raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I think we should front page more than just big publisher bundles and help the little guys out.
I've frontpaged this because I was the one making the article and I've followed the formatting guides. As long as the news is nicely formatted, I'll put 'em on the frontpage. Problem is, not a lot of people actually care about proper formatting in the USN :P

Reactions: KingAsix

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Seen as there is more to this model than humble bundles now (and even there as they do not always appeal we occasionally skip them) is it worth having a weekly roundup of all sorts of these bundles? Probably worth scheduling it to match with the humble stuff but include everything like it.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Paid $5 for all 6 games in the hopes that one day I will own a computer capable of running the Batman games...always wanted to play them, but never bought them as my laptop is not suitable for intensive gaming. Don't think I'll ever have the option of getting them both for $5, with 4 other games thrown in though, so bought them now. :)

zachtheninja

Honorary Ninja
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll probably get it for the first Arkham game (that I missed), but...
does anyone else have a problem with these publisher based "humble bundles"?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Several people have expressed such a sentiment at various points in time. Personally I find it similar to those that have issues with "big companies" using the crowdfunding/kickstarter model in that I really do not get it and when queried I all get back is some vaguely anti corporate drivel.

Also thanks for the link Depravo, I am not a great fan of their site design/navigation (or more accurately the need to use it) but at least the data is all there.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll probably get it for the first Arkham game (that I missed), but...

Yeah, I hate it when companies support charity and offer great discounts to their customers. It's fucking bullshit, they can't be doing that. :angry:

zachtheninja

Honorary Ninja
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if I make it sound as though i hate charity,
but I thought the original purpose of the humble bundle was to promote small devs who may not be able to afford a massive pr campaign.
If a company wants to have a sale, and give the profits to charity, good for them. But why do EA and WB feel an obligation to use the humble bundle brand? Surely they are capable of managing and promoting a charity campaign themselves?

MegaAce™

Steal back your future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
but I thought the original purpose of the humble bundle was to promote small devs who may not be able to afford a massive pr campaign.
If a company wants to have a sale, and give the profits to charity, good for them. But why does EA and WB have to use the humble bundle brand? Surly they are capable of managing and promoting a charity campaign themselves?

But aren't they also helping the Humble Bundle site by getting many people to buy these bundles and paying for the bandwidth? One hand washes the other?

zachtheninja

Honorary Ninja
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But aren't they also helping the Humble Bundle site by getting many people to buy these bundles and paying for the bandwidth? One hand washes the other?
But how many people are donating to charity vs. donating to humble bundle?
Wouldn't most people donate to charity, since that is the purpose of the bundle?
And if more people are donating to the humble bundle group than are donating to charity, doesn't that invalidate the whole purpose of the bundle being a charity bundle?

I agree that it does promote the humble bundle service, but it also creates an expectancy in the uninformed consumer that humble bundle is just a place to get AAA games for cheap.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Humble Bundle's a nice promotional tool, sure, but charity has always been the central purpose.

If a company wants to have a sale, and give the profits to charity, good for them. But why does EA and WB have to use the humble bundle brand? Surly they are capable of managing and promoting a charity campaign themselves?

Because...
A) Humble Bundle is a trusted, respected name.
B) Big publishers using Humble Bundle is as much promotion for Humble Bundle as it is for the publishers. Look at EA's Origin bundle; that got HB their biggest total yet. The more popular Humble Bundle is, the more developers will be happy to coordinate with them. Everyone wins.

It's not like Humble Bundle has abandoned the Indie scene; quite the opposite, actually. Hell, now they usually offer two different bundles at a time. Indies still get their promotional boost, big publishers get some goodwill, charities get some money, customers get ludicrously good deals, and Humble Bundle earns a little tip along the way. There are no losers here.

MegaAce™

Steal back your future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wouldn't most people donate to charity, since that is the purpose of the bundle?
And if more people are donating to the humble bundle group than are donating to charity, doesn't that invalidate the whole purpose of the bundle being a charity bundle?

I agree that it does promote the humble bundle service, but it also creates an expectancy in the uninformed consumer that humble bundle is just a place to get AAA games for cheap.

