Tiger Woods 2012 Requires Origin

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Livin in a box, Jul 20, 2011.

Jul 20, 2011
  1. Livin in a box
    OP

Member Livin in a box Livin' in a cardboard box

United Kingdom
    Today Electronic Arts announced that its EA sports label released Tiger Woods PGA Toru 2012 for PC and Mac. What the release did not reveal is that it requires users to install the Origin client in order to play. Taking a page from Valve, EA's new game requires users to install and use its digital distribution platform Origin in order to play online.

We asked an EA representative for more details on the DRM, but they declined to give us any particular details on what (if any - they wouldn't say and we do not have access to either versions of the game) restrictions the Mac and PC versions of the game might have when it comes to DRM.

The EA representative also confirmed the Mac and PC versions of the game will not be available via Steam.

When we pressed for further information on DRM, we were told: "We don't have any further comments beyond what we've provided."

We do not think there is anything particularly nefarious about requiring the installation of Origin to play an EA. We just wish they could have told us more about any limitations that might be in place as the result of its DRM scheme. The only way to really find is to buy the game.[/p]

Source

TL;DR Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2012 requires EA's Origin digital distribution platform to be installed on your PC to play the game.

What gets me is that they're charging full price for games on this service whereas you can buy them on Steam and at retail on disc for cheaper than you can on Origin, which is a terrible move on EA's part. One can only hope that this service burns to the ground very soon.

2. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    So....derp?

Correct me if I'm wrong but you wouldn't be able to make use of the PS Move and presumably Kinect support the console versions have, so you'd be paying more for less. If that's the case then derp is definately warranted.

3. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    AVGN is overdo on his "You know what's Bullshit" Segments, DRM is one of these needs to start one on this subject because it's got out of hand.

4. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    EA's really trying to derail Steam for some reason. But I think it's pretty much impossible. Steam still has TF2 (making it free-to-play has broken records), Counterstrike Source, and it's still getting major support from everyone else.

5. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Combatting Steam is like trying to destroy the Earth with a pickaxe.

Steam is way too powerful to be stopped.

6. ZaeZae64

Member ZaeZae64 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I have a feeling this Origins thing will fall flat on it's face soon, and will be eaten by the beast that is Gaben.

7. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    what does this mean for hackers. they have to find a way to allow the program to not use origin. easy stuff but hackers dont wish for that.

8. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    I think I'm leaving Steam. Tiger Woods 2012 will be so much better than anything Steam has to offer.

9. jonesman99

Member jonesman99 GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid

United States
    Yea... I don't see this working out the way they wanted it to.