Gaming The Most Under-rated NDS games

Luis Sera

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Harvest Moon. All of them are underrated because people mistake it for farmville when in fact, it has been around almost 20 years and has a lot more to it than just farming

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rune Factory 3 is by far the greatest Rune Factory game, and definitely one of the best NDS games I have ever played. They fix almost everything you could possibly dislike about the originals and improved on almost everything else. There are only two truly bad things about this game: it only allows for two save files (and it has more marriage candidates than most Harvest Moon games as well as the first two Rune Factory titles combined, so it can be a problem if you want to marry someone different, though with devices you can get around this) and the voice acting is terrible (just buy it then undub it).

Either way, Rune Factory 3 is definitely an underrated game and should be put on this list.

solidsnake13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I vote for:

N+
One of the best twitch plaformers in existance. The levels are so simple in design, but difficult in practice. The animation of the stick ninja is so slick and funny that some times you run into the traps just to see what will happen next. It is so addictive with the simple design that it can while away many hours with the "just one more" thought process. A definite must own.

Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled
One of the toughest and most brilliant original RPGs in years. It has a fantastic story that will keep you engrossed for the entire game. It does have it's faults though, it is brutally difficult with its bad encounter rate and there are some game breaking glitches, but over all it is a good game that RPG fans should at least check out.

Suikoden Tierkreis
One of the best RPGs on the system that gets a lot of unfair critisism because of it's name. If it was an original game, it would get called a copycat, but it would get more respect. As it stands, Suikoden is one of the best looking games on the system, even if it does have some problems with game play. The only drawback I can see is it's difficulty. Also a must play for RPG fans

Lunar Knights
I don't know if it is because I am a Kojima fan-boy or not, but this was my favorite DS game for quite a while. Like the Boktai series before it, LK is a beautiful amalgam of Castlevania and Metal Gear. The art is pleasing and the music is great. I think the only thing that really held this game back is the wonky shooter controls. Otherwise this is another master piece from Kojima.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tomb Raider: Underworld

For folks disappointed by the touch-screen controls of the two PoP DS games, or simply want more of that sort of gameplay, Underworld on DS was pretty fun. It's a bit rough around the edges, and the combat ain't great, but it's got that PoP thing going on that should satisfy. Definitely worth a look.

Zane

Ace Wizard
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
GeekyGuy said:
Tomb Raider: Underworld

For folks disappointed by the touch-screen controls of the two PoP DS games, or simply want more of that sort of gameplay, Underworld on DS was pretty fun. It's a bit rough around the edges, and the combat ain't great, but it's got that PoP thing going on that should satisfy. Definitely worth a look.

Yeah i have to say i actually enjoyed that one.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Blue Dragon: Awakened Shadow

I've heard virtually no media hype about this game, and 99% of people I talk to have never heard of the game before. However, anyone I introduce the game to immediately falls in love with it. The story may be kind of forgettable, but the character customization and gameplay work really well... if you can overlook its flaws. By flaws, I mean the sudden framerate drops and whatnot, but once you get into the game it's easy to overlook. Overall I would give the game a 8.5/10, and I nominate it for one of the most underrated DS games.

fiftyten

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Knights in the Nightmare is the single most underrated game on the DS. The average for it is under 80% but its one of the very best games on the system if you ask me. I guess the learning curve was too much for some to handle.

Big Bang Mini is another sub 80% game that should be more like a 9 imo. Unique, challenging, quirky, and just plain fun to play. Too many people let this gem slip by them.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should N+ even qualify? It's a decent game, yes, but it's SOOOO bad compared to the PC version that it should just be shot already. When I played it I don't recall any way to download or import custom levels like in the PC version or anything else like that. The game is very short if you're skilled (just like the original PC version) and the meat of it all is the community made content.

I think Henry Hatsworth should stay on there, even though it's popular, it's not popular enough at all considering how mind blowingly amazing it is. Close to #1 DS game if not #1 in my book.

Not sure how popular Ghost Trick is on GBATemp since I've been gone for a long time, but hot damn it's a 10/10.

Rokku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier.

Fun gameplay, an excellent soundtrack, a great script with lots of comedy, and it's a challenge! You can't go wrong!

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
danweb said:
Why is this not stickied any more?
Possibly because the OP hasn't been updated in 2 years?
unsure.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pyrofyr said:
Should N+ even qualify? It's a decent game, yes, but it's SOOOO bad compared to the PC version that it should just be shot already. When I played it I don't recall any way to download or import custom levels like in the PC version or anything else like that. The game is very short if you're skilled (just like the original PC version) and the meat of it all is the community made content.

I think Henry Hatsworth should stay on there, even though it's popular, it's not popular enough at all considering how mind blowingly amazing it is. Close to #1 DS game if not #1 in my book.

Not sure how popular Ghost Trick is on GBATemp since I've been gone for a long time, but hot damn it's a 10/10.

N+ still had like a bagillion levels, a level editor, and I did believe there was a way to get custom levels people made on the DS version. Plus it was a great portable experience (short, quick levels that are no biggy if you have to stop halfway through) and the D-Pad controls really do help.

Ghost Trick looks rather popular here. Wouldn't bother with it myself but that's me.

Not sure if I mentioned this a while ago but Sideswiped. Probably the best racing game on the DS, it's just great. For a game that is only available from buying it off online sites and was $20 on launch, it has some great quality and definitely the best "dark horse" game.

Zombie BBQ too, such a funny game.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes is an awesome title that I don't think get's enough credit. I haven't played the updated XBLA version, but the DS one is awesome.

I agree with Endless Frontier (and EXCEED), as well.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
danweb said:

This thread has been added to an "essentials" index, along with several other threads. That index is, in fact, stickied. The stickies were becoming a tad overgrown, and combining similar threads under one roof made sense.

QUOTE(Windaga @ Mar 9 2011, 07:05 PM) Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes is an awesome title that I don't think get's enough credit. I haven't played the updated XBLA version, but the DS one is awesome.

I agree with Endless Frontier (and EXCEED), as well.

Perhaps not under-rated, but definitely overlooked. I love that game so much! Played through it twice in row before taking a break.

danweb

Trophies
Website
www.syn.org.au
XP
Country
GeekyGuy said:
danweb said:

This thread has been added to an "essentials" index, along with several other threads. That index is, in fact, stickied. The stickies were becoming a tad overgrown, and combining similar threads under one roof made sense.

That is a shame, i will miss having them all up there for easy access.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://wccftech-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/wccftech.com/amd-800-series-am5-motherboards-launch-r...