TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The book was fine. But any suggestions whether i should see the movie or no?
I think it was a really nice adaptation... definitely among the better book-to-movie adaptations I saw. I personally recommend seeing it. It was pretty faithful to the book in all the ways that mattered

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i'm illiterate so i haven't read the book. i don't know what the premise is but judging by the title it sounds stupid.
Basically, the idea is that there was a revolution, and so as punishment, every year there is a competition called the hunger games. A boy and a girl from each of the 12 "districts" are put together and the 24 of them fight to the death until one remains, the victor. The whole thing is broadcast as a sort of reality tv show.

I saw the movie, haven't read the book. It was OK.

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sounds like a Westernised "Battle Royale" to me.
A lot of people have made that observation. The basic ideas are similar. The author claims she never heard of Battle Royale before writing the book, but who knows? lol
Its not impossible to have heard about the story, forget it but retain the idea. I know I have done that once or twice with story ideas only to scrap them when it becomes too similar.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: 2 people

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I take your Battle Royale and raise you The Running Man and The Most Dangerous Game.

To be fair, though, it's an old concept that countless writers have used, so there's nothing inherently wrong with these books doing it too. It all depends on what else it brings to the table.
Indeed. Harry Potter certainly wasnt the first book about a wizarding school. Heck, it wasnt even the first one about a young boy with a redheaded best friend and a smart girl that rhymed with "Arry Otter". I don't remember the book's name, but it was by Jennifer Yolen.

Gnargle

The day I set a profile picture is the day I die
Trophies
XP
Country
D

Deleted_171835

I've yet to see The Hunger Games. Read the first book and enjoyed it, though. Debating whether I should go to the theatres or just wait for a DVD rip.
Watching The Hunger Games killed quite a few of my brain cells.
>implying you had any to begin with.

oh snap.

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
I've yet to see The Hunger Games. Read the first book and enjoyed it, though. Debating whether I should go to the theatres or just wait for a DVD rip.
Watching The Hunger Games killed quite a few of my brain cells.
>implying you had any to begin with.

oh snap.

Well my lack of brain cells contributed to me making a poor decision in watching The Hunger Games movie. I should've stuck to reading the books. I stilll have to read the
Mockingjay.

@[member='Gnargle']: Learn what flamebait is. It's not someone having a different a opinion from you.

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
People will always be disappointed, pissed off, or hating. It's like a law of nature now. I wish I could watch the movie already.

PS
Everyone who says Hunger Games is just an 'Americanized' Battle Royale obviously don't know what they're talking about. They see 'teenagers killing each other' and they go rant. There all too many 'dystopian/futuristic game show/battle to the death stories'.

PPS
Maybe, just maybe, someone will do a faithful movie adaptation of 'The Long Walk' in the near future and it'll be good. I mean, 'Running Man' was godawful, imho.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: esp if there's no time limits, gosh! Cum on already! +1