Homebrew The official "Should I update?" Thread.

TamDanny

GBATemp 3DS Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@TamDanny
yes i see he is trying to help but his help will likely do more harm than good
1.) have you noticed after cfw (9.2)there are less and less hbc entry points as you get so how can an update be good for homebrew
2.) he puts his opinion into it while making it sound like a fact EX: menuhax may be the most convenient hbc entry point but is in no way "the most efficient exploit" the 3ds has i mean in this same box he mentions kernel (exploit) and still makes it sound like menuhax is "the shit" (also op if you did not know a 3ds game has better access to features/permissions than the theme aspect of the home menu and or browser)
3.) see quotes below
this is the main point i have tho most exploits don't get released or even mentioned to the public until they have either more exploits as backups or until they are patched and if you are racing to update then you will likely miss out . . . so this thread will likely encounter many tempers who feel like me (some of wich may even be as outspoken as me) i have heard so many stories that go just like this
i more than don't like this kind of thread i hate them they give more remorse than help
4.) also the title of the thread "should i update?" suggest that that an update is a good thing the only point he ever really says is a plus of doing this action is access to nintendo badge arcade like a pay to play game (that you can pay into loose and get nothing btw) is worth an update . . .yeah . . . and once again i will say and possibly more clearly this time. as a homebrew and/or piracy (cfw) scene/community we should not recommend that anyone updates ever, unless it is to access more homebrew and or cfw (piracy) options not less!

so yup pretty misleading

one last thing i also think the sig is extremely funny but i am sure that i am correct it obviously speaks to cfw and not similar things as the sigs only question is about 10.x and a form of rom you cant install without cfw while if it was similar then they could be told about sky3ds and and then no lol's . . . it is what it is and it does not work otherwise (would not be true therefore not funny)
Yeah, I see your point with all this. I would like to see this as a post to see what you could be losing out on when not updating, but, as you mentioned, this thread's purpose is to say whether it's ok to update, which we can all agree on, is something that never is good to do. Maybe it could be used for those people that just have to update because of reasons (in my case, for example, I want to do a system transfer but both systems need to be on the latest firmware, thanks to update reasons), but i dunno.

Also, not everything funny is supposed to be true. Just saying...

Mythrandir

Life-long Learner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This late to the scene n00bie plebeian would like some opinions insight.

I have a 10.1 sysNAND o3DS XL (MenuHax/NinjHax), a 9.9 sysNAND o3DS XL (MenuHax/NinjHax) and a 9.0 sysNAND N3DS XL (pending CFW installation). Because my NNID is linked to the 10.1 sysNAND o3DS XL, I have been considering the idea of updating it to regain access to NNID services. I would love to be able to perform a system transfer from the 10.1 sysNAND o3DS XL to the 9.0 sysNAND N3DS XL. From what I've read, this is not currently possible if I wish to run CFW on the 9.0 sysNAND N3DS console. With that in mind, should I update the 10.1 sysNAND o3DS XL? Would it be worth look[ing] into hard modding the 10.1 sysNAND console before updating?

I'd just like a bit more insight on my options and this thread seemed to be an appropriate place to seek such insight.

Last edited by Mythrandir,

arda

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have old 10.0.27 . It seems I can update to latest version but it's pointless without ninjhax

GreatCrippler

Greatness Fallen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I finally got around to tinkering with my spare O3DS. It's on 8.1 I currently use Cubic Ninja to launch RX tools, and it is on the latest Emunand. I kind of want an entryway that doesn't require me to use a cart, but going to 9.2 and changing it to use the theme thingy seems like kind of a pain. I assume I am better off just leaving the CN cart in?

lallilulelo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hey guys, a little help here. I use Ironhax, and I updated to 10.3.0 without updating the payloads, now it will just crash everytime I try to enter. Is there a way to fix it? I have no other homebrew entrypoint, since Tubehax was patched, and I am on an OLD3DS XL. Am I screwed?

Substance12

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hey guys, a little help here. I use Ironhax, and I updated to 10.3.0 without updating the payloads, now it will just crash everytime I try to enter. Is there a way to fix it? I have no other homebrew entrypoint, since Tubehax was patched, and I am on an OLD3DS XL. Am I screwed?

