The Sopranos

cubin'

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finally finished watching the sopranos after all these years although I'm a little behind everyone else.

Not sure what to think about the ending...was angry at first but as I thought about it I wondered how else would I want it to end? In some drama filled blaze of glory? Nuh I'm kinda happy with it I guess. It lets you choose what happens in your own mind.

What I think happened when they cut from the final scene to a black screen -

The last scene was so tense, something had to be afoot IMO. That guy lurking over near the bar with the members only jacket was sent to take out Tony I reckon. It reminded me of a scene in the godfather (tony refers to it as his favorite scene earlier in the series) where Michael Corleone retrieves a gun from the toilet before killing his enemies in the diner. Also when Bobby was talking to tony earlier in season 6 he comments on how suddenly and silently death can happen and that you wouldn't even notice it - which kind hints at the sudden black screen as being Tony's last memory before he and his family are killed.

On the other hand I'd like to think meadow came and joined them at the table and they all had a nice dinner together. The song choice of 'Don't Stop Believing' kind of points to this unless Chase wanted it to be ironic. The Sopranos has always been about family and I guess it would be fitting to end how it began.

The final shot. Tony looking up as his daughter enters the diner:

Sopranosfinale.jpg

Awesome series and I'm very sad it's over
frown.gif
I think I'm finally satisfied with the finale though.

IF anyone hasn't seen it and liked the movie Goodfellas I recommend this series to the XTREME.

What do some of you other dudes think about the finale? Or the series as a whole?

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't watch the whole series, but I saw enough of the episodes to get an idea of what was going on throughout the series. The last episode was intense to be sure, but it was a little overdone, I mean, the whole cheesy 80's song, the whole framing similar to the last supper, all the false sounds that could've been a gunshot, etc... But yeah, I'm not sure how else they could have ended it either.

herbanassault

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
All in all, I think the fade to black concept is a weak cop-out ending. The creator can say what he will to defend it, but that doesn't make many fans happy with it. At the end of the day, that's who the show is for.

If he's trying to impress people with his style, I think that's a bit pompous.

cubin'

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
All in all, I think the fade to black concept is a weak cop-out ending. The creator can say what he will to defend it, but that doesn't make many fans happy with it. At the end of the day, that's who the show is for.

If he's trying to impress people with his style, I think that's a bit pompous.

If he was doing it to get style points I'd agree that it's a bit pompous. But after writing tony for 6 years I think I'd find it hard to kill him off
frown.gif

Seemed like everyone wanted a gory ending but that wouldn't make me happy. We're so used to neat little boxes of storyline with all the ends tied up - we're all a bit spoiled if you ask me. With the cut to black (not fade to black(sorry for being anal - big difference)) it lets us make up our own mind which is cool. Don't get me wrong I was frustrated at first but the other possible endings which are:

-Tony dies
-Tony and his family live happily ever after

Would be so much worse IMO. It prob. makes a big difference if you've seen the whole series compared to episodes here and there also.

I guess it could be seen as a cop out as well
tongue.gif

I read something the other day someone wrote about how the final scene is US getting wacked. The viewers being killed rather than what everyone was expecting. Kinda makes sense but is also a bit wanky.

QUOTEI mean, the whole cheesy 80's song, the whole framing similar to the last supper, all the false sounds that could've been a gunshot, etc...

Cheesy?! One of my favorite songs! When Tony is looking through the jukebox songs we see a few frank sinatra songs and I was sure he was gonna choose one of them. BUT THEN JOURNEY COMES ON...awesome. I guess not everyone can love 80's music though
tongue.gif

I like the idea that it was framed like the last supper. Didn't think of that.

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Cubin', didn't you notice how the 2 or 3 episodes before the finale tony and bobby talkd about how when you get whacked it probably just goes black? How you don't see it coming, it's just everything goes dark and silent?

Then at the diner every time the door opened the bell would chime and tony would look up to see who it was and the camera would show us tonys view showing who was walking in. Then meadow walked in and it goes to tonys view, then all the sudden...nothing. black, silence. Just like him and bobby had said in the past few episodes.

They also had said that leotardo had hundreds of foot soldiers. So I think it was a retaliation hit against tony. and instead of showing the bullet hit tony in an overdone generic mafioso movie shootout. they show it from tonys view like they had been doing every time the door opened. With blackness the way they had described on the boat.

edit: to sick wario, you can't judge the last episode without seeing prior episodes, if you read my post you'll understand why and see that in all probability tony was killed. But like I said you would have needed to see prior episodes to get it.

Sick Wario

Club Nintendo
Trophies
XP
Country
i never saw every episode, but liked the show. HOWEVER the series finale was maybe the worst finale i have ever seen. the creator guy should have had the balls to kill tony like everyone 'hoped' would happen.

unless there is a movie pending........

Switchy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
I really thought Meadow was going to get run over in front of the diner..
The way the suspense seemed to be rising.

I saw each and every episode of the Sopranos and was a bit sad at the end of the last episode that it ended so simply. But after a while, it dawned on me how great they ended it
smile.gif
I miss new episodes though!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.