Gaming The Virtual Console seems to be slightly improving!

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's face it, the last couple of years for the Virtual Console have not been all that great. The service started almost a decade ago and we were getting 2-3 games per week, every Monday. The Wii VC offered not only NES, SNES, and N64 titles, but also Sega Genesis, TurboGrafx-16, NeoGeo, and eventually titles from Sega Master System, Commodore 64, as well as arcade games. Then around 2010-2011, it got worse and the droughts started happening, when the 3DS VC first launched in 2011, it started out great, but for the first half of 2012, it was being treated like shit because nothing was hardly getting released in North America and Europe got Wario Land, Kirby's Block Ball, and Kid Icarus: Of Myths & Monsters, literally months before North America did. Hell, some games like Blaster Master (NES) and Kirby's Dream Land 2 (GB) took almost 2 years to reach the states, pathetic. Fast forward to about a year later when the Wii U Virtual Console launched with some NES and SNES games discounted at 30 cents from January to July 2013 and eventually adding N64, GBA, DS, Wii, and TG-16 games to the roster. They started out releasing a bunch of SNES games in groups (Like the Kirby and Street Fighter II games) and then it went back to being just 1 game a week. Then less than a year later, the 3DS Virtual Console became dormant, until nearly 2 years later when the releases of Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow were released, followed by SNES games, exclusively for the New 3DS. NoA seems to have a poor track record of releasing VC games, months after both JP and EU got them, as was the case with Kirby's Dream Land 2, Super Mario Bros. 3, The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario RPG, Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, Metroid: Zero Mission, and so on. However, the second half of last year was their worst year since early 2012. While Europe was getting 3-4 games a week. NoA got fucked over with only 1 game and it was always a damn GBA game, sometimes even a port of an already existing SNES game on the VC. Then it reached a new low on Christmas Eve. Europe got Super Mario RPG and Super Mario 64 DS, while NoA only got...Super Mario Galaxy. Are you fucking kidding me, NoA? However since the beginning of this year, they have greatly improved. We finally got the NES Zapper games in early January. Then we got a crapload of great games like the GBA version of SMB3 with all e-levels intact, including the ones not released outside of Japan. Then we got the long overdue ones like that JP and EU had for months like Metroid: Zero Mission, and of course Super Mario RPG. We also got some great Wii games like Zack & Wiki, which I have yet to play. It got even better with the Pokemon and SNES games on the 3DS and then recently TG-16 games finally reached North America and Europe is also getting them tomorrow as well. So has Nintendo learned their lesson about the Virtual Console? Probably not, but at least I'll give them an E for effort, for at least trying to improve it in North America after an abysmal 4-5 months from last year. I sure hope this still continues, even when the NX is released next year.

Last edited by 03bgood,

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was the N64 version of Resident Evil 2 that bad? I mean I loved the N64 version of Rayman 2 and hope that is released on the NX Virtual Console. I also would love to see GameCube, Sega CD, Saturn, and Dreamcast games on the NX VC as well.

Last edited by 03bgood,
Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Was the N64 version of Resident Evil 2 that bad? I mean I loved the N64 version of Rayman 2 and hope that is released on the NX Virtual Console. I also would love to see GameCube, Sega CD, Saturn, and Dreamcast games on the NX VC as well.
On the contrary, my friend.
To me the N64 version was the BEST version of RE2 available due to the extras and technical wonder it is.
I have played almost all versions of RE2 available (PS1, Dreamcast, PC, N64, Gamecube) and I can assure you only the Gamecube version beats it in terms of graphical and sound quality. If Nintendo instead took the N64 version for the port and worked the graphical and audio quality above it, it would be the superior version without a doubt.

IMO, the N64 version has extras that are all related to the overall story of the franchise and doesn't have stupid extra missions like that EX Battle shit that I despise so much haha. :P

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the contrary, my friend.
To me the N64 version was the BEST version of RE2 available due to the extras and technical wonder it is.
I have played almost all versions of RE2 available (PS1, Dreamcast, PC, N64, Gamecube) and I can assure you only the Gamecube version beats it in terms of graphical and sound quality. If Nintendo instead took the N64 version for the port and worked the graphical and audio quality above it, it would be the superior version without a doubt.

IMO, the N64 version has extras that are all related to the overall story of the franchise and doesn't have stupid extra missions like that EX Battle shit that I despise so much haha. :P
Why didn't they remake RE2 for the 3DS or Wii U and based it off the N64 port?

We got a remake of Rayman 2 on the DS, based off the N64 port and then another remake on the 3DS, based off the Dreamcast port. The 3DS version is superior to the shoddy DS one.