I always try to split the share equally for devs, charity and the HB service.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

A lot of people donate to charity through the bundle. But guess what, the Humble Bundle needs profits to keep getting bundles so they can keep getting games so people keep donating to charity.

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
Considering everyone thinks it's shame they didn't include first F.E.A.R. seems like it was intentional so everybody would go actually buy that one :P
Steam only? Guess I will be passing.

Would have liked the games though.
Usually I see people complaining other way around. "If it ain't on steam then it's same just to pirate it, right?" is usual pharse even if it's not true..
Money goes to charity and it's still AAA-titles we are talking so it would be highly unusual if there weren't any kind of DRM at all.
Paid $5 for all 6 games in the hopes that one day I will own a computer capable of running the Batman games...always wanted to play them, but never bought them as my laptop is not suitable for intensive gaming. Don't think I'll ever have the option of getting them both for $5, with 4 other games thrown in though, so bought them now. :)
Arkham Asylum requires what - Pentium 4, Windows XP, 1gb RAM, 256mb GPU and under 10gb of storage. I think years old laptops could handle it and now GFWL ain't there anymore to slow things down :D
http://www.geforce.com/games-applications/pc-games/batman-arkham-asylum/system-requirements

$5 sounds a bit cheap. C'mon people get that avarage price up!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Usually I see people complaining other way around. "If it ain't on steam then it's same just to pirate it, right?" is usual pharse even if it's not true..
Money goes to charity and it's still AAA-titles we are talking so it would be highly unusual if there weren't any kind of DRM at all.
I can well believe that but I can not say I have seen it, if I ever see a lack of steam complaint it is usually more that it will not count to steam game achievements (or some nonsense like it) or be available as easily in the steam frontend (my mouse clicks on the start bar just as easily).
I always thought the charity thing was optional too, I certainly always slung the slider fully towards the devs.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Arkham Asylum requires what - Pentium 4, Windows XP, 1gb RAM, 256mb GPU and under 10gb of storage. I think years old laptops could handle it and now GFWL ain't there anymore to slow things down :D
http://www.geforce.com/games-applications/pc-games/batman-arkham-asylum/system-requirements

$5 sounds a bit cheap. C'mon people get that avarage price up!
Hmm, well maybe it will run. It's downloading anyway, to see if it does or not. I saw "3GHz" and thought "no", but I guess that's single core. I can never figure out if my processor is good enough for games or not (stuff like the "megahertz myth" put me off comparisons of clock speeds, and I couldn't really be bothered checking bench marks of the listed processor for every game I want to play and trying to figure out if my processor is faster or not), and I generally assume that my graphics card (a crappy "mobile" graphics card) isn't good enough.

As for being cheap; I basically went for just above the average at the time I purchased, mainly because I didn't want to pay over the odds for games I assumed I couldn't even enjoy right now. Plus I am kinda a cheap individual.

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
Hmm, well maybe it will run. It's downloading anyway, to see if it does or not. I saw "3GHz" and thought "no", but I guess that's single core. I can never figure out if my processor is good enough for games or not (stuff like the "megahertz myth" put me off comparisons of clock speeds, and I couldn't really be bothered checking bench marks of the listed processor for every game I want to play and trying to figure out if my processor is faster or not), and I generally assume that my graphics card (a crappy "mobile" graphics card) isn't good enough.

As for being cheap; I basically went for just above the average at the time I purchased, mainly because I didn't want to pay over the odds for games I assumed I couldn't even enjoy right now. Plus I am kinda a cheap individual.
http://systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

Prosessors aren't even used in games that much and you can find tests that otherwise identical hardware with just differend prosessor usually varies 1-5fps for game. Of course older and mobile results vary. What matters the most is GPU so if your laptop has Intel Graphics then it may not work so great. But nothing should explode and if game's running slow just turn resolution and settings down and get console experience.

They seem to have removed benchmark when they converted those games to steamworks but my Asulym seems to run everything maxed out ~100fps. This includes PhysX to max which is insane resource hog and setting menu actually suggest getting second GPU just for it :D

Reactions: SifJar

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: