There still a benefit to hardware modding a 3ds?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by hisagishi, Jun 4, 2015.

1. hisagishi
    OP

hisagishi GBAtemp Regular

Feb 22, 2013
    United States
    Like the title says, if I have a gateway is there still a good reason to HW mod my 3ds? (Non new 3ds)

2. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-atorâ„¢

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    If you like to screw around with it and do things that could possibly brick it, sure there is. As long as you have a NAND backup you can always get it done later you will just be down for awhile. I have been thinking of having it done on my schedule rather than when I F up. Then again I haven't been doing much screwing around with it. :)

3. BerserkLeon

BerserkLeon Not-so-new member

Mar 22, 2010
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    If anything because you have a gateway you're more likely to brick. They don't protect from bricks.
    So yes, there's still a good reason to do the nand-mod.

4. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    If you have 3ds and value hacking it without worry, that alone is a good reason to have a nand mod.

Once you have it, your 3ds can never be unhacked or bricked. It's the closest we'll ever have to a "Permanent CFW".

Last edited by zoogie, Jun 4, 2015
  5. FirstLady

FirstLady GBAtemp Regular

May 25, 2015
    United States
    Alternatively, you could take a chance and if nothing goes wrong, all great, and if something does go wrong then you can HW Mod. ;)

6. NicEXE

NicEXE GBAtemp Fan

Dec 6, 2009
    Cyprus
    You can go crazy and embed an automated FW flasher on your device. Something like: move switch to position 1, turn on 3DS, wait for the led to come up, turn off, move switch to neutral position, turn it on and you there you have 4.5, turn off, move switch to position 2, turn 3DS on, wait for the led to come on, turn it off, turn it on and now you are on 9.2.
    I could think of many different scenarios like having a button do a backup etc