old screen on my PSP 1000 because it had some scratches, and now I'm scared to so much as touch the thing, so I was curious if anyone knows of good ways to periodically clean the screen off?

I tried cleaning my old screen with tissue, a soft hand towel, and a microfiber cloth, and they all scratched the screen to hell (Being as gentle as can be, BTW). My new screen is getting little pieces of dust on it and its bugging me, but blowing on it and compressed air wont remove them :wacko:

I keep my PSP in a crystal case, but dust keeps getting in somehow.

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get those disposable lens wipe packets. Like the ones by Zeiss. However they could actually get lint stuck to the screen if you use the same towelette for too long, and I think those lint could cause scratches if you try to wipe it off with the same dry towelette. So it's probably best not to use the same towelette for more than 10-15 seconds.

I usually just clean my PSP 3000 screen with a damp paper towel however. Scott brand. I don't fear scratches that much. But maybe paper towels don't really cause scratches. What usually happens is the screen just gets wet and leaves behind a droplet pattern when it dries, but it is not permanent.

Traumkampfer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get those disposable lens wipe packets. Like the ones by Zeiss. However they could actually get lint stuck to the screen if you use the same towelette for too long, and I think those lint could cause scratches if you try to wipe it off with the same dry towelette. So it's probably best not to use the same towelette for more than 10-15 seconds.

I usually just clean my PSP 3000 screen with a damp paper towel however. Scott brand. I don't fear scratches that much. But maybe paper towels don't really cause scratches. What usually happens is the screen just gets wet and leaves behind a droplet pattern when it dries, but it is not permanent.

Huh, those lens wipes sound like a good idea, actually. I tried using a baby wipe once because it was the softest, wettest cloth I could think of, and it made a bit of a bad haze on the screen when it dried. I would only be cleaning the screen every so often, since my new case keeps most things off of the screen. Just, I'm sure you know how pesky dust can be sometimes! :O

I'm curious if Sony made the later models screens more durable or something, because my 1000's original screen was the most fragile thing I've ever seen.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What you actually get scratched up during regular use is not the screen, just the front plate to the PSP which has see through plastic. Your screen will actually be totally scratch free at all times. The front plates go for next to nothing on places like Ebay so just dont worry about it and play away.

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just checked ebay and turns out psp screen protectors are really cheap! Like you can get 3 for about a dollar, with free shipping, holy crap! At that price, why the heck not?

I'm not even into screen protectors, but I've realized something lately: PSP is no longer in production, so maybe it's not a bad idea to protect it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs