Things continue to look bad for Capcom.

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Bryon15, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Bryon15
    OP

Bryon15 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    united states
    First it was revealed that they only have 152 million left in their bank.

http://www.gengame.net/2013/09/capcom-has-just-152-million-in-the-bank/

To put this into comparison, nintendo made more than that (160 mil) in two days with pokemon X/Y. And now this:

http://gaminrealm.com/2013/10/20/capcom-cant-make-next-gen-fighter/

They can't even afford to make a next gen fighter. Man, no wonder we don't get any megaman games. Anyway this could be good or bad depending on how you look at it. If they declare bankruptcy, acquisition by a bigger company is almost certain. Capcom has some of the most recognized IPs in gaming. Other companies would be insane not to snacth them up. Who would it be? Nintendo or Sony are most likely. Probably not sega since they just bought atlus, and are not in the best financial shape themselves. Konami is pretty big, but wtf have they been doing lately? For my personal choice I'd pick nintendo since they're my favorite and they actually need the exclusives. Where would you want capcom to go?

2. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    Or you know, they don't have any money because they didn't make any mega man games.

Face it, when you just rehash the same game, literally, over and over (street fighter) and you fuck up your most popular franchises, and you start projects and keep cancelling them, you're not gonna be in any good shape, at all.

3. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Edit your post, highlight the text and hit the white eraser. Dark theme Tempers can't see shit with your font like that.

Anyway, old news. This was posted a while ago (when it was fresh).

4. Bryon15
    OP

Bryon15 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    united states
    I agree. I'm not happy with capcom at all. Which is why I laugh at this and hope that they get bought by a more capable company.

5. Celice

Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    Capcom hate--groupjerk mentality, ahoy!

I'd just be bummed that we'd never get to see that fabled Resident Evil 7 come around, should Capcom go under. That was supposed to be the finale to their series, at least. Dunno where it would have gone now.

finkmac likes this.
  6. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    Sad days for the industry, some of my favorite games of all time from the NES and SNES are Capcom games. (some great games on later systems too but it seemed to be less?)

A new Megaman X game in 2D would probably print them money, but it would have to be an honest effort not some half assed cash in game.

Well maybe Nintendo will bail them out or buy them out? (I say Nintendo as it seems like it would be the best fit for those old IP's.)

Edit: Another poster talked about RE, this is another series that seemed to go off the rails after 4... How you can go from 4 to 5... (I tried to like 5 I really did...)

7. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    nintendo should just get it over with and buy them

:ph34r:

OriginalHamster likes this.
  8. GHANMI

GHANMI GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 10, 2012
    How about you release that Metroid Prime-like Megaman game now, Capcom?
    Or you know, that ML3 demo?

I think if what I'm thinking about should happen, Nintendo will localize Monster Hunter 4 by themselves (after all, Nintendo of Spain is already showcasing the Japanese version in manga-themed conventions), and probably buy the IP and Megaman's IP, like they did with Seaman. Ace Attorney and Breath of Fire probably too.
    If they could lump something like Street Fighter, Resident Evil and Devil May Cry however, that could be good for the Wii U... not that I'd like what it spells for Sony versions of these games :(

But Nintendo is the best company that could handle all of those IPs.
    Sony and Namco would be acceptable candidates too, if not for their tendency to under-exploit their franchises (plus don't forget Chibi-Robo was originally a cancelled Namco game that was resurrected by Miyamoto)... Plus Sony cancelled loads and loads of their own franchises, and wasn't especially kind to Capcom's Monster Hunter series..

Konami would just sit on them and maybe outsource them for GREE crappy card-based games on smartphones, like they did with Bomberman and Tengai Makyou (an RPG series on the JP top ten all-time classics, anyone should check Oriental Blue which was recently fan-translated).
    Sega would... Oh well, they couldn't even bother themselves with supplying cash for Bayonetta 2, eventually leading to its effective cancellation among a LOT of other games... until Nintendo stepped in, that is.

