Hacking The Definitive vWii Hacking Guide!

y1985

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
the guide is old, and has not been updated when 5.5.2 was released.
If you understand what the guide is doing, you'd understand that 5.5.2 is working.
This step is essentially "Launch the homebrew launcher" by visiting and URL to trigger the browser exploit. it's now possible to launch homebrew with 5.5.2, so just adapt the guide to launch the homebrew launcher based on your console's version.

Method1 works with 5.5.2, BUT not with the link provided in the guide.
you need to follow the actual "5.5.2 browser exploit" guide/website, instead of the "5.5.1 browser exploit" URL provided in this guide.

it's not hard to find the url for 5.5.2

all the other things are the same, you just need a different URL to visit to trigger the browser exploit to get into the Homebrew Launcher. Once into the Homebrew Launcher, every steps are identical.

And these steps are ONLY if you don't already have Haxchi, CBHC, or any other way to launch the Homebrew launcher.
if you already know how to access the homebrew launcher, just do it your way.

Ahh, OK. Now I'm understand it and successfully install HBL in vWii.
Is there any kind of homebrew app store like in WiiU app store?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
there is one, but it's old and not updated anymore. the wiki says you have to use the alternate server (edit the config)
unfortunately, the sources are not available, so we can't make our own host either.
(maybe edit the dol with hexeditor?)

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Browser

stay away from all system tools as they are designed for Wii, not vWii.

Last edited by Cyan,

y1985

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
there is one, but it's old and not updated anymore. the wiki says you have to use the alternate server (edit the config)
unfortunately, the sources are not available, so we can't make our own host either.
(maybe edit the dol with hexeditor?)

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Browser

stay away from all system tools as they are designed for Wii, not vWii.

Ahh, so Wii HB tools cannot be use with vWii. That was gonna be my next question, lol.
Thanks for info, Cyan :D

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It depends on the tools. it's just logical, if the tool is used to install IOS, and the homebrew was developped before vWii even exited, you have 100% chance it gonna install the Wii version and you'll mess your console.
if the tool is used to browse NAND content (ftpiiu, wiixplorer), it's safe, as it only read and don't write/edit its content.
if the tool is used to edit settings, it's semi dangerous (vWii uses a slightly different setting file format, has few settings not available to user, etc.) don't try!

in case of doubt, ask here first. There will (almost always) be a vWii version released more recently for what you want to do.
there's a pinned thread in hacking section with what you can do or don't. It should cover all possibilities.

Last edited by Cyan,

waldorf2007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all,

Didn't see this covered on the FAQ.

I've followed the guide up to the point of having a working, readable USB drive with USB loader GX. in accordance with the "easiest way," I put Super paper mario (small game .4 gigs) into the wiiu while USB loader GX was on, and it asked to install.

As soon as I started the install, I immediately got a 100% completion bar. THe progress was 0KB/s and 0.00KB/0.00KB. It froze my system to the point where holding down the Wiiu's power for 30 seconds did nothing. I had to manually disconnect power.

I tried 2 other games, DKCR and splatoon 1, and they all did the same thing.

my USB is configured with bootice and ustealth, fat32. hard drive settings list the drive open and FAT32 as well. Has anyone else run into this issue where games immediately show 100% install? Reminder, this is only for manually installing from the wiiu's disc drive. USB loader reads the disc's title but after that it's a complete freeze.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
100% is normal, as the function doesn't have any value initialized yet.
it needs to read the disc size, to know how big "100%" mark is.
so, at first, it's 0 out of 0, which is 100%
after the disc can be read, it will change the max size to (for example) 0 to 420MB (not all games are using a full 4GB disc) and the percentage will be correctly set at 0%
I guess it can be easily fixed by setting a wrong, default max value before calling the dump function.

But your problem is very easy to fix :
DO NOT USE FLASH DRIVE.

I start thinking this should be written in BIG letters on this guide, and on each Wii hacking and USBLoader's forum section. And BEFORE posting a new thread, something like "WAIT, if you are using a flash drive, do not even ask for help ! the problem is your flash device!"

Last edited by Cyan,

waldorf2007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the quick reply. Despite my incorrect use of USB, it wasn't a flash drive. It was a 125gig hard drive that is extremely old, and just behaving very badly. I did later try with a 16 gig flash drive and got the same problem, so I see where you're coming from.

