OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey guys.
I was thinking about painting my old DS Phat 'cause the Paint is starting to wear off and the silver isn't that cool.
I also thought it would be cool to do a cool stencil on the top to finish it off.
smile.gif

Problem is , I've never done something like this before so I don't know what I need.
I guess I need to sand off the silver paint before ?
And I need to get paint , but I don't know which. I figured spraypaint would be the best ?

Would be cool if somebody could help me out.
Oh and If I'm really going to do this I will post pictures when it's finished! (Stay Tuned 'cause if everything works it will kickass.
tongue.gif
)

€dit:

Thanks guys!

I also found some kind of FAQ :
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59503

Seems like it's not that hard to paint it.

Although I don't know if I can use my base color (black) and then paint my stencil over (white) without problems.

Topfragger

Trophies
XP
Country
if your going to do this well common sense first.

watch the video tutorials on taking apart a DS phat,
i wouldn't worry much about the silver paint, if i were you i would just spray it over with either white or grey as a fresh base then do your paint job over that.

you need to take apart your DS so you have all the innards gutted out, so that way you are painting only the plastic shell, if the screen protectors are integrated and are not removeable, then cover it's surface with tape but make sure its the right size so that it covers the screen protector plastic alone nothing else, or you will have a frame of grey silver when you finish your paint job.

once your done make sure the paint dries and then reassemble your DS.
hope that helps.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Just to clarify, I did mean seperate all the pieces first, and spraypaint them individually. Only an idiot would spray an assembled electronic device.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
smile.gif
there's a reason spray cans are called spray bombs by model makers
smile.gif

They dump more paint on a surface in seconds than you likely needed.

Ok for that car kit you were messing around with, likely not so wise on a piece of electronics you want to use later.

Visit the local model/hobby shop. Chances are you can locate someone with an airbrush that can do a mono colour coating with their eyes closed, and your DS survives the experience.

HEARDATBEAT

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
use Krylon paint for plastic it's like 5 bucks a can and if you do it in layers you will never need to worry about it fading off because this paint seeps into the plastic just please make sure you do it in layers.

trikon000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if your gonna stick the can like 4 inches from the targe, of course your gonna put a large amount of paint on it. good range is about 6 to 8 inches away or more for good results. spray cans are used for large objects mostly.

gizmo_gal

QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't mind painting my DS, so I'll be keeping an eye on this.

I suggest going to BestBuy and Walmart or whatever, looking through the paints, testing them out on some simple, spare peices of plastic. Get a water jug and cut it up, test the paint on the smooth, inside part to find the best paints and how well it does on plastic. Then try the paints on an old cheap tape player or something to see how it does on different plastics.

You should dissemble the DS first so you will need a tri-wing screwdriver, costs about 2 bucks or less at most places.

If you dont take the DS apart, then you'd better be darned handy about using tape, plastic, screen protectors etc to keep the screen, mic, speakers and buttons clean.

D

Deleted User

Densetsu3000 said:
Shelleeson said:
ferrariman said:
*Cough OrL's DS*
rofl2.gif
first thing i thought of

Hey Dominik, here's an example of what NOT to do.

*EDIT*
And don't paint it to match your shirt and pants (check OrR's avatar).
I love the way the first comment is:
QUOTE(johnny9562001 @ May 19 2006, 02:48 AM)
no offense but it looks like shit. i think you devaluated it. get a lite man, get a lite.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM