thoughts about retro advance adapter

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by Sakitoshi, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Sakitoshi
    OP

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    surfing a store that sells retro stuff I stumbled upon this adapter called Retro Advance.
    I've seen a review on youtube and seems quite good, but I'll feel more confident if fellow tempers gives their approval.
    video review

2. Radiobread

Radiobread Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2014
    So basically it means you can play GBA games on a SNES? You can already do that on a Gamecube ;)

3. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It's basically a whole GBA stuffed into a few IC's, it piggy-backs on the SNES to draw power from it and use the controllers. I suppose it's a fun gadget, but I'm not sure about its compatibility with software or reliability.

EDIT: Thank you for the correction, tbb043! :D

4. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States

It doesn't use the SNES to display the graphics, it's got its own special composite a/v out. That's one of the problems I have with this sort of adapter. No S-video (or RGB) for you! All the SNES is used for is power and controls.

5. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Oh? I didn't know that, I guess I should've taken a closer look. :P So... for all intents and purposes, if you fed it power and a controller, you can cut the SNES from the equation altogether? That sounds... like an incredibly inefficient way to make a console, it's not really an "adapter" if the SNES isn't doing anything (or at least it's not doing much).

6. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.

wasn't the super gameboy the same thing? a stuffed game boy inside the card using the snes for power controllers and output the video?

7. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It's somewhat similar, but there are differences. The Super Game Boy actually fully interfaced with the SNES, hence the borders etc. - this only draws power and uses the controller interface, it appears to have its own hook-ups.

8. Sakitoshi
    OP

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    I see... I also did some research and found this review. they say this:
    the RetroDuo Portable and the RetroTrio can output video without the cable, I'll like to know if the RetroDuo can as well(since is very easy to grab one of these), but they don't mention it.

well I'll try to snipe a Gameboy Player if I can(GBP are very rare where I live), in the meanwhile this thing will do the job just fine. and the SNES controllers are way better to play GBA.
    once I got my hands on it I'll make a post with a little review and Ez-Flash IV compatibility. also will open the thing and see if I can find the Y and C lines to output S-Video.
    I'm also looking at the Super UFO Pro 8, since the same retro store import it.

9. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    SNES code stored on a game boy cart was doable. In practice almost never done, except to allow 16bit Space Invaders.