Not open for further replies.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I taste irony in the air here?

And the only douchey translators are some of the amateurs who do Pokemon. People like Noitora and Psychoblaster both make good translations that aren't about cock wagging but about giving people a good game they can understand. Even some of the Pokemon translators, like WataraKun (who isn't even an amateur since he's doing another translation) isn't a douchebag.

Cry moar pl0x.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Popcorn Fairy said:
Yeah, I'm whining. Big deal. That doesn't change the fact that a large chunk of the requests don't ever get translated.

That doesn't change the fact this doesn't warrant a thread. You're complaining about a thread being "useless" and instead make a useless thread in return. That's the aforementioned irony.

So essentially you're admitting you're just being the spit in the punch and bitching. If you want to actually stop this so-called "unspoken rule" from continuing (even though it's completely poppycock), go learn Japanese and be the people's translator. Imagine the chicks you'd get!

Popcorn Fairy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Popcorn Fairy said:
Yeah, I'm whining. Big deal. That doesn't change the fact that a large chunk of the requests don't ever get translated.

That doesn't change the fact this doesn't warrant a thread. You're complaining about a thread being "useless" and instead make a useless thread in return. That's the aforementioned irony.

So essentially you're admitting you're just being the spit in the punch and bitching. If you want to actually stop this so-called "unspoken rule" from continuing (even though it's completely poppycock), go learn Japanese and be the people's translator. Imagine the chicks you'd get!

Go say that to all the people whose requests have never been fulfilled.

bahamut920

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I think that the fact that most of the games in Translation Requests haven't been translated is a simple problem of volume. A translation project typically requires several people; a translator, a hacker, a proofreader, etc. Sometimes one person can wear more than one hat, but those people are in even shorter supply, and often, a project requires more than one of each of those jobs. All that a translation request requires is a single person with a desire to play a game that isn't in their language yet.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Popcorn Fairy said:
Guild McCommunist said:
Popcorn Fairy said:

Go say that to all the people whose requests have never been fulfilled.

When you've got almost a hundred games on the list and probably only maybe 5 or so well-trained translators capable of doing a project, you're not going to get translations shooting out their asses left and right. It takes months to fully translate a game, not to mention all the time beta testing if revising if you want a well polished one.

Either stop complaining or go learn the resources to do it yourself. Translators aren't your little monkeys to do your bidding. They have lives and their own preferences. If there's a game they REALLY want to translate, that's their priority. Fan translations aren't official jobs or titles. They're privelages. Be lucky we have the ones we have.

Seriously, just shut the fuck up. All you're doing is bitching about how translators are essential "inconsiderate douches" because they won't do what you want. They have their own lives. Go learn Japanese and the hacking skills to make a translation then you can complain to your fellow translators. Until then, stop being an ass.

Popcorn Fairy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bahamut920 said:
Honestly, I think that the fact that most of the games in Translation Requests haven't been translated is a simple problem of volume. A translation project typically requires several people; a translator, a hacker, a proofreader, etc. Sometimes one person can wear more than one hat, but those people are in even shorter supply, and often, a project requires more than one of each of those jobs. All that a translation request requires is a single person with a desire to play a game that isn't in their language yet.

Thank you for giving me an actual response. This is true. But, as you know, some stuff never reaches the US or other countries, so those games can become more or less unplayable to those who don't know the language. I think there should be a focus on good titles that'll never go outside of Japan, instead of other things that are guaranteed a release outside of Japan.

Uzumakijl

Trophies
Website
www.uzumakijl.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Popcorn Fairy said:

You know, The thing i think most pirates hate are silly pirates, Isn't enough for you pirating a game?, Also nobody is paying anybody to do this, So you have no rights to complain. Translating it's not easy, It takes a lot of effort from the hackers and the translators. You should be grateful about people translating games cause nobody gives them anything for it they do it for free for your enjoyment.

Guild McCommunist said:

So essentially you're admitting you're just being the spit in the punch and bitching. If you want to actually stop this so-called "unspoken rule" from continuing (even though it's completely poppycock), go learn Japanese and be the people's translator. Imagine the chicks you'd get! ***

^ This is why i think all of this kind of threads need more Guild.

*** ->
rofl2.gif

QUOTE(Popcorn Fairy @ Nov 25 2009, 04:35 PM)
[...] This is true. But, as you know, some stuff never reaches the US or other countries, so those games can become more or less unplayable to those who don't know the language. I think there should be a focus on good titles that'll never go outside of Japan, instead of other things that are guaranteed a release outside of Japan.

That's how is the gaming industry you are still being silly, I remember some dude bashing Noitora cause "He didn't had foresight" To see which games where going to be released on america before translating these. Now i'm getting the feeling that you are talking about pokemon translations and of regular translations.

