thaddius' Console Classic 2012 Edition: Round 3

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by thaddius, Feb 7, 2012.

1. thaddius
    OP

Member thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

Canada
    Well folks, as you may or may not know, the Nintendo Entertainment System ruled the school last round with a whopping 26 votes! The lowly SMS garnered itself 4 votes, while nothing else got a vote. Too bad, so sad. For more details you can visit the thread for Round 3.

First, a quick recap of the rules:

Warning: Spoilers inside!

So what's next? Well... as you may have discerned from the sub-title, we're not doing the Fourth Generation of Consoles yet. We interrupt your regularly scheduled Console Classic to bring you a Handheld Classic!

Handheld gaming needs no introduction; it’s gaming on the go! But where did it all begin?

Some of you might remember that in the 80s and early 90s, LCD games were all the rage. Companies like Tiger Electronics and Nintendo were making money hand over fist with one shot titles like Donkey Kong, Batman, The Legend of Zelda and MC Hammer!

There were tons of these things! But they had to evolve into cartridge based systems eventually. While there were some earlier cartridge based handhelds, it wasn’t until the release of this week’s contenders that things really started to happen.

So, now we enter what I like to call the First Generation of Handhelds! Which is where we first see region-free gaming and we discover what really matters to the public: graphics or games!

This week's challengers are:

The Atari Lynx
    [​IMG]
    This this is a powerhouse. Not exactly a portable system (it was huge) the system was heralded as a 16-bit console, and was allegedly only recently ‘outmuscled’ in terms of power by the Gameboy Advance in 2001 (I can't verify that).

Released in 1989, the Atari Lynx had some really unique features. Not only was it the first colour LCD portable gaming system, but it also had reversible controls. With a couple of button presses the screen image would flip, allowing you to turn the console over and use a second set of A and B buttons on the left and a d-pad on the right. It also supported multiplayer capabilities, but rarely used them as no one owned the system. It could be ‘linked’ with up to 17 (!!!) consoles, although most games would allow for 8 or less.

Despite it being a stellar piece of hardware it had two huge downsides: 1) it launched for a whopping $189.95, and 2) it took 6 AA batteries and had a really poor battery life.

The Lynx sold an estimated 3 million units, and its best-selling game was most likely the pack-in game, Blue Lightening.

The Sega Game Gear
    [​IMG]
    Based off of the Sega Master System hardware (most of you will note that SMS emulators will also run GG ROMs), the Sega Game Gear was released in Japan in 1990, and in North America, Argentina, and Europe in 1991.

Much like the Atari Lynx, this little beast was supposedly ahead of its time, and was definitely more powerful than a certain Nitnendo handheld. With a backlit, colour screen and a myriad of attachments, this thing seemed built to last.

The Sega Game Gear was relatively successful for a non-Nintendo handheld. It sold an estimated 11 million units and in the end had almost 400 games released for it. Sega discontinued it in 1997.

Ultimately, the Game Gear could only take a small chunk of the Game Boy’s market. It shared more than just advanced hardware with the Lynx; it also suffered from a terrible battery life. Not a bad little (actually, big) system though! Tons of great games too.

The NEC TurboExpress
    [​IMG]
    What the hell is this thing? Well, as we’ll see in the Fourth Generation of Consoles, the PC-Engine (known as the Turbo GraFX-16 in NA) was released and was doing alright in Japan. Not great, but alright. And the makers of the system saw Sega and Nintendo duking it out with their respective handhelds and saw what they thought was a gap in the market. “What if we made a system that could play PC-Engine games on the go?” And so it was done!

The PC-Engine GT (Game Tank) was released in 1990 for a jaw-dropping $249.99!!! And guess what? No one bought it! It suffered the same problems as other beefy handhelds of the era: poor battery life (three hours for 6AA batteries).

Other problems included: faulty parts (dead capacitors, LCDs with high rate of pixel failure), lack of onboard memory for game saves, and the small screen size made reading text in some games (which were designed to be read on a normal television) impossible!

The TurboExpress shared a problem with its parent console in that it was way too damn expensive. I’m not sure how true this is, but there are indications that the price even went up to $300 for a little while soon after launch.

Despite all the shortcomings, it managed to sell 1.5 million units and was featured in the movie 3 Ninjas!

The Gameate/Super boy/Super Child Prodigy
    [​IMG]
    What can I say? This is one obscure handheld. It had a very limited release in 1990 around the world. It had cartridges that looked a lot like PC-Engine HuCards and reportedly had over 70 games released!

Not much is known about this puppy as it’s kind of rare. There aren’t even any ROM dumps for it. It seemed to have had a larger impact in GB, so hopefully someone will remember it!

The Nintendo Game Boy
    [​IMG]
    1989. The FAMICOM and NES are doing quite well in their respective territories. Nintendo puts their old toy maker, Gunpey Yokoi, to the task of designing a handheld with cartridges. The result: The Game Boy.

