Time for the scene to prove itself?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by slaysme, Jul 28, 2011.

Jul 28, 2011
  1. slaysme
    OP

Newcomer slaysme Member

United States
    Alright guys. It's time to prove the value of home brew, of using the full capabilities of a system. It's either that or the cart companies, but I think that this could really turn things around for the good. At this point in time, allowing home brew and even piracy would only increase sales of the system. Let it happen for a while, then when the console is faring better, lock it back down. A few sales are better by far than none, and even the software would see a boost in sales, simply because any talk about a game is good publicity, to an extent. Then nintendo could use the programs that were written for the carts, def, whatever, and adapt them to official system functions. everyone wins.

2. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Wat.

You think that, Nintendo allowing people to pirate on the system will make it more popular? What the hell are you smoking? Nintendo hates piracy with a passion. And 80% of Nintendo's market doesn't even have a clue about what piracy is.

3. phantastic91

Member phantastic91 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    "Let it happen for a while, then when the console is faring better, lock it back down."

what....the.......duece.....

4. Nah3DS

Member Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Argentina
    the other 20% is in gbatemp lol

5. naved.islam14

Member naved.islam14 Gbatemp's Official Dark Knight™

Sri Lanka
    Wtf are you saying, if there is too much piracy on a console and its games, companies won't release games because they won't have good profits.

6. Panzer Tacticer

Member Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Canada
    Stop sticking the stylus in your ear, it's damaging your brain.

7. slaysme
    OP

Newcomer slaysme Member

United States
    Ok, wow. The point was more about 3d homebrew live video player and recorder, freeware and independent games, flash for browser, etc. I'm just being realistic that if you can do that, you can most likely play pirated games.

8. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Nintendo will never open their development to "homebrew". Unfortunately, the only way to really develop for the system and have Nintendo look at it is to get yourself an SDK for 20,000 dollars.

And Nintendo, like I said, HATES pirates. They'll never give us an opportunity to pirate on their system.

9. yusuo

Member yusuo GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    Thats poo, its like me trying to sell my house, but I wanna get a good price for it so I allow prospective buyers too move in first, let them stay for a month or 2 so they get comfortable and then slap them with a $600k bill.

Like my metaphor completely horse crap

10. spinal_cord

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom
    Lol.

Nintendo hates homebrew as much as it hates piracy, maybe more. They have said on numerous occasions that they have no intention of allowing homebrew coders anywhere near their systems, that is why their developer system is so strict. The cart companies don't initially hack the system either, homebrew coders/hackers do and they do it out of curiosity not for a want of piracy. If the 3DS is a lot different on the inside, it wont be the cart companies that figure it out.

11. Paarish

Member Paarish Connor's Nublet

United Kingdom
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    To put it more bluntly; no. It will never happen.

12. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    They would never deliberately allow piracy on their own console, even less a new console, allowing it a little and pirates/hackers will find more holes and the console will be fully hacked, there's no "few time and stop it when they want".

To allow homebrew, the only way would be an official limited development kit and environment for everyone.
    But Nintendo don't like homebrew developers, they don't give tools to make "official homebrew" software.
    This is not Microsoft and Xbox.

13. Pippin666

Member Pippin666 SSF43DE Master

Canada
    It's a good idea. Open the system allowing HOMEBREW with at way to prevent hacking. Allowing unsigned code using another program. If Nintendo would let me code, even in basic or Qbasic code,... and share it to others ?? That would be a start.

Pip'

14. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    This thread made my day.

15. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    Everybody in the industry seems to be saying the Apple Way is the right way. They give away free sdk's and encourage garage development. Shouldn't Nintendo follow suit as well? There's hope if the industry keeps the pressure on them to conform, but Nintendo doesn't change it's ways easily.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

16. deathking

Member deathking GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    they let homebrew it will boost sales buy tons

17. purplesludge

Member purplesludge anyone have any ideas for this space

United States
    I mostly like the way Microsoft did it. Only part that sucks is being required to stay connected online.

18. Thesolcity

Member Thesolcity Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.

United States
    I just fell off my chair laughing at that.

19. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Native homebrew certainly couldn't hurt, but I think the recent announcement of an $80 price drop is going to help the system greatly.

20. The Milkman

Member The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

United States
    1. It ALWAYS comes to the fucking video and flash player with you people doesnt it?

2. You do know that about 65% of indie games are cheep java/lua based clones of arcade games right? Do you think nintendo is in a rush to have fortresscraft on 3DS?

3. NOTHING about this topic is realistic. A Game company, no ANY company, Is going to hand out dev kits and source codes so that marty can make his stupid "s00par m4rty0 braz" game.