OP: Also have you noticed how silly can be this kind of pirates? Look, A nice example:

This dude was being an idiot, He didn't even need a translation to test a damn game...

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Popcorn Fairy said:
Thank you for giving me an actual response. This is true. But, as you know, some stuff never reaches the US or other countries, so those games can become more or less unplayable to those who don't know the language. I think there should be a focus on good titles that'll never go outside of Japan, instead of other things that are guaranteed a release outside of Japan.

I totally agree with you. I just don't think that saying that translators are self loving freaks that only care about cock wagging and nothing else is the right way to get your point across. This thread should have been "Translations should be for only Japan-only games", if that's the point you were trying to get across all along.

If you're talking about Pokemon (which I'm guessing you were), what can you expect? It's a huge title with a tool that makes it so any trained idiot with an internet connection (or fluency in Japanese) can translate. There's only a pinch full of Pokemon translators who can actually hack games and make other translations. Most of them are amateurs who just want to either cock wag or want to translate the game fully because the Hype Monster ate them.

Right now though, a lot of the big translations happening are for Japanese only games. ASH is pretty much fully translated and is in its beta testing phase. Psychoblaster has announced work on Dynasty Warriors Taisen. Noitora is doing Final Fantasy Gaiden, which I wouldn't expect in the states. And there's numerous other ones in progress.

miruki

Trophies
Website
geekouts.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Like Soma Bringer? Or the Summon Night games? Or maybe Kimi no Yuusha? The Tales DS games? ASH?

I don't really see your problem. Of course translation teams will choose the games they favour - but 90% of those games will never get localised. Of course you'll always have games like Pokemon that will be translated out of impatience, but who cares? If it makes them happy to do a menu translation...

But if you're being whiny that nobody translates the games you prefer, get your ass up and learn something to contribute to such a project. Find some ppl who have the same taste and some helpful skill and then do the 6 months of work of translating a game with a small team. And you better not complain about not getting any money for it - or fanboys being all whiny because it's not done yet.

Seriously.....

Popcorn Fairy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Popcorn Fairy said:

I totally agree with you. I just don't think that saying that translators are self loving freaks that only care about cock wagging and nothing else is the right way to get your point across. This thread should have been "Translations should be for only Japan-only games", if that's the point you were trying to get across all along.

If you're talking about Pokemon (which I'm guessing you were), what can you expect? It's a huge title with a tool that makes it so any trained idiot with an internet connection (or fluency in Japanese) can translate. There's only a pinch full of Pokemon translators who can actually hack games and make other translations. Most of them are amateurs who just want to either cock wag or want to translate the game fully because the Hype Monster ate them.

Right now though, a lot of the big translations happening are for Japanese only games. ASH is pretty much fully translated and is in its beta testing phase. Psychoblaster has announced work on Dynasty Warriors Taisen. Noitora is doing Final Fantasy Gaiden, which I wouldn't expect in the states. And there's numerous other ones in progress.
You're right. I really -REALLY- should have worded the OP better. Sorry bout that.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Popcorn Fairy said:
What's the point if the translators don't care about anything except for stuff they want?
And how many projects have you worked on?

None?

"But I can't read Japanese!" you'll say...
Neither can I, yet I worked on the Ragnarok DS translation -- which admittedly it was never completed, but I think it was too big of an undertaking to try to get a 100% complete translation that wasn't helped by the fact that we started during Christmas break only to have the majority of people disappear because they had to return to school.
We got the menus translated...
We got items, armor, weapons, etc...
We got quest info translated...
Everything that made the game playable was translated.

With the amount of effort involved in a translation project, I absolutely cannot blame people who will only work on projects that they like and have an interest in. If you're not interested in a game, you're not going to spend hours a day going through and translating text, or editing the text to sound right and fit and be grammatically correct.
Why would you?
To put that much effort into a project that you have no interest in? That you get no enjoyment from? That's a job.

Popcorn Fairy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
Popcorn Fairy said:
What's the point if the translators don't care about anything except for stuff they want?
And how many projects have you worked on?

None?

"But I can't read Japanese!" you'll say...
Neither can I, yet I worked on the Ragnarok DS translation -- which admittedly it was never completed, but I think it was too big of an undertaking to try to get a 100% complete translation that wasn't helped by the fact that we started during Christmas break only to have the majority of people disappear because they had to return to school.
We got the menus translated...
We got items, armor, weapons, etc...
We got quest info translated...
Everything that made the game playable was translated.

With the amount of effort involved in a translation project, I absolutely cannot blame people who will only work on projects that they like and have an interest in. If you're not interested in a game, you're not going to spend hours a day going through and translating text, or editing the text to sound right and fit and be grammatically correct.
Why would you?
To put that much effort into a project that you have no interest in? That you get no enjoyment from? That's a job.
You must be a pretty bitter person if you get no joy from helping someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.