Thoughts on the 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by xamorok, Mar 28, 2010.

Mar 28, 2010

Thoughts on the 3DS by xamorok at 10:18 PM (2,486 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. xamorok
    OP

Member xamorok Member

United States
    So I've read several interviews with Reggis, in which he says the only time they will launch new hardware is when Mr. Miyamoto comes up with a great new idea that is restricted by the hardware. (See here -> http://kotaku.com/5492102/the-next-wii-wil...sony-microsoft) (Paragraph 5)

I was playing Picross 3D *shifts eyes* and I think that that may be the impetus for making a new DS. If you have played it, you might know what I mean, but I'll try to explain as best I can.

So Picross 3D opperates on the same principle as the normal Picross, in that it is a puzzle which you have to figure out what you can save and what you can get rid of, eventually making an image. In the third dimension. Since there is a third dimension, you have the ability to peer inside the object and all of that wonderful stuff. (Really, if you havent played it, I dont think you will understand what my point here is.) So the game does a pretty good job of detecting when you want to move inside the object. But there is a feeling at times that you are being restricted by the fact that you are in fact acting on a 2D surface. Same goes for when you are getting rid of some of the blocks, you wish that you could somehow wrap your stylus around. Its really hard to describe unless you play the game for a while, but there it is. I think that, going by what Reggis says, Picross 3D is one of the reasons the 3DS is being released (adding to the fact that it makes good business sense etc.), I think that the 3DS is somehow going to fix this nagging feeling, and I expect one of the "Killer Apps" to be a new and improved form of Picross. Thoughts?

2. Tac 21

Member Tac 21 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    no thoughts until I play the game, but I could understand where your going with this.

3. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    Picross on 3DS sounds great!

4. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Picross on the 3DS would be awesome! I'm drooling just thinking about it.

[​IMG]

5. zuron7

Member zuron7 RBYG

India
    The touch shouldn't be on the panel but in Mid-air.
    Then it would be amazing.

6. lostdwarf

Member lostdwarf GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom

I have suggested on another post that we may have a 3D sylus too, in fact it would be easy.

The new stylus patent says the stylus has vibration.
    A guess from myself would be they could possibly track the stylus with the camera (or both stereo cameras... theres a thought.) to define pressing a button in space you would only need to feel a slight rumble to register the press.
    slightly like the wii remote if you wave it around your TV on the menu screen the wii remote rumbles as you "hit" buttons that you aim at.. if you turn off your tv and do it, it feels strange, like you are touching something invisible.

these are my ideas anyway. Hope they turn out to be true.

7. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    If the stylus needed power, it'd be good to recharge it while it's inside the console, or somehow the screen would cause the stylus to vibrate without needing a separate power source.

8. Porobu

Member Porobu Gbatemps Shiny Latias

Spain
    Picross3DS would be GREAT

9. Saddamsdevil

Member Saddamsdevil GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    lolwirelesselectricity.

I think we still live in 2010 [​IMG]

10. Supersonicmonk

Member Supersonicmonk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Actually wireless electricity has improved a lot and there are products like the power mat and electric toothbrushes and they can even power TV's from a foot away. It would be easy enough to recharge it when it's inside the 3DS or maybe even when playing.

11. Saddamsdevil

United Kingdom
    Has it been applied in actual consumer products though?

I read a few articles about the particle disperse technology effectively making wireless electricity, but that seemed to be a moth zapping utility rather than a complete wall outlet replacement...

12. Supersonicmonk

Member Supersonicmonk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Well this has been around for quite a while

13. davidsl_128

Member davidsl_128 GBAtemp Brightsider

Colombia
    There's also a Wiimote charger that charges the Wii batts "wirelessly". The remote does have to be physically touching the charger, but the batts aren't wired to the charger in any way. Something like this could be used for a stylus.

If it's tracked by cameras though, you'd need the stylus to have some kind of light (maybe IR, or a visible light like the PS3 Move controller) so that it could be tracked. Otherwise it wouldn't be tracked properly.

14. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States

This technology has actually been used in Wacom tablets for a while.

15. Saddamsdevil

United Kingdom
    The wacom pens use electricity? That's a new one to me, I just assumed it used some kind of magnetic whatever it is.

16. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    I think the limitation is that you can only cut the block from 2 sides, which is a design decision on their part not a limitation of the hardware. I've no idea why they don't let you cut the block from the top.

17. TheDarkSeed

Member TheDarkSeed I'm a pretentious sack of shit

United States
    Nvidia = Win. [​IMG]

18. xamorok
    OP

Member xamorok Member

United States
    You can cut it from the top, as well as the bottom. you just have to move your view to the top

19. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Most of us (other thread) are assuming that Picross will allow you to have the ability to manipulate the object in the air without buttons. Like a hologram. I highly doubt that.
    Unless they use the camera for motion-sensing or something I highly doubt that you'll be able to move the object with your hands. That would be freaking awesome, though. Hopefully, we have better cameras on this shit.

20. xamorok
    OP

Member xamorok Member

United States
    Well, the picross I am going on about is actually on the ds, having been translated into english, and my whole point is that I think that some of the tech difficulties with the DS version of picross 3D is what made miyamoto want a new 3D device.