Last edited by 03bgood,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The problem with the port is given its technical wonders, and how much of a nightmare it was for Angel Studios, Capcom and Factor 5 (who helped rewrite the audio for the game), it's equally nightmarish to emulate properly. Only a couple of emulators and plugins that emulate the RDP and RSP to the LLE level can ever hope to achieve that goal. It's such a pain to set up and get right, and if unofficial emulators barely get it right, Nintendo's emulators don't have a chance in hell :P

What's crazy is that what they did to the N64 version should have been impossible:

- All FMVs intact
- Rewritten audio
- 640 x 480 resolution
- Extra features, i.e. costumes, blood color

All in a 64 MB/512 megabit cart, that is insane

Last edited by the_randomizer,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Why didn't they remake RE2 for the 3DS or Wii U and based it off the N64 port?

We got a remake of Rayman 2 on the DS, based off the N64 port and then another remake on the 3DS, based off the Dreamcast port. The 3DS version is superior to the shoddy DS one.
Highly unlikely to be honest.
None of the RE have gotten official ports to handhelds other than Resident Evil DS, and that was the best we got.

To be honest, RE is an experience best suited for consoles and not handhelds.
We have RE2 Remake coming, so there's one.

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just hope The NX allows you to play all of your NES, SNES, N64, Wii, GB, GBC, GBA, and DS games on the go, in addition to native BC with 3DS and Wii U titles.

The only platform missing is GCN. I also hope they also make 3D ports of VB games. I've never played Wario Land VB before. Is it any good?

Seeing how the NX will have VR capabilities, why can't they remake all of their VB games with the NX's VR technology?

Last edited by 03bgood,

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's also 3rd party consoles like Game Gear, Mega Drive/Genesis, and TurboGrafx-16 as well. We just got TG-16 support and the 3DS has GG games and MD/GEN games in the form of 3D Classics. Will those be playable on the NX as well?

That just leaves NeoGeo, Sega Master System, and arcade titles out of the question since those are only playable via Wii Mode on the Wii U.

Also, keep in mind that some of the NES games are 3D Classics, five in fact; Kirby's Adventure, Kid Icarus, Excitebike, Urban Champion, and TwinBee. All of those, except the last one are available on NA and EU's Wii/Wii U VC. TwinBee is a Japan only release.

Last edited by 03bgood,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
There's also 3rd party consoles like Game Gear, Mega Drive/Genesis, and TurboGrafx-16 as well. We just got TG-16 support and the 3DS has GG games and MD/GEN games in the form of 3D Classics. Will those be playable on the NX as well?

That just leaves NeoGeo, Sega Master System, and arcade titles out of the question since those are only playable via Wii Mode on the Wii U.
Now that you mention it, Mame is one of the emulators that will greatly benefit of the Wii U's added RAM.
We would now be able to boot 32MB+ Arcade roms thanks to the Giga ram :)

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that you mention it, Mame is one of the emulators that will greatly benefit of the Wii U's added RAM.
We would now be able to boot 32MB+ Arcade roms thanks to the Giga ram :)
Maybe M2 could work on a MAME emulator for the NX and we could get a crapload of arcade games! I'd love to play the original version of Avenging Spirit!

Last edited by 03bgood,

ned

Trophies
XP
Country
The problem with the port is given its technical wonders, and how much of a nightmare it was for Angel Studios, Capcom and Factor 5 (who helped rewrite the audio for the game), it's equally nightmarish to emulate properly. Only a couple of emulators and plugins that emulate the RDP and RSP to the LLE level can ever hope to achieve that goal. It's such a pain to set up and get right, and if unofficial emulators barely get it right, Nintendo's emulators don't have a chance in hell :P

What's crazy is that what they did to the N64 version should have been impossible:

- All FMVs intact
- Rewritten audio
- 640 x 480 resolution
- Extra features, i.e. costumes, blood color

All in a 64 MB/512 megabit cart, that is insane

They would of better off using the original 320x240 backgrounds, the compression artifacts make them look like shit a sloppy blinear upscale at best.

ned

Trophies
XP
Country
I think the game only used 480p when the expansion pack was in use, so who knows, Capcom has to be the one that gives the OK.

Doesn't make any difference their worse than the ps1 backgrounds because of the compression artifacts,
their not even 640x480 but various resolutions ranging from 328x215 to 596x437 you can check with project64 texture dumper
with the memory size changed from 4MB to 8MB to enable the exspansion pack, irc it switches the used texture resolution depending on the enemy count.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't make any difference their worse than the ps1 backgrounds because of the compression artifacts,
their not even 640x480 but various resolutions ranging from 328x215 to 596x437 you can check with project64 texture dumper
with the memory size changed from 4MB to 8MB to enable the exspansion pack, irc it switches the used texture resolution depending on the enemy count.

Which I doubt even Nintendo could emulate right, their N64 emulation is meh at best.

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only Project64 can emulate N64 at near perfection. I'd say 90% of the emulation, which is perfect or near perfect, in terms of full speed and lack of graphical glitches.

Last edited by 03bgood,

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About the original post...
Were you expecting anything better of NoA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NoA is absolute shit. Everyone in it should be fired and replaced with people who actually care about more than money. Mother 3, anyone?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water