Homebrew Question Tinfoil USB Browsing Blank

GC28

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've been trying to work out the best practice for a switch setup.

Initially, I had gone with an ExFat formatted card and fusee payload - (This works great however I see talk of corrupted cards so that is a possibility)

I've read that I should be using FAT32 so I've been testing the copying of NSZ,XCI & NSP files as now I obviously have the singular file limit of 4GB.

Options

FTPD - This works but is slow when moving a bulk of files to the switch

Goldbricks/Goldleaf - Connected via USB I but it can only install NSP files - I don't wish to hunt everything down again and limit myself to a file type.

Tinfol (Ver R57) - This looks the most promising however when connected with NUT I cannot browse the PC via the Switch, I'm greeted with a blank directory, using ZADIG to switch the drivers over doesn't change much.

If anyone has any tips on the last point that would be great, at this point ExFat seems like a lot less trouble.

Thank you

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi all,

I've been trying to work out the best practice for a switch setup.

Initially, I had gone with an ExFat formatted card and fusee payload - (This works great however I see talk of corrupted cards so that is a possibility)

I've read that I should be using FAT32 so I've been testing the copying of NSZ,XCI & NSP files as now I obviously have the singular file limit of 4GB.

Options

FTPD - This works but is slow when moving a bulk of files to the switch

Goldbricks/Goldleaf - Connected via USB I but it can only install NSP files - I don't wish to hunt everything down again and limit myself to a file type.

Tinfol (Ver R57) - This looks the most promising however when connected with NUT I cannot browse the PC via the Switch, I'm greeted with a blank directory, using ZADIG to switch the drivers over doesn't change much.

If anyone has any tips on the last point that would be great, at this point ExFat seems like a lot less trouble.

Thank you
You can only browse the contents of the Nut folder, put your xcis there.
I recommend Awoo Installer, which can install xci and nsz.

blawar

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That is not true, you can change the folder it scans at the top of the Nut window.

It sounds like the issue might be using an old zadig driver, use the driver installation tinfoil_driver.exe provided by Nut: https://github.com/blawar/nut/releases/tag/v2.7

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Additionally, you dont need any driver to copy files over 4GB via MTP, you can just drag them over when you connect your switch to PC via USB cable and run Tinfoil, a MTP window should appear.

Documentation is here: https://blawar.github.io/tinfoil/mtp/

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That is not true, you can change the folder it scans at the top of the Nut window.

It sounds like the issue might be using an old zadig driver, use the driver installation tinfoil_driver.exe provided by Nut: https://github.com/blawar/nut/releases/tag/v2.7

Additionally, you dont need any driver to copy files over 4GB via MTP, you can just drag them over when you connect your switch to PC via USB cable and run Tinfoil, a MTP window should appear.

Documentation is here: https://blawar.github.io/tinfoil/mtp/
That setting only seemed to change where it scans for nsps, either usb:// or usbfs:// (I forget which one) seemed to be hardcoded to the Nut directory, and that's the only one that will let you install XCIs. If I'm wrong then you should make it clearer how it works.

GC28

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, I've just run through and reinstalled this but with no change:

[/QUOTE=It sounds like the issue might be using an old zadig driver, use the driver installation tinfoil_driver.exe provided by Nut:[/QUOTE]

For the below, I'd be limited to transferring a file larger than 4GB to FAT32, wouldn't I? I could possibly transfer to the internal memory?
Either way, I'm unable to explore via a MTP.

I've removed all the of the USB items from my device manager and restarted to give myself a clean run also with no change.

[/QUOTE=Additionally, you don't need any driver to copy files over 4GB via MTP, you can just drag them over when you connect your switch to PC via USB cable and run Tinfoil, an MTP window should appear.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by GC28,

GC28

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Thanks, gave Awoo a try over USB, connects then fails install.

At this point network transfers or an ExFat setup is the way I'm going

blawar

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That setting only seemed to change where it scans for nsps, either usb:// or usbfs:// (I forget which one) seemed to be hardcoded to the Nut directory, and that's the only one that will let you install XCIs. If I'm wrong then you should make it clearer how it works.

usbfs and nutfs is pretty clear, it lists all of your windows disks and you browse your PC. There is a special directory called cwd or pwd or something that is a shortcut to Nut's working directory, but that is just added for convenience.

Thanks, I've just run through and reinstalled this but with no change:

[/QUOTE=It sounds like the issue might be using an old zadig driver, use the driver installation tinfoil_driver.exe provided by Nut:

For the below, I'd be limited to transferring a file larger than 4GB to FAT32, wouldn't I? I could possibly transfer to the internal memory?
Either way, I'm unable to explore via a MTP.

I've removed all the of the USB items from my device manager and restarted to give myself a clean run also with no change.

[/QUOTE=Additionally, you don't need any driver to copy files over 4GB via MTP, you can just drag them over when you connect your switch to PC via USB cable and run Tinfoil, an MTP window should appear.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

If MTP is not popping up, then there is likely an issue with your USB cable and/or PC.

Tinfoil's MTP supports files over 4GB. It automatically splits them for you when copying to Fat32, in a way the switch can use.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thanks, gave Awoo a try over USB, connects then fails install.

At this point network transfers or an ExFat setup is the way I'm going
Are you using NS-usbloader? You need to be using that (set it to Tinfoil - USB)

usbfs and nutfs is pretty clear, it lists all of your windows disks and you browse your PC. There is a special directory called cwd or pwd or something that is a shortcut to Nut's working directory, but that is just added for convenience.
Maybe that has changed but last time I used it, it showed the contents of the Nut directory (which had no nsps/xcis in it, so it was empty), I thought the feature was just broken until I read somewhere that you had to put the files in the Nut dir, which worked.

blawar

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you using NS-usbloader? You need to be using that (set it to Tinfoil - USB)

Maybe that has changed but last time I used it, it showed the contents of the Nut directory (which had no nsps/xcis in it, so it was empty), I thought the feature was just broken until I read somewhere that you had to put the files in the Nut dir, which worked.

That isnt for usbfs, that is for usb:/ which indexes the nsp's it finds. For that, you set the scan dir at the top of NUT. That is optional, only if you want it to populate new games, new updates etc. If you want to pick and choose the nsp file through the file browser using usbfs like other title installers, it doesnt matter.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That isnt for usbfs, that is for usb:/ which indexes the nsp's it finds. For that, you set the scan dir at the top of NUT. That is optional, only if you want it to populate new games, new updates etc. If you want to pick and choose the nsp file through the file browser using usbfs like other title installers, it doesnt matter.
I did say usb:// or usbfs:// and that I didn't remember which one. Thing is, that was the only way I got it to show XCIs (other than from an online server), they didn't get added to the list by the scanner.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1