The Switch banning situation

error-code.jpg

Those that decide to hack their systems know that there's always the chance of either bricking, or banning. Many of those that installed CFW or installed unauthorized software onto their Nintendo 3DS systems faced an online ban, back in 2017. With exploits and modchips becoming the talk of the town, and the Switch scene progress in general, there's the growing question of "what about bans?".

It began with known Switch hacker Shiny Quagsire finding out that their Switch had been banned. That alone is shocking, but not only was one of their systems banned, but two. They received error code 2124-4007 on their alleged non-hacked Nintendo Switch.

The screen suggests users to contact Nintendo Support with the error code, which the user in question did. Below, are two alleged chat sessions regarding the error code.

DdwZn8mVQAIUzR9.jpg DdwYnApVAAA3-kb.jpg
One of the responses was that the ban would not be lifted, and that the End User License Agreement had been broken. This error code prevents those from accessing the eShop, online gaming, or the friend list and social aspects. Updating or patching one's game still functions, however.

ShinyQuagsire then attempted to play Splatoon 2, and successfully voted for a team during the Splatfest, but trying to play a match brought back the same error code once more, stating that online features were restricted by Nintendo. It was then revealed that the "unhacked" Switch had once run the Homebrew Launcher, as well as PegaSwitch, the latter of which is an exploit toolkit that can write custom code to the system.

Later, another Switch hacker, SciresM also spoke up about his own console getting banned. CDN was cited as a potential cause, though ShinyQuagsire wasn't so sure, as the last time they'd done anything regarding that was months ago, meaning Nintendo could have retroactively banned them, or is only going after them now.

CDN, "Content Distribution Network", as described by Nintendo themselves is

Nintendo said:
Content delivery network providers enable faster video streaming and support the delivery of content you have requested, e.g. when using Nintendo eShop, by using a system of distributed servers that deliver the content to you, based on your geographic location. We may therefore share your information (including your IP address) with our third party content delivery network providers that provide content delivery network services in connection with Nintendo Account Services, Nintendo Network and the official Nintendo website, some of which may act as third-party data processors only

CDN downloaders had been used to download content directly to a computer from Nintendo services, and currently, this is what is considered to have most likely caused the bans at this time. Shiny Quagsire also knows another user who had a Switch banned, which never used the Homebrew Launcher, but did access and mess with the CDN. At this time, only Switch hackers appear to have been affected, not the average user. If more information becomes available, this post will be updated to include such.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm curious if Nintendo cares about save editing in Singleplayer games. I do understand them bringing the hammer to the online games. Since this time around they shouldn't be forgiving and ban anyone who edited their multiplayer saves.
They wholesale removed any save backup capability from the system because that was used as a vector for hacking the 3DS, so... would say that yes.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
They wholesale removed any save backup capability from the system because that was used as a vector for hacking the 3DS, so... would say that yes.
Nah man, they just implemented it for online cloudsaving. But yeah, I know they removed it because of that. However we still don't know if they care or can check the singleplayer for it. Multiplayer is a whole different story.

Last edited by linuxares,
Reactions: CallmeBerto

chirogan

The Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
It could be one of the reasons. Whether your switch logs unathorized accesses like running homebrew, or messing with cDN, we could not tell. It could be one or all. So until everything is confirmed, we should not stay put.
They are learning a lot of things from the previous generations.

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
Whenever I have installed a hack on a console, I have pretty much accepted that I am to forgo online with it. Despite varying methods of still getting online, I haven't even attempted it due to any potential files that could be sent to it or logs of it's MAC address being taken. I'm a bit baffled why people still try regardless of the risk.

Reactions: AdamFX990
D

Deleted User

One little thing I'm questioning: apparently someone is saying that if you had an account that got banned on a 3ds, and you use the same e-mail for a Nintendo account, that you're getting banned.

I THINK, but cannot remember, that i used the same email as my old banned 3ds account. Hopefully not the case though as it really does seem to look like its something to do with messing with the CDN.

Edit: for clarification, old 3ds account was banned, afaik my Switch account isn't banned (currently on 4.1 so can't check), but the two share the same e-mail.

Last edited by ,

AdamFX990

Confused Humanoid
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Whenever I have installed a hack on a console, I have pretty much accepted that I am to forgo online with it. Despite varying methods of still getting online, I haven't even attempted it due to any potential files that could be sent to it or logs of it's MAC address being taken. I'm a bit baffled why people still try regardless of the risk.

I agree with this. I feel most people probably do. But PC is my main gaming platform for multiplayer games so its not really any loss for me. But with Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft all charging for online services now, I really don't see any reason not to homebrew & CFW the buggery out of my systems. Maybe I could see the logic for a mega hardcore splatoon fan. But otherwise I think there's much more value to be gotten out of any console with homebrew. I can't even remember how many times I've completed Quake on my 3DS at this point. :yay3ds:

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you ban people that did nothing wrong, then do not wonder why they will pirate afterwards

if u ran hombrew of anything thats doing wrong

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Whoops... so everyone that has jumped on any form of home-brew is already at risk now? :(

yes

goldensun87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What if you get an error code with your Switch's internet connection turned off? Will the console still send the error codes when you connect to the internet?

lordhell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So just to clarify, only 3 known banned Switchs? (2 from shiny and 1 from sciresm)?
I think i remember in some point shiny mentioned someone else.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if error codes are the source of bans then probably 2/3's of 5.02 users might get a possible ban from running the incompatible apps

lordhell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Do we know what caused those ban?
I mean, not the technical cause but like, what exploit has been used that caused tbe ban?
If its the one used by tx, i might not buy it then
The most suspected thing is accessing the CDN servers which requires a unique key (cert) from a Switch. Then theres the case of Shiny who says that he only used pegaswitch and early versions of homebrew launcher.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So just to clarify, only 3 known banned Switchs? (2 from shiny and 1 from sciresm)?
I think i remember in some point shiny mentioned someone else.
Yes. Nintendo probably banned those as a middle finger to the devs. They're probably keeping a huge log of us, and plan to have a huge ban wave in the future. Probably the same day Pokemon or Smash is released, just as a fuck you.

D

Deleted User

The purpose of banning a few high profile scene members is to make an example of them which delivers a clear message to everyone else: hack your Switch and this will happen to you too. It's possible that everyone who has run some sort of hack on their Switch then gone online has been flagged for a ban.

Given that your still allowed to download game and system updates getting banned doesn't seem that bad to pirates. You still have local multiplayer and in the future there will be unofficial methods available to install eShop games. Those who own one hacked and one unhacked Switch can hack Pokemon on one Switch then trade the hacked Pokemon to the unhacked Switch.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: naddel81 and Minox

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things