Yes, you're screwed.

the assaf

Trophies
XP
Country
You should mention browserhax and spiderhax consideration:o3ds users can enjoy spiderhax (cheats and ram dumps) if they have fw version lower then 9.5.
O3ds users will lose sliderhax if they update to 9.9 or greater, however, in <=9.8 you can set menuhax.

And you can install badges via homebrew without badge arcade (I have 10.1 and badges and I never installed badge arcade)

*I don't know so much about spiderhax so don't trust my word

FM360

Kappa
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
I feel like 10.1 user should update if they are waiting for kernel because at this point kernel theme hax is basically a dream.

Jaitsu

Yet Another GBATemp Furry
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd disagree on the "don't update" for 4.5 users - I think it was worth upgrading to 9.0-9.2 specifically (by using sysupdater and an update CIA pack from that iso site) because of menuhax - you can't just turn your 3DS on and have it effectively go straight to rxTools/emuNAND with 4.5, at least not any way I'm aware of. (Or is there some downside to being on 9.0~9.2 versus 4.5 that I'm not aware of? Everything that works on 4.5 works up to 9.2, no? Other than old MSET stuff, but you can patch that anyway...)

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd disagree on the "don't update" for 4.5 users - I think it was worth upgrading to 9.0-9.2 specifically (by using sysupdater and an update CIA pack from that iso site) because of menuhax - you can't just turn your 3DS on and have it effectively go straight to rxTools/emuNAND with 4.5, at least not any way I'm aware of. (Or is there some downside to being on 9.0~9.2 versus 4.5 that I'm not aware of? Everything that works on 4.5 works up to 9.2, no? Other than old MSET stuff, but you can patch that anyway...)
. . . the guide is ment to be a place for someone who does not have cfw or hbc set up yet you know a new user . . . but there is no links to relevent info(s) that is the another problem with this guide and the reason for your assuming that that this guide speaks to all users and not just those new to the 3ds scene . . . but as for a proper response to your concern not all "mset stuff" can be tweaked into working on 9.2/9.0 but true most can, and gateway was written for 4.x and so gateway things tend to run a tad bit faster/smother on 4.x as a result

Last edited by wormdood,

GBATemp Irregular
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally got around to fixing the banner.

94b7445d993d64cc1b151f783cbc36cc522d66450f84910718564c08ad30a522e34b55a0bf525dddda39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd807095937_zpssr5xjxy5.png

the assaf

Trophies
XP
Country
I think that this thread need to be updated now new haxes version is out.
However, I didn't find any place to ask that so:
I have o3ds version 10.1, ironhax, menuhax, oothax (2.1 because I want to play oot in addition) and I can write cubic ninja to my sky3ds. What I gain/lose if I'll update? (Wil I be able to use menuhax/oothax 2.1. Will it block any kexploit? Will I'll regain access to browserhax?)
And my friend have o3ds 10.1 with just menuhax, should he update and install ironfall, if yes, how? I can use my sky3ds oot/cn if needed.

Toiry921

Maki Best Girl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update to 9.2 for cold boot into CFW
Best Version since 4.5 has ColdBoot to CFW Don't Update
With ShuffleHax no real reason to stay might as well update for now
Up to you SNSHax will only support this version but MemChunksHax will support 10.3
No reason to stay here all hax here works on 10.3 as well Update for Badge Center Support
Latest Update enjoy all the new hax and the things to come with eshop access dont update to 10.4 if nintendo releases it soon

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
If you are on 9.3 or above, update your system now
BrowserHax and MenuHax are back!
Not really. From what I understood, SNSHax will allow downgrading and won't work on 10.2+ so you don't want to update if you're under 10.1, especially on a New 3DS (but they talked about workarounds for Old 3DS so maybe a downgrade will see the day there too).

NodePoint

  
Trophies
that was a lie -- actually somewhere in europe
XP
Country
United States
At this point, if you're on 9.3 and above then you might as well update to 10.3. :P
of course assuming you haven't done the Gateway thing
There's SNSHax for 10.1 and below but I'm not sure if that's going to be released any time soon considering how complex it's going to be and that MemchunkHax is a thing for the latest firmware anyway.

Last edited by NodePoint,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, on that android PC? +1