I am a bit confused why flash drive is an issue now on vWii. my hacked wii was running off of a 64 gig flash drive for many years. A lot has changed though so if you need an HDD now, I guess that's where we're at.

I have a 1tb HDD arriving today with a y-cable so we'll see how that goes.

y1985

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Thanks for the quick reply. Despite my incorrect use of USB, it wasn't a flash drive. It was a 125gig hard drive that is extremely old, and just behaving very badly. I did later try with a 16 gig flash drive and got the same problem, so I see where you're coming from.

I am a bit confused why flash drive is an issue now on vWii. my hacked wii was running off of a 64 gig flash drive for many years. A lot has changed though so if you need an HDD now, I guess that's where we're at.

Yes, please use the Y-cable. This will fixed your issue.

Wii U consumed a lot of power so, it will saves power for the system and might not enough to supply the usb or hdd without any direct power source.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sorry, the freeze is usually related to flashdrive.
But, did you use a Y-cable on your current HDD?

I always assume people have proper hardware setup (y-cable is mandatory on vWii !!), so I often forgot about this element when replying.

NeoCortexUK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am having trouble. I am using the UGI OH 5d method to hack my vwii.

I have copied the data to the SD card. It saw the file OK and copied OK.

I start the game the press A at the title screen and A to start. It then starts loading, I get the spinning icon in the bottom right then it stops and the wii crashes. I have to unplug it and plug it in again to get it going again. Tried twice same thing. Any ideas? Added some pictures so you can see.

20180602_195123350_iOS.jpg 20180602_195153459_iOS.jpg 20180602_195304512_iOS.jpg Pic1.PNG

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,

@NeoCortexUK :

Did you do this ==>
  1. Go to the Wii Menu, and after it loads, put in your SD Card.
  2. Go into Wii Options → Data Management → Save Data → Wii.
  3. Go to SD card and select the "Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's Wheelie Breakers" savegame.
    NOTE: Some people are having problems with the Wii not "seeing" the savegame on the SD card. If you are experiencing this, try setting the archive bit for the data.bin file. In Windows this can be either be done from the file's properties dialog (right click on it in Windows Explorer and check the box) or from the command line using "attrib +a <path to data.bin>".
  4. Copy the savegame to the Wii.
  5. Insert Yu-Gi-OH 5D's Wheelie Breakers (PAL), go to Disc Channel, and start it.
  6. Press "A" and wait until the title menu shows up.
  7. Press "A" and you will see a loading screen. Wait a couple of seconds.

Go to this guide, everything is detailed ==> https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-definitive-vwii-hacking-guide.425852/

Last edited by jeannotte,

infiniter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm not sure if this has been addressed, but I think there may be some corrections necessary.
Part "Dumping vWii NAND with Dump Mii NAND":
a) my dump took about 3 seconds per block, so the total time was more than 3 hours. Is 20-60 minutes correct?
b) The nand.bin and the keys.bin were dumped to the root of the SD card, not to the app folder.

EuroMIX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Could an SD card being old be a reason why a forwarder won't work? I have one where literally everything (VC, WiiWare, Rock Band DLC and customs, emulators, emulator forwarders) works, except forwarders for Genesis Plus GX, and only that emulator's forwarders specifically.

Is there a possible reason why this is the case? It just sucks having everything set up and this one thing not working. To add salt to the wound, it works fine on a 4GB and 32GB (that I use in my 3DS). Can anyone recommend a good 32GB card that's confirmed to work with Genesis Plus GX forwarders?

TussalDragon344

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
What's funny is every single time I see: "This doesn't work with SDHC or SDXC", I simply cringe and laugh simultaneously; I have a microSDXC and it works with no problems what so ever, thanks to (of course) EaseUs Partition Master... lel...

LuigiXL

Trophies
XP
Country
I've a random one. My Wii U currently has a huge 2TB drive on it i'd now like to use for other purposes as I dont play the Wii U much anymore.. Is there a way to either backup my saves or copy the lot to a smaller drive? (I am not interested in making a clone 1:1, I know that cant be done and would not suit my purpose ie free up the huge 2TB drive for a better purpose)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: i don't wanna even know