Hacking There is no DS Card inserted.

Guess_Who

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys. I've been very happy with my Acekard 2i, but suddenly it doesn't work. I've tried blowing on the cart, the DS, the microSD slot, all that. I've tried removing it and putting it back in dozens of times with varying amounts of force and pressure. I checked to make sure the microSD card works (it does). Everything! But my DS Lite constantly claims there's no DS card in it. It works with commercial games, so the DS doesn't seem to be the issue. Anyone have any clue how I could fix this?

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
gameboy13 said:
It works fine with my Lites. Have you tried using the card/paper trick?
The AK2i's contacts aren't hitting the DS's correctly. Do what gameboy13 says, use the paper trick. You can follow that guide or you can just cut out a piece of paper just smaller the size of a DS cart and tape the paper onto the logo side of the AK2i. If it still isn't registering, try two pieces of paper, then three (doubt it) and so on.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
gameboy13 said:
Gnargle said:
Reformat. Then reinstall the firmware.
He's using a DS Lite, You can't do that. If you were referring to the card itself, it requires a DS to update the firmware.
Gnargle was referring to the MicroSD. He meant reformat the MicroSD using the Panasonic Formatter and reinstall AKAIO 1.6RC2, right Gnargle?
wink.gif

Guess_Who

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hakoda said:
gameboy13 said:
It works fine with my Lites. Have you tried using the card/paper trick?
The AK2i's contacts aren't hitting the DS's correctly. Do what gameboy13 says, use the paper trick. You can follow that guide or you can just cut out a piece of paper the just smaller the size of a DS cart and tape the paper onto the logo side of the AK2i. If it still isn't registering, try two pieces of paper, then three (doubt it) and so on.

The paper trick doesn't help - my card's not loose. After comparing it to a commercial game, if anything, my Acekard seems just a hair thicker than a commercial cartridge. It still goes into the DS card slot just fine, though.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Guess_Who said:
The paper trick doesn't help - my card's not loose. After comparing it to a commercial game, if anything, my Acekard seems just a hair thicker than a commercial cartridge. It still goes into the DS card slot just fine, though.
It's not that paper trick. It my sliding the a piece of paper/ plastic underneath the contacts trick, the cart doesn't have to be loose.
IMG_3220.JPG

The PCB could have moved in the shell, it's only held in place by a small piece of glue.

Otherwise reflash the Acekard using the unbricking section of the guide, there's not a whole lot else you can do. http://gbatemp.net/t218103-updated-n00b-gu...acekard#unbrick It's possible the firmware (that's not AKAIO) has somehow become corrupted, performing the unbricking procedure will rewrite the firmware.

Are you able to try the Acekard in any other DS?

Miser

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Guess_Who said:
Did you try the paper trick? It's not necessarely about the thickness of the card, the paper goes between the shell of the card and the PCB below the contacts.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dragon574444 said:
Blow on it. If that fails, lick the contacts. Trust me.
I wouldn't LICK the contacts... First for the germ factor, second for the corrosion factor.
But a cotton swab and some rubbing alcohol will not only wet the metal, allowing for better contact, but it will also CLEAN the contacts. And if you leave them somewhat 'dripping' wet when you put the card in, it can clean the inside contacts a little bit too. Just give the DS 5~10 minutes to dry before turning it on.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tk_saturn said:
I doubt he was being serious Twiz.
Well.. the idea is sound...ish.

My rechargable mouse wasn't charging one night and was pissing me off.
I had tried cleaning whatever was on it off, but it wouldn't come off.. so I licked my finger and tried cleaning it like that. It still wouldn't come off (later realized that it was the original plating on the metal rubbing off from wear) but the little bit of wetness left from when I cleaned it made a better connection and allowed it to charge.

Of course, this is where the down-side comes in... About a week later, the contacts were green and tarnished and it wouldn't charge again.

Also, he says 'Trust me.'

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Lol, unfortunately I didn't know that alcohol had some adverse effects to my binoculars (way back when) and I thought the same properties applied...I could never see clearly out of those again xD (not sure what the lenses were made of...could have been plastic for all I know).

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jurassicplayer said:
Lol, unfortunately I didn't know that alcohol had some adverse effects to my binoculars (way back when) and I thought the same properties applied...I could never see clearly out of those again xD (not sure what the lenses were made of...could have been plastic for all I know).
Typically lenses, especially ones for things like binoculars, are coated to reduce glare/uv/etc or with something that can make images more crisp.
When you wash them with alcohol, you break down the coating and it washes away, sometimes leaving a 'fog' on them.

Years back when I was playing Paintball, I got hit in the mask dead-on my eye by someone using cheap paintballs and the paint didn't come off.
I tried to clean it with water, like was suggested but it didn't do anything... so I tried alcohol. The whole area of the lens was foggy and you couldn't see clearly more than 5 feet.

DJ91990

Grookey Gang!
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
When there is a problem with any thing that uses contact leads, the one thing you should never do is blow on or into it.
Blowing on or into a cartridge slot or cartridge deposits moisture.
The corrosive prone contacts will corrode if exposed to moisture and oxygen.
Keeping the card in the game system will reduce the amount of oxygen exposure, if you experience a problem with the card not being read you should try the following:
1 Re-seat the cartridge (that is removing the card completely from the system, the same for the micro sd, and then re-inserting the micro sd and card into the system.)
2 Take a cotton swab and dip it into a bottle of rubbing alcohol (as alcohol is not oxygen based and does not cause corrosion) and clean the contact leads.
3 Try the paper trick as the circuit may not be properly housed in the cartridge and therefor prevents contacts to connect to the system properly.

There was one time frame where my AK2i was not being read by the DSi and I thought it was broken, eventually as time went on the problem stopped. I did not blow on the contacts on into the system. I was just failing to ensure that it was inserted into the system all the way. Even though you hear the click, because the Acekard is based off of a DS card does not mean that it is exact, there could be some faults in design that require you to push it in a little bit more.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DJ91990 said:
When there is a problem with any thing that uses contact leads, the one thing you should never do is blow on or into it.
Blowing on or into a cartridge slot or cartridge deposits moisture.
The corrosive prone contacts will corrode if exposed to moisture and oxygen.
This is bullshit and has been disproven time and time again.

First off, the amount of 'moisture' in your breath is so small it doesn't matter.
-- If you blow open mouth, Huuuuhhhhh, like you're going to polish/shine something, there is more moisture.
-- If you blow 'closed' mouth, Pffffffffffff, like you're blowing something away (DUST FOR EXAMPLE!), there is VERY little moisture. Try it on a glass/mirror.

Second, there is moisture in ALL air.
Yes. The moisture can, will and does corrode contacts. That is why contacts are are coated with something to prevent corrosion.

Proof that blowing (not drooling) into a cart does NOTHING? See anyone who owns an NES.

I have my original NES with original games.
I've been using the 'blow trick' since I first heard about it 20ish years ago.
They all still work.

Please, stop spreading this MYTH.
I first heard about it causing damage from a guy who didn't want to buy certain(?) used NES carts (or maybe just carts from kids) and he would get the kids to 'admit' to blowing into the carts to get them to work and then refuse to buy the games from them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: byes +1