With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
9th_Sage said:
linkinworm said:
i think you need permition to distribute TT's code(which seems to be like 99% of it)
Yeah, he really should get permission. They really don't like when people do this (especially when distributing it as a WAD).

Dialexio said:
QUOTE(Gordinio @ Jul 7 2010, 11:43 PM)
We're allowed to pass homebrew channel wads. Just no Wiiware/VC/IOS wads.
Nope. Team Twiizers never gave permission to redistribute any part of the Homebrew Channel, including its banner.

What you're saying is true, but this is just a forwarder, not the entire HB channel, so no code (except maybe some graphics which got changed anyway) from TT is used.

If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
raulpica said:
9th_Sage said:
linkinworm said:
i think you need permition to distribute TT's code(which seems to be like 99% of it)
Yeah, he really should get permission. They really don't like when people do this (especially when distributing it as a WAD).

Dialexio said:
QUOTE(Gordinio @ Jul 7 2010, 11:43 PM)
We're allowed to pass homebrew channel wads. Just no Wiiware/VC/IOS wads.
Nope. Team Twiizers never gave permission to redistribute any part of the Homebrew Channel, including its banner.

What you're saying is true, but this is just a forwarder, not the entire HB channel, so no code (except maybe some graphics which got changed anyway) from TT is used.

If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.
The banner is used, only slightly edited. It is covered AFAIK by the HBC copyright, so is still illegal to redistribute a WAD containing the banner.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
SifJar said:
The banner is used, only slightly edited. It is covered AFAIK by the HBC copyright, so is still illegal to redistribute a WAD containing the banner.
I can't honestly think of TT going so far just for some graphics. As an example, Nintendo should just sue the ass of everyone who uses Mario sprites to do photoshops and the like, instead they don't do that. Just call it "fair use" or something, dunno
tongue.gif

I don't feel like removing it just because of some edited out graphics, nor I feel like disturbing them to ask of a such trivial matter. If TT complains, I'll gladly remove it
wink.gif

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
raulpica said:
SifJar said:
I can't honestly think of TT going so far just for some graphics. As an example, Nintendo should just sue the ass of everyone who uses Mario sprites to do photoshops and the like, instead they don't do that. Just call it "fair use" or something, dunno
tongue.gif

I don't feel like removing it just because of some edited out graphics, nor I feel like disturbing them to ask of a such trivial matter. If TT complains, I'll gladly remove it
wink.gif

Well, its much akin to illegal channels made with edited official banners. Of course, I can't force you to remove it, and am not even saying outright you should, but if GBATemp didn't allow those illegal channels (I don't know whether it did or not, didn't come on GBATemp much until more recently, when most channels became legal), it shouldn't allow this. If it did, meh, it would be hypocritical to remove this.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
SifJar said:
Well, its much akin to illegal channels made with edited official banners. Of course, I can't force you to remove it, and am not even saying outright you should, but if GBATemp didn't allow those illegal channels (I don't know whether it did or not, didn't come on GBATemp much until more recently, when most channels became legal), it shouldn't allow this. If it did, meh, it would be hypocritical to remove this.
Those used pieces of Nintendo code for the loader, and I guess that's a bit more different than some non-profit homebrew banners edited for something distributed for free (like this launcher).

Actually, I'm removing those old banners, whenever I'm seeing them. Well, I'll probably talk around a bit with the other mods and clarify our stance on these things
wink.gif

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
OK. Maybe a little different, but actually when it comes to the loader, most people used either comex's, waninkoko's or marcan's, which were all (i think marcan's was at one point) available in WADder at a time, and only copyrighted banners were used. But still, perhaps its not right to treat hobbyist made banners the same as professionally made ones...

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
SifJar said:
OK. Maybe a little different, but actually when it comes to the loader, most people used either comex's, waninkoko's or marcan's, which were all (i think marcan's was at one point) available in WADder at a time, and only copyrighted banners were used. But still, perhaps its not right to treat hobbyist made banners the same as professionally made ones...
Well, it's mainly a thing of copyright. If they used a copyrighted banner, like one from a game, they would actually being using copyrighted code.

Now, this one's an edited out banner of an homebrewn application. That's a lot less riskier legally than using a commercial banner from a big gaming firm
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr