The Switch banning situation

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, May 23, 2018.

1. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    error-code.jpg

Those that decide to hack their systems know that there's always the chance of either bricking, or banning. Many of those that installed CFW or installed unauthorized software onto their Nintendo 3DS systems faced an online ban, back in 2017. With exploits and modchips becoming the talk of the town, and the Switch scene progress in general, there's the growing question of "what about bans?".

It began with known Switch hacker Shiny Quagsire finding out that their Switch had been banned. That alone is shocking, but not only was one of their systems banned, but two. They received error code 2124-4007 on their alleged non-hacked Nintendo Switch.

The screen suggests users to contact Nintendo Support with the error code, which the user in question did. Below, are two alleged chat sessions regarding the error code.

DdwZn8mVQAIUzR9.jpg DdwYnApVAAA3-kb.jpg
    One of the responses was that the ban would not be lifted, and that the End User License Agreement had been broken. This error code prevents those from accessing the eShop, online gaming, or the friend list and social aspects. Updating or patching one's game still functions, however.

ShinyQuagsire then attempted to play Splatoon 2, and successfully voted for a team during the Splatfest, but trying to play a match brought back the same error code once more, stating that online features were restricted by Nintendo. It was then revealed that the "unhacked" Switch had once run the Homebrew Launcher, as well as PegaSwitch, the latter of which is an exploit toolkit that can write custom code to the system.

Later, another Switch hacker, SciresM also spoke up about his own console getting banned. CDN was cited as a potential cause, though ShinyQuagsire wasn't so sure, as the last time they'd done anything regarding that was months ago, meaning Nintendo could have retroactively banned them, or is only going after them now.

CDN, "Content Distribution Network", as described by Nintendo themselves is

CDN downloaders had been used to download content directly to a computer from Nintendo services, and currently, this is what is considered to have most likely caused the bans at this time. Shiny Quagsire also knows another user who had a Switch banned, which never used the Homebrew Launcher, but did access and mess with the CDN. At this time, only Switch hackers appear to have been affected, not the average user. If more information becomes available, this post will be updated to include such.

2. bennyman123abc
    This message by bennyman123abc has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, May 23, 2018, Reason: Useless post.
    May 23, 2018
  3. ElijahZAwesome
    This message by ElijahZAwesome has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, May 23, 2018, Reason: Useless post.
    May 23, 2018
  4. BlueFox gui
    This message by BlueFox gui has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, May 23, 2018, Reason: Useless post.
    May 23, 2018
  5. ElijahZAwesome

ElijahZAwesome Hey. I exist. Woo

Jul 12, 2016
    United States
    Narnia
    OK real comment, It would seem that accessing the CDN is the problem, which would suck for anything similar for freeshop to come up. and theres speculation that theyre banning user/accounts, not just one switch. It sounds like it wont, but hopefully it doesn't effect us too harshly anytime soon.

Proto-Propski likes this.
  6. chrisrlink

chrisrlink your friendly neighborhood serial killer

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    Elm street
    hmmmm only switch hackers? dev's you mean that seems odd to me as to suppose ban anyone who hacked their switch

7. MarcusCarter
    This message by MarcusCarter has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, May 23, 2018, Reason: Useless post.
    May 23, 2018
  8. JellyPerson

JellyPerson JellyPerson#6885 on Discord, hmu!

Jul 26, 2017
    Korea, North
    Pyongyang
    Okay. There are only a few Switch users who are banned right now. RIP them. But the whole community is going apeshit because of that. Downloading from CDN may be the cause of it, so I'd say if you want to pirate, ****maybe**** I'll set up a specific switch ISO site, so you don't have to download from CDN

9. CeeDee
    This message by CeeDee has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, May 23, 2018, Reason: Reply to trashed post.
    May 23, 2018
  10. ElijahZAwesome
    This message by ElijahZAwesome has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, May 23, 2018, Reason: And we wonder why we can never have nice things.
    May 23, 2018
  11. Beerus

Beerus Gbatemp's God Of Destruction

May 3, 2017
    Canada
    Universe 7
    Rip those brave soldiers 400$(cad) gone :( hope there is a friend seed injector like for the 3ds

12. bennyman123abc
    This message by bennyman123abc has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, May 23, 2018, Reason: Useless post.
    May 23, 2018
  13. Darkyose

Darkyose Mysterious

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Home Alone Somewhere.
    Oh wow. Maybe Nintendo is chasing them now. They might as well use new nicknames.....................

14. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N can't think of anything creative to put here

Jun 7, 2016
    Antarctica
    Hell
    Wow, looks like Nintendo is getting increasingly aggressive with the bans against hackers. The 3DS really only had mass banwaves right before releases of big games (mainly Pokemon SUMO and USUM), but this is the first I've heard of users getting banned just for running the Homebrew Launcher. Security seems tighter this time around. Maybe this is where some of that online subscription money is going towards?

Red771, Alkéryn and Darkyose like this.
  15. aerios169

aerios169 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    Mexico
    well nity is triying to alert us, or in other part intimidating us. they know that hackers will report that they were banned, also this maybe is related with xcuter "chip". In other words when the cfw arrives they will ban alot of people =/, thats the message.

Ericthegreat, THYPLEX and zeveroth like this.
  16. MasterJ360

MasterJ360 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    Well atleast its CDN and not making save dumps thats literally all I do with mine

17. JellyPerson

JellyPerson JellyPerson#6885 on Discord, hmu!

Jul 26, 2017
    Korea, North
    Pyongyang
    The online subscriptions haven't even started

MeAndHax, Pluupy and Xabring like this.
  18. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N can't think of anything creative to put here

Jun 7, 2016
    Antarctica
    Hell
    Ah, fair enough, I forgot about that. Still though, if they can't adequately protect their own servers from hackers who have softmodded their Switch, a lot of people would put less stock in handing over their money to the company.

Ritsuki, Darkyose and JellyPerson like this.
  19. Solitario

Solitario Member

Newcomer
    Feb 18, 2018
    Brazil
    R.I.P

20. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    But sciresm happens to be a huge part of the scene - so it's significant that he's been banned.

21. Justinde75

Justinde75 VGM Addict

Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    Stray Sheep Bar
    Exactly why I still dont have a set up connection on my switch.

22. x65943

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    If you access cdn from your computer, and they log your errors - you have the potential to get banned if/when you ever do connect the switch to online services. They can ban a switch that isn't online - because they are banning based on your dumped switch creds.

23. Justinde75

Justinde75 VGM Addict

Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    Stray Sheep Bar
    I dont really mess with that kinda stuff right now

x65943 likes this.
  24. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    If CDN programs like that wii u usb helper downloader was being used by lots of people, then they have been banning all of them. I doubt they do IP bans. :ninja:

25. GameSystem

GameSystem GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    Good thing there are only like 5 online games for the Switch. I can see a lot of people just outright not caring. Tons of single player games to have fun with.

26. Darksabre72

Darksabre72 Blue Falcon

Nov 26, 2016
    United States
    so is nintendo reading the game database of the console to see if it's legit or signed to that account?

27. x65943

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    Difference is that the wiiu cdn downloaders don't use dumped wiiu credentials specific to a console.

The switch cdn downloader uses console specific information to access the cdn - and thus opens the door to bans.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice