Hacking Thinking of doing a hard mod. Recommendations?

hisagishi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically the title, any specific soldering irons or anything else that might make my life doing this easier?

I've heard of people using conductive glue for this type of work before but honestly that sounds kind of silly imo.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To the best of my knowledge there are only three types of hardmod for the 3ds

1) NAND dumper/flasher

2) Video capture

3) Control redirect/turbo/outside inputs/autoplay inputs (or I guess control reads).

I am not sure if there are still kits for 2) either -- most seemed to want you to send the thing off.

1) is fine but I am not sure what you are going to get from it -- software dumping is possible with a 4.5 system. Should you hose things up hard enough to need it then I would solder in the thing to flash the 4.5 dump back.
I guess there is a slight variation on the theme if you somehow went back and bricked your 3ds with the early gateway/gateway derived stuff.
About the only real use then would be if you have a later system, say one on 9.2. If gateway's new exploit is indeed stopped by 9.3 then you could dump the 9.2 for your 3ds, use the new firmwares for eshop/online and then downgrade when it gets released.
I am not sure what there is in the way of dual nand right now but if you get a 4.5 system then it is all in software anyway.

Specific soldering irons... you are doing close soldering on small pads/pins/traces on a modern multilayer board. Plan accordingly. I like hot air for this sort of thing but you can definitely still use a soldering iron.

Conductive glue. Not a particular fan of the stuff myself, or at least not the stuff you can buy in shops*, but there is little need for a permanent mod for the NAND stuff, to that end it has its uses.

*a friend once did a sort of money basically no object type test to see if they could make some of it, the results were impressive.

I guess you could invent another mod (memory dumping/tracing/fiddling might be nice) but if you want that and are asking these sorts of questions then it not something I would suggest.

Reactions: Adr990

hisagishi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is a gateway nand dump the exact same as a hardmod nand dump? Just on the hypothetical chance that something were to happen and an update failed completely bricking my system.(say the power went off of the system mid update or something) Would I be able to then mod the 3ds and use the gateway dump? I was under the impression that you couldn't dump the sysnand from any form of software no matter how "hacky".

If gateway can dump sysnand then I'd rather cross the bridge of "doing a hard mod when necessary" instead. No use doing it now as theres really no reason.

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yeah, I'll be doing the NAND mod on my 3DS XL soon. I have a backup of 4.2 that I made with my Gateway in May, and my sister accidentally updated the sysNAND to 6.1 (with the Pokemon X cart) about a month ago. I updated it to 9.2, and plan to dump that for future storing and then flashing 4.2 back to get my Gateway working again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    that one was buggy too
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right there, fallout 76 was a letdown, but it not that bad now, they have fixed slot of issues they had at launch. Biggest issue with Fallout 76 is its a pay to advance further type of game, which sucks
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I may probably download fallout 3 or new vegas on my ps3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    cuz I didnt like fallout 1 that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New Vegas is awesome, F3 was ok too.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I played Fallout 4 on PC, I enjoyed it honestly. Not my favorite game on earth but at the same time I didn't hate it at all lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool you got a ps3... Glad to hear. Game on!
    +1
    Ironic this was posted today lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it Is up, way more than norm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL. Of course that's before most you guys even were born yet.
    Lol I think my first modem was 48K but it had some sort of firmware or software update that let me get 56K
    +1
    I had EarthLink lol
    A bunch of NetZero accounts that I used for things... Lol
    +1
    So glad I'm not in prison lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea marriage is a bitch sometimes...
    I legit think they passed the cyber terrorism laws from some of my hmm pranks lol
    I knocked the east coast backbone of EarthLink offline for like 6 hours one time, was on the news and everything well I mean I wasn't on the news.... Just they where having "technical difficulties" lol
    +1
    Was just one single custom packet. I miss when Internet security was an afterthought lol almost all modems and network hardware operated in promiscuous mode.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Was just one single custom packet. I miss when Internet security was an afterthought lol almost...