Microsoft ... *brings tar and feathers*

Bladexdsl likes this.
  9. WoJjTeK

WoJjTeK GBAtemp Regular

Jun 27, 2012
    Poland
    Poor Devil May Cry franchise :( The only one right now who could do something good with it is PlatinumGames, so it would actually be good if Nintendo bought it, since they've been cooperating for a while now. Also, Megaman... That one would also be safest in Nintendo's hands. Ace Attorney series as well. Goddamn Nintendo, just buy it :D

10. XiTaU

XiTaU GBAtemp Regular

May 15, 2008
    United States
    when u say sony or nintendo why not microsoft they always need a reason for people to actually buy the one and a foothold into Japan.

11. gokujr1000

gokujr1000 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 10, 2008
    Gallifrey
    They rehash Street Fighter like crazy, they destroyed Megaman and they destroyed the Devil May Cry series. This is not surprising.

12. Bryon15
    OP

Bryon15 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 9, 2010
    United States
    united states
    I read somewhere that an american company can't buy a japanese one. It's some kind of law in japan. So microsoft is out. And thank God for that. Why would anyone want microsoft anywhere near capcom? Especially after what they did to Rare.

13. DSGamer64

DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Nov 9, 2007
    Canada
    A cold cold place

They don't have any money because they keep fucking rehashing Street Fighter 4 when people aren't buying it.

14. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    But... but... I need my Super Street Fighter 4 Secret Ultima Hadouken Shoryuken Kamehameha Turbo.

15. McHaggis

McHaggis Fackin' Troller

Oct 24, 2008
    Funny... when I saw the thread title, I joked with myself that people would be suggesting Nintendo should buy them. Sure enough, #6, #7 and #8 didn't let me down.

"COMPANY X IS LOW ON FUNDS, NINTENDO SHOULD BUY THEM!"

Seriously, though, have you guys never heard of business loans or outsourcing? 152 million is easily enough to make a decent game, and they could always borrow more. Yes, they cut over half their staff from Capcom Europe, but they could easily hand a project off to a smaller company looking for an opportunity to make the next big game. Besides, Monster Hunter 4 launched days after news was announced that Capcom only had 152 million in the bank... which makes sense, they spent a lot of money developing the game. But then it sold 3 million copies in 1 month in Japan alone, I'm sure they have a bit more money in the bank now (even if they only took $20 from each sale, about 30% if prices are similar to those in the US, that's $60 million in the bank).

16. shakirmoledina

shakirmoledina Legend

Oct 23, 2004
    Tanzania
    Dar es Salaam
    what is the way out from here? considering that in the economic struggle, software seems to benefit most (just after smartphone, tablets and its likes).

i bet if they focus their resources of mobile gaming once again (android,ios,windows) they would definitely be able to redeem themselves.

17. RupeeClock

RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

May 15, 2008
    Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Dual Destinies is due for a release this Thursday, at least in Europe.
    Let's see if this release don't do some good for Capcom, although the Ace Attorney series though hugely popular among its fans has never been a huge seller.
    That, and they have also opted for a digital only release this side of the pond, it will only be €25/£20, will this be the game's undoing or its salvation?

18. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    No way to play via Gateway (as of yet). I know I'm buying Dual Destinies. Maybe only because I can't pirate it... but Ace Attorney is awesome, so I guess I'll suffer for its sake.

19. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    Honestly I find that I wouldn't much care if Capcom goes under. Only two franchises they haven't completely ruined are Resident Evil (although they certainly tried with ORC, but I can forgive that seeing as it was an outsourced project) and Ace Attorney. As long as decent companies ended up with the rights to those two I'd be glad to see them go.

More likely, though, they'll just start auctioning off rights to franchises they've stopped caring about or no longer believe can be profitable, just to slow the bleeding a bit.

20. Hero-Link

Hero-Link Hero of Derrr

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    But... didn't monster hunter 4 sell like hotcakes in japan?

I believe they aren't that bad at the moment!

Also... its obvious that NO RESOURCES, doesn't mean NO MONEY.

It means, NO TEAM AVAILABLE, you guys should understand how companies work... no resources <> no money.

It just not the same thing.