OP
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
gAlDV.png

Hello Tempers and lurkers!

My school has asked me to make a research paper on a topic of choice, and part of that is to do primary research.
The topic I had decided to do is about the punishment of piracy. Therefore, I'm collecting information on exactly what kind of punishments/fines are appropriate for common piracy on a scale as global as possible.

GBAtemp happens to be one of the better places to do this, with a big userbase over many countries.

The information will only be shared with my teacher and no one else. I can guarantee this.
Information collected includes your age, gender and location.

To start the survey, please click here.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Again, I'd like to thank you all for your cooperation and support. It would be very kind of you to also pass on the link to your friends in order to have bigger coverage on the survey (though you are under no obligation to do this.)

Peace,

Ace
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

It appears I have done the mistake of using a payed service that's trying to fool me for money.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just took it. really i think it should be the cost of the product pirated. its that simple, nothing more was lost and needs to be recovered than that. asking for more is allowing the justice system to legally steal from someone.

Reactions: 7 people

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
just took it. really i think it should be the cost of the product pirated. its that simple, nothing more was lost and needs to be recovered than that. asking for more is allowing the justice system to legally steal from someone.
That's just the same thing I put myself, lol. Personally I doubt pirating one song cost a company 250,000$ in profit...if it does, then I take back that statement.

Reactions: 3 people

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
OP
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
Crap.

It appears that to see the results after you've surveyed over 50 people, you have to pay :glare:
Guess I'll just have to do that now :lol: Thanks for all the help!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I guess they take in account different element to say they lost that many money for only one pirated song.

They take the fact that you re-distribute it.
If you download it (not on P2P), and don't share it, then paying the product price is the correct punishment as you just buy what you own to re-equilibrate the balance.

If you are implicated in the uploading process, you make the company a bigger possible loss (think about Kongnutz uploading New Super Mario, Nintendo decided that it has been downloaded 1 million of time for free after only 1 upload).

Catching only one uploader instead of many downloaders is maybe easier, then they make them pay for the supposed loss.

But I think each pirated arts should be treated differently.
On a more specific fact:

This concern pirating American TV shows for people on different countries.

I don't think I should pay anything at all, as the company doesn't loose anything.
They already paid for the production. They are paid by other countries acquiring the rights to distribute it on their respective channels.

When broadcasted, I can record it with my recorder on VHS (or media boxes, HDD, etc.) because I'm not home at that time, or asleep. I have 100% right to record it and watch it later. (VHS are not forbidden).

What difference if I record it on MY own VHS or on a computer to watch it when I want?
I watch it again both in English and in French when the show is broadcasted again in France anyway. So they have their "watch quota" to tell the serie is working good and they will buy the next season ... but they won't because USA don't shoot another season because of bad audience. Foreigner's audience doesn't have any impact on a show.

I don't buy it when it's freely broadcasted on TV, except for the annual TV taxe, and I pay that annual TV taxe whether I watch it or not (it's based on whether you own a TV or not in France).
I don't think I'm making any loss on any company for not watching it on TV at the given time.
If I go to restaurant that day instead of watching it, should I be fined because I didn't watch the show at the time it was decided by the channel?
You could say "but there are advertisings too", and that's false. In France not every channels have them. You can watch and record without advertisements, all is "ALREADY" paid annually anyway.

then again, there's a market for "people who miss it, then buy it on DVD/Bluray". But usually only Fans buy TV series in DVD/Bluray, and fans already watched them on TV to decide that they like a show.

But that's only for broadcasted TV shows.
I agree that pirating the last cinema movie is different, as you don't pay your ticket and the producer doesn't get enough money.
But once such movie is broadcasted freely on the TV years later, the company shouldn't charge the user to "watch it when he wants".

Reactions: 1 person

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
OP
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
Appears some people didn't quite get the format:

Answer the two last questions with JUST numbers. It'll make compilation much easier without having me sift through the results for hours. :lol:

loco365

Trophies
XP
I thought the exact same thing as @Cyan did. Since getting a pirated copy of any piece of media means to have not bought it but still have a copy of that media, that'd mean that using cassettes to record of the air or using a digital recorder would also be illegal because you're getting a copy of paid media without paying.

*is taking survey*

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: