Things you have fixed/modded recently

Ozito

Who you gonna call?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Nice work. I'm hoping to never have to do it though. I called up Nintendo about 10-11 years ago and asked them if there was anything I could do to fix the worn out stick in one of my N64 controllers. They sent me 5 of these, for free (one of them is in the controller, still going strong).

P1070855.jpg

Damn, that's really generous!
Those original replacements seem to be more expensive now a days.

Shorkio

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Continuing a little with N64's sticks, I recommend to check this out.
I recently fixed my years old Acer laptop's screen, a ribbon cable going to screen was just tucked in to it's place. :wtf: I put it back in and secured it with some tape and now it works again! :yaysp: I hope I manage to delay the need of a new computer with a few months.

Ozito

Who you gonna call?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Talking about cars, I've tried removing me door panel today, fix up the electrical windows (been saying and meaning to fix it for 2 years but cba to do it).
Stupid window roller thing wouldn't pop off so I just screwed it back on and said fuck it.
I'll do the door on the passenger side soon.
See if the motor is fucked up since the switches are clicking, fuses are intact.

What car is it?

I did some fixing on mine yesterday.
The problem wasn't unknown to me due to already have experienced it before.

The issue was that the cable going to the passenger-side door, were all chewed up.
Apparently this is a common problem to the car I have, the cables are a bit short and with time and external factors, such as low temperatures during the winter, the isolation cracks.
And if you are really unlucky, the cables snap off.

I've had problems with the power windows too, where the wire harness has snapped off (passenger side) or gotten tangled in the cog that the window motor turns.
There's all kind of cable problem in my car.
:nayps3:

Location of the cables.
IMAG0068.jpg

Cables.
IMAG0065.jpg

And fixed.
IMAG0069.jpg

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Mazda 323c from '97

I've successfully removed the panels and I've also removed the window motors in it, they where corroded shut..
I'm just going to get an extra window lever and pop that in.
Fuck electrical windows, they just break all the time xd

Reactions: Ozito

Ozito

Who you gonna call?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Mazda 323c from '97

I've successfully removed the panels and I've also removed the window motors in it, they where corroded shut..
I'm just going to get an extra window lever and pop that in.
Fuck electrical windows, they just break all the time xd

Yes, they are a drag when they start to act up.
Taking it to a mechanic isn't cheap either, fortunate enough there's nice guides on how to fix different issues in specific car brand forums.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I recently installed Xubuntu on several old laptops for my friend's old coworker and her family. They actually really enjoyed it and were happy to see their old laptops running like new again.
I am always tinkering with my Galaxy S3, Raspberry Pi, and Acer C7 Chromebook (which I flashed the bios removed ChromeOS and installing Manjaro 64Bit unstable.)
I am looking to mod my 2DS once the flashcards fall into my price range and there homebrews for it.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yes, they are a drag when they start to act up.
Taking it to a mechanic isn't cheap either, fortunate enough there's nice guides on how to fix different issues in specific car brand forums.

I've got a fair bit of knowledge on cars meself so I do most of the small fixing and maintenance meself.
More serious maintenance like complete engine services, I let mechanics handle that ;p

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
Here's a new project I've taken on, repairing a DOA Tx Sector pinball machine for my dad, the one on the right. The one on the left is one I repaired a couple months back, that repair ended up being 2 bad PIA chips and a bad right display, I also rebuilt the Power Supply.

After getting TX home and going through it, MPU isn't booting, and my 12v\5v line is a little high. Even with the trim pot maxed on 5v I'm still getting about 7.5. So what I'm going to end up doing first is replace the filter cap and put in a new PSU, after that hopeful the MPU isn't already toast. But if it is I've already located a replacement. After all of that I believe I'll at least have it booting.

Update: Manage to Fix the Machine and added fix pics below

Before Fix Pics
t6wy8dyf9uo7mkcfg.jpg
6z54cwfpq6s9256fg.jpg

s9befzgp2k3ctv5fg.jpg

EDIT: Update Fixed the Machine by recaping the reset board\filter cap and installing a new PSU. Everything is booting and working great. Total fix costed around $70.

After Being Fixed Pics + Cleaned the play-field and installed new rubbers.
7rex9u2qoq5kb89fg.jpg

c5409qn5c2nux8ofg.jpg

D

Dork

Can these mods include software? I've been doing a lot of Team Fortress 2 modding, more specifically fixing all of the little things it has.

elmoemo

Trophies
XP
Country
You guys do big mods/repairs. They look awesome. I flashed my Xbox and changed rol to blue and replaced the controller buttons and sticks with blue parts and made the controllers rol blue as well. Nothing major but looks awesome lol

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
My cousin came over a week ago, wanted to buy my old amplifier and then install it in his 2006 Ford Focus Hatchback.

He had a 12" Sony Xplod sub
ggBYEPT.png

In a bandpass box (don't have any pictures of it)

And my old amp was a Kenwood 8150D, http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22732_Kenwood-KAC-8105D.html

Finding a ground was the biggest pain in the ass for this install, since he didn't want me to drill into the back of his car and there were literally no open spots for a ground anywhere...ended up finding a nice place behind a small shelf in the trunk though, so all was well in the end. Sounded quite nice, too.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You guys do big mods/repairs. They look awesome. I flashed my Xbox and changed rol to blue and replaced the controller buttons and sticks with blue parts and made the controllers rol blue as well. Nothing major but looks awesome lol

Nothing stopping you from doing big mods/repairs, just know you will probably break an awful lot of stuff before you get good. Frankly that is OK though as breaking things will also see you have to put things right again and that will teach you even more.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently installed Xubuntu on several old laptops for my friend's old coworker and her family. They actually really enjoyed it and were happy to see their old laptops running like new again.
I am always tinkering with my Galaxy S3, Raspberry Pi, and Acer C7 Chromebook (which I flashed the bios removed ChromeOS and installing Manjaro 64Bit unstable.)
I am looking to mod my 2DS once the flashcards fall into my price range and there homebrews for it.

The 2DS was originally released with firmware 6.0 so unless there is a new exploit released in the wild or figured out by a flash cart company that works over 4.5 you won't be able to.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The 2DS was originally released with firmware 6.0 so unless there is a new exploit released in the wild or figured out by a flash cart company that works over 4.5 you won't be able to.

By the time a flashcard falls into my price range, the 3DS/2DS will be dead and everyone will have moved on. By that point I will be able to afford to have hacked it.
I don't make a lot of money.
Still, just because I can't do it now, doesn't mean I shouldn't read up on it for when I can. It's best to know what one is getting themselves into before hand, especially when they can't afford to replace anything if it goes horribly wrong.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @hazbeans, welcome