Gaming The 3DS Operating System

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for clearing that up. I guess its like the old iPhone's OS where you could only multitask web browsing and talking on the phone instead of individual apps. It didn't let you multitask all apps, just the important ones like web browsing. Same goes for the 3DS I suppose. I believe multitasking internet browsing will be incredibly helpful for walkthroughs and such.

Its less like the real multitasking that we're used to on iOS 4 or an Android phone.

Traversal

Soooo cool!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like it. The menu works like the DSi's on the bottom, but the top screen works like the Wii in that it's like entering a channel on the Wii, a little animation is played and a little tune that goes along with the application.

All in all, It's obviously no great evolution in system menus, but it really doesn't need to be, as long as it works, and it looks like it does, it should be fine.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Also, I don't know if it's shown in this video or in another one but the display mode of the menu can be changed to be like the one shown in a commercial (I think, it could be just an image) by tapping an icon on the touch screen for those who were complaining about the DSi-ish interface

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FireGrey said:
GBA: Only games played.
DS: Tiny OS
DSi: A descent OS
3DS: WOW THIS IS AMAZING!
what are you talking about? the gba had an os on par with windows 7
laugh.gif

AndreasSE

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
AndreasSE93.webs.com
XP
Country
Slyakin said:
Ramonra said:
You CAN multitask. Apparently, it doesn't apply to every software. Game notepad, web browser and some other applications will definetly be allowed while playing.

On the other hand, games themselves (meaning not only (3)DS(i)Ware but AR games and probably Mii Plaza too) are not allowed.
Thank you.

I'm sure that some really powerful things like the cameras and games can't be run simultaneously. It only makes sense.

Correct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrI7uTMjGic

Quite interesting video. It shows the main menu, the camera app, the Mii maker, note making and AR games

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That's sexy, I really don't find the pause feature useful, I've got my phone to surf the web if I'm stuck in-game =/ However I'm looking forward to adding tempers on my friends list and spying on what games they are playing
rolleyes.gif

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Ramonra said:
You CAN multitask. Apparently, it doesn't apply to every software. Game notepad, web browser and some other applications will definetly be allowed while playing.

On the other hand, games themselves (meaning not only (3)DS(i)Ware but AR games and probably Mii Plaza too) are not allowed.
The stuff on the top, notifications, friends list, browser, messages.
Everything else will prompt you to close your game or whatever's in memory.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Looks pretty nice.
smile.gif
I like what they've done with the channel previews as well as the ident when loading a game.

I wonder if with the H&S channel there they won't insist on the warning every time you boot the console.
unsure.gif
I hope that they won't interrupt the game with "take a break" warnings the way they have done with the Wii on occasions.

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Fear Zoa said:
I wonder if we can get rid of the health and safety channel or at least move it to some place less obstructive?

same, and also I'm getting tired of the whole "wii" aesthetic.

In retrospect I think sony has a better gui compared to wii, its sleeker looking but oh well, its a minor gripe.

D

Deleted_171835

I'm loving the new UI.
I'm glad that the 3DS can multitask, now! I can access the web browser to check a walkthrough, quickly, Plus, I can jot down notes. That's quite helpful for Zelda games.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DigitalDeviant said:
Fear Zoa said:
I wonder if we can get rid of the health and safety channel or at least move it to some place less obstructive?

same, and also I'm getting tired of the whole "wii" aesthetic.

In retrospect I think sony has a better gui compared to wii, its sleeker looking but oh well, its a minor gripe.

Ever have more than 10 games installed on the PS3 or PSP at a time? It's a pain in the ass trying to navigate a single line menu that isn't even organized... Just in a "last installed, first on list" approach. Get 20+ games installed and suddenly it's a real big hassle. Sony's XBM was poorly designed... Not that the original DSi's was much better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Street dealer - "Damn gurl, you are thick! Put down that Twinkie and let me holla at you for a...