The switch pro controller changes everything

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by BionicGecko, Aug 3, 2018.

1. BionicGecko
    OP

BionicGecko Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2018
    Czech Republic
    just got myself the pro controller, and it completely changed my perspective on the console - went from somewhat of a child’s toy to a full fledge current generation gaming console.

2. Milenko
    This message by Milenko has been removed from public view by Joe88, Aug 4, 2018, Reason: Off topic.
    Aug 3, 2018
  3. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    It makes games like Street Fighter a lot easier.

4. BionicGecko
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2018
    Czech Republic
    Agreed. Joy cons are great in their own way, but two weeks in and I’m already ordering metal latches because both joy cons just slide right off fthe switch. The pro controller feels exactly like that: a device for pro gamers.

5. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    that dpad...

Glyptofane and Mat37 like this.
  6. MSearles

MSearles GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    United States
    I purchased the pro controller with my console. I used the joycons once. I can't go back to them after using the pro controller.

Xenosaiga and leafeon34 like this.
  7. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    motion controls don't translate very well with the pro controller. I leave that to the joy cons. :)

8. Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    E8 lattice
    This post is about a year too late... Welcome to 2018! /s

9. sith

sith Member

Newcomer
    Apr 10, 2007
    United States
    as godreborn mentioned, try playing celeste on that garb d-pad. I don't get how people love them so much. The thing has buttons that are huge and spaced way apart, not nearly as comfortable to hold as the wiiupro and the triggers have the accuracy of a sawed-off from 1000ft.

the real problem.. $90 CAD

Last edited by sith, Aug 4, 2018
    Captain_Smek and whateverg1012 like this.
  10. Olmectron

Olmectron GBAtemp Addict

GBAtemp Patron
    Olmectron is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 31, 2012
    Mexico
    A game
    Where I live, they cost 168.22$CAD

11. BionicGecko
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2018
    Czech Republic
    Well the latest developments from the past couple of months might have triggered a surge in interest for the switch :)

Last edited by BionicGecko, Aug 4, 2018
  12. whateverg1012

whateverg1012 Fringe Weaver

Sep 23, 2016
    United States
    VA-11 Hall-A
    Overpriced for what if offers and it doesn't have a true dpad, still much better for long play sessions than the joycons though.

13. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Easily the best controller I've used. I don't see how people have issue with the dpad. Can play and beat Celeste just fine with it.

yusuo likes this.
  14. yusuo

yusuo Jam Master Jay

Oct 19, 2006
    United States
    Lovely controller, I was fortunate enough to get mine free due to an amazon mess up

They delivered it to wrong address, I claimed refund then neighbour bought it over a few days later

Last edited by yusuo, Aug 4, 2018
  15. BigPanda

BigPanda GBAtemp Regular

Jul 18, 2016
    Belgium
    Am I the only one who find the Joycons not so responsible or not friendly. I am a huge MegaMan fan. Using a Snes, PS4 or X360 controller on windows I can beat all MegaMan very easly and some of them such as MegaMan 2,3,5, X, X2 without dying. I got the MegaMan / MMX Collections and sometimes I am having a hard time dash / jumping and often die in puts.

Wounder if it is my Joy-cons that starts to be defective or they are just that way.

godreborn likes this.
  16. Haymose

Haymose GBAtemp Fan

Mar 24, 2014
    United States
    Pretty much knew the pro controller would be essential when ppl started reporting that the joycon button size were similar to the 3DS. Ya I can play the 3DS for hours but not comfortably by any means. Also the pro controller has amazing battery life.

17. SANIC

SANIC GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後

Jan 13, 2017
    United States
    MMX collections are known to have input lag on the SNES games

18. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    one of my favorite series. I don't own the collections for the switch. I do have mega man legacy collection 1 for the ps4, but I got that from a humble bundle so it was an after thought. I've easily played more on the switch than all other systems combined, so I need to guy them (probably this month).

I think the problem with dpad is the down input. I've not had down instead of right, but it's happened with down and left. I'm talking about ys viii specifically. and in that game it's not much of an issue. this could be a problem with games that require quick succession of those buttons.

I do use the pro controller for everything but motion controls. motion controls with the pro controller seem awkward. the joy cons are more suited for it. however, I find the joy cons to be too small. I dropped the right one once; since then, I use the wrist straps which can be a chore when you want to drink something. I don't want the joy cons to just dangle while I'm doing that. :P

19. leafeon34

leafeon34 My profile picture is ugly

Sep 30, 2014
    Greece
    Elysium
    If you're into fighting games you should consider picking up the Pokken controller. It's fucking great.

20. mrdude

mrdude GBAtemp Fan

Dec 11, 2015
    I use the Mayflash with a ps4 controller, gaming is much easier.

21. ExploitJunkie

ExploitJunkie GBAtemp Regular

Dec 4, 2017
    United States
    Welcome to the pro club. What took you so long?