theoretically changing roms on a cartridge

OneOwen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
could you theoretically change any data on an official nds/3ds cartridge to homebrew or would you need an r4 card to load homebrew that way, i was thinking if you could hijack the state of saving a game file and edit other contents, or it could be only editing data on existing files? if so would you be able to edit the game files to make a rom hack on an official cartridge?

OneOwen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not possible. Roms stand for read only memory.
how do save files get saved because i was thinking at least editing and replacing save files manually or through other means, couldnt you run homebrew by overloading the system memory to run external applications

i was hoping to hijack the process where save files get saved so i could edit other data on the cartridge

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how do save files get saved because i was thinking at least editing and replacing save files manually or through other means, couldnt you run homebrew by overloading the system memory to run external applications

i was hoping to hijack the process where save files get saved so i could edit other data on the cartridge

You can't because the game data is ROM, read only memory. For save data on cartridge you can decrypt it with homebrew like jksv / checkpoint or like cybergadget save editor for Japanese cartridges.

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Game data is on MROM (Mask ROM) chip. It's big one on image. It is programmed only once when the chip is produced in the factory (photolithography process). Reprogramming is impossible. Physically impossible (because of the method of production).
Saves are on EEPROM chip. Small one on image.

Attachments

• 1613567558.jpg
    1613567558.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 24

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Game data is on MROM (Mask ROM) chip. It's big one on image. It is programmed only once when the chip is produced in the factory (photolithography process). Reprogramming is impossible. Physically impossible (because of the method of production).
Saves are on EEPROM chip. Small one on image.
For DS games true. For 3DS games... I'm missing deep knowledge here... they are technically rewritable on physical level - to my knowledge.
See card1/card2
https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_Glossary#C

I guess the chip itself will be locked against software attempts to write (outside specified savegame region). Would be a bummer if a software error would end in the game erasing itself.

We don't need to hijack anything. We have full system control over the 3DS. Besides, editing game data (ROM hack) would end in not working games (on unmodified 3DS consoles).

Reactions: The Catboy

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have to ask, why would you want to inject a ROM into a different cart when you could just install a CFW and use CIAs?
https://3ds.hacks.guide/
the easy answer always is: because the other person likes it that way
but there could be many reasons:
1. one might not like to mod his 3ds or a custom cart could be a present
2. there are many pokemon enthusiasts out there who make custom carts of rom hacks including custom label
and this is applicable to other games besides pokemon, but i guess they are the biggest crowd

OneOwen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to ask, why would you want to inject a ROM into a different cart when you could just install a CFW and use CIAs?
https://3ds.hacks.guide/
to load homebrew on unmodified consoles or other useful tools without sd card, and i could use a r4 card to do this but thats boring and i want a challenge, but it seems it may be impossible if it is ill just use an r4 cart to do so

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
to load homebrew on unmodified consoles or other useful tools without sd card, and i could use a r4 card to do this but thats boring and i want a challenge, but it seems it may be impossible if it is ill just use an r4 cart to do so
Just remember that an R4 is limited to DS mode. There is no (simple) homebrew loading on unmodified consoles.
What comes near your idea – rewriteable storage running software in 3DS mode – is Sky3DS+. But that is limited to unmodified cartridge ROMs from the same region as the console (if no CFW is installed).
You can't just slap any random software on it and expect the 3DS security/DRM garbage to accept this.

Reactions: r1vver

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
the easy answer always is: because the other person likes it that way
but there could be many reasons:
1. one might not like to mod his 3ds or a custom cart could be a present
2. there are many pokemon enthusiasts out there who make custom carts of rom hacks including custom label
and this is applicable to other games besides pokemon, but i guess they are the biggest crowd
Fair enough, compelling reasons and respectable

OneOwen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just remember that an R4 is limited to DS mode. There is no (simple) homebrew loading on unmodified consoles.
What comes near your idea – rewriteable storage running software in 3DS mode – is Sky3DS+. But that is limited to unmodified cartridge ROMs from the same region as the console (if no CFW is installed).
You can't just slap any random software on it and expect the 3DS security/DRM garbage to accept this.
im aware of that limitation and plan to start first by getting/making a tool to dump slot 2 cartridges

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all