The Definitive vWii Hacking Guide!

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by CJB100, May 9, 2016.

1. 7Robins

7Robins Bob is watching you.

Jun 20, 2016
    United States
    Tennessee
    Excellent, thanks for the details. Anything else I should be aware of prior?

As for the flash drive issue, couldn't I theoretically buy a second flash drive and use that drive only for USB Loader GX? By connecting it only after launching Wii Mode?

2. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    It's recommended to buy an external HDD, instead of flash drive, for USBLoaderGX.
    USBLoaders have issues with flash drives.
    USB 2.0 HDD are fine, USB3.0 can have detection issues.

You can connect both drives at the same time, WiiU flash drive and vWii HDD. The WiiU will ask you to format the HDD, but there's a program (homebrew and computer) to hide the partition table of the drive and the WiiU will not ask to format it anymore.
    That hidden drive works fine with a lot of homebrew (not all, but it can be updated). The USB port you connect them is important to prevent crashes and issue.

You can also just unplug/replug the correct drive when needed.
    edit : Or just do like CJB said below.

CJB100 likes this.
  3. CJB100
    OP

CJB100 Programmer, Media Producer, Hardware Repair

May 8, 2016
    United States
    USA
    Iirc, best to leave your USB drive you use for vWii connected always and hidden by UStealth from the Wii U side. And then only connect your Wii U USB drive when you use your Wii U. It's the simplest way to do it atm and should keep everything working correctly. I say this because some homebrew will flip out if you leave a Wii U USB drive connected while also having your vWii USB drive connected. Loading a GameCube game will cause Nintendont to hang on startup if you have them both plugged in. But it won't cause any permanent issues.

Last edited by CJB100, Jun 22, 2016
  4. MyLegGuy

MyLegGuy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 26, 2014
    United States
    Okay.
    Are there any externally powered ones on Amazon you would recommend? I don't want to mess up and get one that doesn't work for this. I've never used a USB HDD before.

5. CJB100
    OP

May 8, 2016
    United States
    USA
    Can't say I have one on Amazon I'd recommend, as all the good externally powered drives are more or less gone.

I would recommend the following hard drive: https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Canv...165&sr=8-8&keywords=500GB+portable+hard+drive

And a Y-Cable: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...i:aps,k:Dual+A+to+USB+3.0+Micro-B+USB+Y+Cable

This is what I use and it works fine. Although, you can go for a cheaper or smaller HDD. USB Hard Drives are usually pretty stable with the Wii U. You might also check the FAQ section, as there is a link to Nintendo's HDD compatibility chart in the third or fourth Question down about hard drives.

MyLegGuy likes this.
  6. 7Robins

Jun 20, 2016
    United States
    Tennessee
    I'd like to use a hard drive, my only problem is that it would take up both USB ports, and frankly look less attractive just sitting on my system. Also the fact that I wouldn't be able to use it to store my digitally downloaded retail WiiU games makes it feel kinda like a waste.

7. CJB100
    OP

May 8, 2016
    United States
    USA
    There are two solutions to this dilemma:

First, get a Y-cable mentioned above, AND a USB hub. Put the hub out the bottom port, and connect the hard drive as instructed in the guide. This will allow you those ports and it does usually properly power the hard drive.

Otherwise, just hook up the hard drive, and use the ports on the front.

You can't store Wii U games on anything you use for vWii, anyways, so I'd take your existing thumb drive and use it for Wii U stuff, and buy a hard drive or second thumb drive for vWii. I just recommend a hard drive because it seems to be a lot less prone to issues.

8. 7Robins

Jun 20, 2016
    United States
    Tennessee
    Interesting, thanks for the help. I'll wait to get the HDD sometime. Right now I just plan to follow your guide up until you get to the USB Loader GX part, and then skip that up to the VBA GX part, since that's the other thing I'm interested in, GBA emulation.

Does the HDD for vWii have to be connected while I'm just using the console in Wii U mode? Because if its not required, couldn't I just switch out the flash drive and the HDD depending on whatever I plan on using?

Last edited by 7Robins, Jun 23, 2016
  9. CJB100
    OP

May 8, 2016
    United States
    USA
    No, it does not have to be connected. I'm just lazy. Why move it if you can leave it plugged in forever? :D

10. 7Robins

Jun 20, 2016
    United States
    Tennessee
    Mostly because I'm constantly having to move my console, which is why I'm reluctant to get a HDD. :D
    I also plan to put my console in a final place on my desk once I build my own custom gaming rig in a year or so, so it would be easy to remove and change stuff.

11. thaikhoa
    This message by thaikhoa has been removed from public view by Cyan, Jun 23, 2016, Reason: Requested.
    Jun 23, 2016
  12. CJB100
    This message by CJB100 has been removed from public view by Cyan, Jun 23, 2016, Reason: reply to deleted posts.
    Jun 23, 2016
  13. HAFEDHBY

HAFEDHBY Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 28, 2014
    Tunis, Tunisia
    Hello
    To hack wii U I need to have the super smash bross game or no ?

14. misterdarvus

misterdarvus GBAtemp Regular

May 13, 2014
    Indonesia
    read the first page, to hack you need one of those games, Smash Brawl, Lego Batman, etc. Other than that, you can't

CJB100 likes this.
  15. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Attention, this thread is not used to "hack the WiiU" but to hack the "Wii part of the WiiU".
    This is for the "virtual Wii" mode (vWii) and not the WiiU mode. there are other threads for WiiU mode and you don't need Smash bros U.
    for vWii mode, you need one of the games listed on the first post.

16. 7Robins

Jun 20, 2016
    United States
    Tennessee
    SSBB is probably the easiest to use, not to mention the fact that most people will have that game considering its popularity.

I plan on using my friends copy of LEGO Star Wars.

Which I was going to ask, we can share game copies and the same SD card to install HBC without issue, right?

17. CJB100
    OP

May 8, 2016
    United States
    USA
    Should be able to install HBC, no problem. But obviously other homebrews will probably need to be stored on the SD. So whoever winds up with the SD is going o be the one with easier access to their homebrew apps.

18. 7Robins

Jun 20, 2016
    United States
    Tennessee
    Well, I actually just created that SD specifically for installing HBC, I plan on getting a higher capacity for actually storing the homebrew.

Also, a 2GB non-HC microSD in an SD adapter should work no problem right?

19. CJB100
    OP

May 8, 2016
    United States
    USA
    Should.

20. HAFEDHBY

HAFEDHBY Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 28, 2014
    Tunis, Tunisia
    OK, thanks

21. ZoNtendo

ZoNtendo GBAtemp Fan

May 25, 2015
    so I can't hack my vWii if I don't have the game to install the homebrew launcher ?
    :/

22. 7Robins

Jun 20, 2016
    United States
    Tennessee
    Yeah, one of the games are required. They're really cheap online, Brawl is going for well under $20, and LEGO Star Wars, the game I'm using, is going for $6. If you only care about installing HBC, get LEGO Star Wars, or look around for an even cheaper price for one of the games.

CJB100 likes this.