The Ocarina of Time decompilation project is complete, source code fully reverse engineered

zelda.png

After two hard years of work, the Zelda Reverse Engineering Team has finished one of their biggest projects: recreating The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time's source code, from scratch. We've seen similar successful attempts in the past, such as when Super Mario 64 was also decompiled, which spawned further fan projects that saw the game ported to the Nintendo Switch before Nintendo could, and with widescreen and 60fps support, to boot.

This is a WIP decompilation of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. The purpose of the project is to recreate a source code base for the game from scratch, using information found inside the game along with static and/or dynamic analysis. It is not producing a PC port.

Currently, the official website for the decompilation shows the project at 98% completion, as the last finishing touches are done, but are yet to be submitted as a pull request on the project's GitHub. Once it's completed and publically available, it's likely we'll see PC ports and mods being made--not from the ZRET team themselves though, as they want to focus purely on documenting their work and trying to reverse engineer different versions of Ocarina of Time and other Zelda games. For now, the decompilation applies to the Master Quest release of Ocarina of Time on the GameCube.

We thought for a time that we may never be able to match every function completely, so this is an incredibly exciting accomplishment. Dozens of people helped work on this project, and together we were able to achieve something amazing.

If you're looking for other Zelda fan projects to tide you over until the decompilation is released, then you might want to check out the Spaceworld '97 Experience romhack, which came out last week.

:arrow: Source

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if we learned ane thing from RE3/VC It doesn't matter wether or not it was RE'd legally if published, it's fair game for c&d/lawsuit

it's illegal to post decompiled source code RE'D or leaked yes RE'ing for educational/curiosity reason's is legal publishing the code is not however

I would read this from the eff on RE'ing it's actually legally grey not 100% legal as you may think https://www.eff.org/issues/coders/reverse-engineering-faq#faq2

Reactions: CanIHazWarez

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
if we learned ane thing from RE3/VC It doesn't matter wether or not it was RE'd legally if published, it's fair game for c&d/lawsuit
No, the RE3/VC project apparently used dumped reversed code.
While SM64 project and most likely this project used clean room coding.

Deleted member 568892

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So to my understanding Nintendo has no legal means of preventing this reconstructed source code from being published but they can and likely will target any group modifying the code in any meaningful way. Isn't this almost the same as not having the code available at all?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Waiting patiently for the goldeneye decomp to be finished
This, because I want N64 goldeneye with better control options, better frame rates during explosions, and hopefully it gets recompiled for the N64 with optimizations and fixes to run better emulated.

Reactions: EPgrouch

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Maybe make the Hylian Loach or whatever easier to catch, to earn both fishing rewards? Haven't played OoT3D in ages, so I've forgotten what child Link gets, but I do remember adult Link is given the Golden Scale.

Also, speed up Hyrule Field traversal, and make aiming the slingshot/bow easier to compensate for lack of 3DS's gyro controls. Maybe something to make getting all 100 Skulltula Tokens easier too? idk

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
all you need to do is be smart about releasing a port using a trusted vpn who won't stab you in the back and hand over your IP address same technique we use for rom dumps, as long as your not stupid posting pics on fb etc etc that person(s) will be fine

MadonnaProject

Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo fanboys: Graphics don't matter, gameplay does.
Also nintendo fanboys: reeee can't wait to play this in HD.

Also hasn't everyone played this loads already? Come on.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nice. Now give it a few months and amazing mods will spawn out of nowhere (like it happened for SM64) making this an epic journey so this will be the definite edition in the end.
Looking forward to play this on my Steam Deck. :D

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nintendo fanboys: Graphics don't matter, gameplay does.
Also nintendo fanboys: reeee can't wait to play this in HD.

Also hasn't everyone played this loads already? Come on.
i wouldnt necessarily call a higher resolution better "graphics".
i play through this game at least once a year :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended