THE best flashcard?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by kingkevin, Oct 8, 2008.

Oct 8, 2008

THE best flashcard? by kingkevin at 10:47 AM (3,607 Views / 0 Likes) 42 replies

1. kingkevin
    OP

Newcomer kingkevin Member

United States
    I just ordered a AceKard 2 tonight and after reading about how prone they are to breaking after a few days or weeks, I canceled my order. I see their are many to choose from but R4 seems to be the most popular. Why is R4 so popular? What is the best flashcard to get? Im super new at this. Thank!

2. Wabsta

Member Wabsta you fight like a dairy farmer

Netherlands
    Costello, or Shaunj66.
    Maybe you should make a rule, not to ask for "The best flashcards".

I mean, there is a review section...
    And there are millions of topics about this...

On-Topic: R4 probably WAS the mainstream flashcard.
    Now, they don't have support anymore, also, most R4's are clones.

AK2 is a pretty good card, and it's cheap, go for it [​IMG]

3. spectral

spectral Newbie

Pretty much anything is better than the R4. It was a great flashcart and at one time the best available, this is when it became so well known. However since then with better carts being released and support from the R4 team dieing off it's no longer worth buying. I'm not aware of an overly large failure rate on acekard 2's they're generally regarded as a decent card. If you want something cheap and cheerful there is the DSTT,EDGE and Acekard 2. If you want something with more features but more pricey the best 2 carts are the Cyclo DS Evolution and the Supercard DSone v3.

4. Sir-Fritz

Member Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Dont get an r4, you'll thank me later.0

5. kingkevin
    OP

United States
    The forums here and the forums over at dealextreme all say the acekard 2 breaks after a week or 2. I dont want something that I have to replace every other month. Im aware these questions get asked all the time, but I have been reading the reviews for all of them, and they all say get this or dont get this or get soemthing else. Most are biased and very contradicting. I just want something reliable to play games on and Im so confused with everything! [​IMG]

6. kingkevin
    OP

United States
    Why not? What do you suggest?

7. spectral

spectral Newbie

Regardless of what anyone says about the newer carts they are still better than the R4. It is a really really bad idea to buy one now. Most R4's currently stocked are cheap knock offs and even if you do get a genuine one the team no longer update the firmware which means more and more games are not working without some significant hacking of another cards firmware. If you really are so paranoid go for the Supercard DSone v3 or Cyclo DS Evo, you can't go wrong with either. My card of choice is the Cyclo DS Evo.

8. Smuff

Member Smuff Fossilized Gamer

United Kingdom
    Love my R4 but then I was an early adopter, before all the clones and hassle started.

If I were to choose now (and all I want from a card is games..... no fancy interfaces; no moonshell cobblers (thats why God invented iPods [​IMG]) - just games games games) I would go for the Edge. Cheap as chips, and cheerful to boot.

This post is 100% fanboy-free...... I'm too old to bother about such trivialities.

9. kingkevin
    OP

United States
    Is the Cyclo DS Evo easy to use? Im really dumb with computers. Im giving myself a tumor just typing right now. Ive been reading for hours. I still dont't know what to get.

10. kingkevin
    OP

United States

Thanks! Im looking to just play games. Ill look into EDGE. :-)

11. spectral

spectral Newbie

They all work pretty much the same way, none are any easier than another.

12. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    why in the r4 thread

13. spectral

spectral Newbie

Because the card he was considering was the R4

14. kingkevin
    OP

United States
    How long as EDGE been out? Is it going to die on me after a month or two?

15. psycoblaster

Korea, South
    I think we've said to stop asking.

There are over a hundred threads in gbatemp that tells you which cards are the best. Repeating an answered question is a no no.

and btw, there is a stickied post in THIS section that says to read before you post.
    and look at the last rule.
    I only hope many people will actually read rules before actually doing something.

16. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    theres no such thing as a 'best flashcart' cos people will have different opinions on different cards

17. spectral

spectral Newbie

I'm fully aware of other areas of the forum I'm just sick of people nitpicking over every single topic. He was asking about the R4 in particular which is enough to make the R4 category a suitable one. If you can't stop being an arrogant prick, you can STFU.

18. psycoblaster

Korea, South
    but a "best flashcart" can also be a flashcart with the fastest updating team with exclusive functions. Not only it is based on opinions, but also on facts.

19. psycoblaster

Korea, South
    but that's unfair for the other users that have been flamed at for asking the same question.
    If they were flamed, then it's not right for this user to be defended.
    and once again, there is a stickied post that's also in ALL CAPS, stating that you should actually READ IT FIRST. AND IT SAYS IT IS IMPORTANT.
    and read the last rule.

If you are a person that will answer EVERY SINGLE QUESTION that others ask you, including questions that you have already answered a hundred times before, then I apologize for arguing with you.
    but I can tell you are not one of those people.
    If you have actually showed interest in the R4 thread and read many topics, you will know what this kind of thread leads to, and why this question about the "best flashcart" and "I will be getting an R4, whats better" is considered fail.

20. kingkevin
    OP

United States
    Soooo (please dont argue you two and please be nicer psychblaster)
    I think I might get an EDGE. It seems failry reliable and easy to use. I JUST want to play games for now (and maybe use colors, that program thats kinda like photoshop, right?)

really, I JUST Want to play contra 4 and Londonian gothics. I assume I can play japanese games, right? I still plan on buying most american games (already preordered castlevania!)