Tips on a Slot-1 Card?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Azone, Dec 26, 2009.

Dec 26, 2009

Tips on a Slot-1 Card? by Azone at 12:11 AM (1,410 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. Azone
    OP

Newcomer Azone Newbie

United States
    Alright, so I own a Nintendo DS Lite and am looking for both a Slot 1 Card and a Slot 2 Card. I immediately decided upon the EZ Flash 3-in-1 for Slot 2, but in my 3 days of research, I'm stuck on what to get for Slot 1.

Originally, I had looked at Slot 1 cards a couple years back and found the R4. I now see that it's probably the worst choice on the market, considering it's out of production and with all of those clones out there. Then, following some forum posts from early 2008, I turned to the DSTT. However, this seems to have lost support lately, so that's out. Not too sure on the M3 DS Real and Simply.

I've heard great things about the Cyclods Evolution, but I'm not so sure I want to drop nearly $50 on one. I'm primarily looking at the Supercard DS One and the Acekard 2. From what I've found, the SCDS1 has more features but a sluggish GUI. However, I have heard that an unofficial triple-loader menu can solve most of the problems. Basically, I haven't heard too many bad things about either, but I think I'm leaning more towards the SCDS1.

But then I have another problem. Supposedly the upcoming Supercard DS Two will be groundbreaking; and perhaps it's a good idea to wait for it. The problem is, I don't know when I can expect to see it on sale and how much it will retail for. If it's going to be near the Cyclods Evolution, then I might not go for it (that is, unless the SNES support turns out to be outstanding).

So in summary, I've concluded:
    R4: Avoid
    DSTT: Avoid
    M3: Not sure.
    Cyclods Evolution: Good, but a little pricey.
    Acekard 2: Quick and decent overall
    SCDS1: Good, decent feature set.
    SCDS2: Looks promising, but should I wait?

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? Or perhaps any information to fill any gaps or errors I might have in my research?

Thanks. [​IMG]

By the way, awesome site. Got quite a bit of information from here.

2. yobemal

Member yobemal GBAtemp Regular

Norway
    I'm waiting for SCDS2

3. Azone
    OP

Newcomer Azone Newbie

United States
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind waiting for the SCDS2 if it turns out well (especially on SNES support) but the thing that would deter me from purchasing it would be price. Any ideas on how much it might be?

4. yobemal

Norway
    I'm guessing it'll be between 50-100$.. If it's the SNES support your looking at you could get an AceKard as the SNES emulator worked really great on it. (the NES emulator almost never worked for me, could just be that my SD card was broken.)

Still, SCDS2 can play GBA, NES, SNES, NDS and I think it will be great for movies.

5. Azone
    OP

Newcomer Azone Newbie

United States
    $50-$100 is a bit steep, but I wouldn't need the EZ Flash 3-in-1 for GBA games if I bought the SCDS2, correct? If not, then it might be justifiable. Also, even though the AceKard does have SNES support, does it run at full speed with sound? I figured that the extra CPU power from SCDS2 would maximize SNES capabilities, but if an AceKard 2 or SCDS1 can handle it at full speeds, then I have no need to move up.

I should have probably mentioned that I'm looking for NES, SNES, GBA, and NDS along with homebrew capabilities. I don't really care for movies/music since I carry an Android device that takes care of that.

Thanks again. [​IMG]

6. yobemal

Norway
    AceKard handles the SNES emulator with perfect sound and speed. You can even change the speed of the game from 25% to 300% (i think up to those numbers) while the speed of the sound stays unaffected [​IMG]

It works really good with other homebrew programs as well.

As for the EZ flash, I don't think your gonna need it. Still, I'm not sure.

Oh, and you can't play GBA with an AceKard.

7. fairlyevenparents

Member fairlyevenparents GBAtemp Fan

United States
    You might want to wait for the SCDS2 and get some knowledge on it from a person that actually owns one,I'd rather here reviews from people who own one rather then a development team.

CyclosDS is said to be one of the best slot-1 card "everz" it has features that the acekard2 doesn't have Real Time Save, In Game Menu, In Game Guide, Slow Motion, and Homebrew Softreset.

Acekard2 has never ever failed me in the long run

If money matters, your low on cash wait for the price of the SCDS2 or go with the acekard2

8. Azone
    OP

Newcomer Azone Newbie

United States
    You have a point on getting reviews from the owners. Still, not having any idea on it's release date is problematic.

And yeah, I've read about the extra features CycloDS has, which is why I've been looking at the SCDS1, since, supposedly it has many of those features? I know it has RTS, Realtime Game Guide, and Realtime Cheat code. RTS and Realtime Gameguide are the features that interest me the most.

I could probably shell out the money for a SCDS2 if it means I don't have to get the EZ Flash 3 in 1. So perhaps I should wait and see how that turns out.

Thanks again, all.

9. yobemal

Norway
    Oh right, you have a DS lite [​IMG] then I guess it would work with EZ flash, so you should get an AceKard [​IMG]

10. Azone
    OP

Newcomer Azone Newbie

United States
    Heh, seems like the AceKard has some good rep here. I'm definitely going to look into it more. Still, the feature set of SCDS1 is making this decision complicated. [​IMG]

11. fairlyevenparents

Member fairlyevenparents GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I heard SCDS1 needs a really good micro SD card or it'll have a lot of graphical hiccups.

12. Azone
    OP

Newcomer Azone Newbie

United States
    Well that doesn't sound good. I'll look into that.

13. Azone
    OP

Newcomer Azone Newbie

United States
    Oh right, I forgot about Evolution OS. Hmm, seems that EOS should be out around this time and that SCDS2 is coming late January. Eh, you know I might regret it if I don't wait for the SCDS2. I think that's what I'm going to do, then. If it turns out to be expensive or underwhelming, then I could just just turn back to the AceKard 2 or SCDS1 with EOS.

Thanks again everyone! [​IMG] Now the wait begins.

14. Azone
    OP

Newcomer Azone Newbie

United States
    Oh, I don't have an R4. I looked into them two years back when I worked on some DS homebrew, but those games never left the emulator. Sorry, it looks like I misworded my original post.

Anyhow, I've been perusing some threads on SCDS2, and just having that extra CPU power seems awesome. If everything else is at least as good as the SCDS1, then it might very well be worth the wait. [​IMG]

15. Uncle FEFL

Member Uncle FEFL OBJECTION!

United States
    They're putting a lot on their plate. Hopefully the SuperCard team pulls through. [​IMG]

I'm sure they will though. They've been around almost since the very beginning.