Some people credit the Game Boy’s success to the inclusion of Tetris as a pack in. Some credit the array of games for the system; others, the battery life (8 hours!!!). I believe it’s all of these factors plus the backbone of the NES’s success.

Chances are if you grew up in the 90s, you had one of these. Or you had a Game Gear/Atari Lynx and you envied your friends with their Game Boy. :P
    Some might remember the slight joke Nintendo played on people in 1995 when they announced that the Game Boy would soon have colour. Soon after, they released the Game Boy DMG unit with different coloured cases as part of their ‘Play it Loud’ campaign. Much to the shagrin of others, it boosted sales like CRAZY.

The Game Boy has sold an impressive 64.5 million units (This figure might include the Game Boy Pocket) and its best-selling game was Tetris (which we must remember, was released as a separate title as well as being a pack-in) with 30.26 million units. If you exclude the pack-ins as sales, Pokemon Red and Blue (I don’t understand why they didn’t just report the games individually) sold 23.64 million units, although, this figure is undoubtedly shared over the GBC lifespan.

The Watara Supervision
    [​IMG]
    This crazy little handheld was initially released in 1992 for $50US! It was an effort to undercut the Game Boy. It was an interesting idea, because Nintendo was making a lot of money selling 5 year old tech for $100. Why not make a system that is on par with it and sell it for half the price?

Again we return to why the Game boy was so successful. The Supervision had an impressive battery life, and even had a TV-out feature. But what it ultimately lacked was games, and those that were released were considered poor.

The Mega Duck/Cougar Boy
    [​IMG]
    This console, which seeming was only released in parts of Europe and South America, obviously didn’t make as much of an impact as Atari, Sega and Nintendo’s outings.

It was released in 1992 and sold initially for about 60. This thing had the strange option of attaching a second joystick so that you could play two player games on the same, tiny (48 (h) x 51 (w) mm) screen. There were around 40 games released for the system, again nowhere near the quality of the Game Boy's, and most were eventually sold together in #-in-1 carts.

Because it saw a limited European/elsewhere release, not a lot of people have played or even heard of this thing, and it was easily eclipsed by the other major handhelds.

Housekeeping!!

And there you have it, folks! We're probably going to see another runaway lead this time, but who knows? The Supervision fans could come out of the woodwork. And remember folks, whoever wins this round will compete against the other winning handhelds of their generation, so vote now, vote often!

Here's the brackets as they currently stand:
    http://i752.photobuc...lassic-gen3.jpg
    Who will win? It could be you!*

*note: It can't be you.

Don't forget to join us next week as we delve into the Fourth Generation of Consoles! Yay!

1 person likes this.
  2. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    I think the Gameboy wins this round.

3. Paarish

Member Paarish Connor's Nublet

United Kingdom
    I've only played the Game Gear and the Gameboy.
    As fun as the Game Gear was, it was the size of a brick (thankfully not the weight as one) and needed 6 AA batteries. Compare that to the original Gameboy which was a bit smaller and needed 4 AA batteries. The library of games for the GB was also significantly larger so obviously thats going to get my vote.

4. thaddius
    OP

Canada
    I grew up with the Game Boy, and looking back I have no idea how I played on that shitty screen. I know for a fact that the reason we got that thing was because it was a) cheaper than most other options at the time, and b) had an established record with the NES by that time anyway in our household.

When we would go on roadtrips (every summer) my parents would buy use three kids 1 new game to share for the trip. Somehow we never ended up fighting that much about it (or at least I don't remember that we did).

While I do now own a Game Gear and a Lynx, I must say that the games are on a similar par to the Game Boy's, but I can't see myself getting into them as much.

Ah well. Were I to vote, it'd be for that thar Game Boy.

5. Nah3DS

Member Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Argentina
    Countless hours wasted on Tetris! My vote goes to Game Boy! :)

6. rook2King

Newcomer rook2King Advanced Member

United States
    Hmmm i've never had any of those systems... :sad: Though i was a little kid when gameboy was around... :glare: My vote goes to the Gameboy though for all the time i spent on emulators playing its games. :mthr:

7. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Toooo many hours lost to Lemmings on the Game Gear :D You'd have to be mad to attempt to run the thing off batteries though; sitting near a wall outlet was worth it to get that screen.

8. thaddius
    OP

Canada
    I'm sure Valwin will disagree with this, but I have a suspicion that the Game Gear was a little more popular in GB due to the SMS' success.

9. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    Game Boyliness is next to Godliness.

1 person likes this.
  10. DinohScene

Member DinohScene The Gift of Dino

Antarctica
    Gameboy because It survived the Gulfwar and as a design like a brick.

1 person likes this.
  11. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Again, Nintendo really knocked it out of the park. Though only had a Gameboy Color, I still got a lot of playtime from some of the games of its predecessor (especially Super Mario Land).

The competition put in a good effort, but there's really no doubting which handheld reigned supreme.

12. thaddius
    OP

Canada
    Mwa ha ha! 3 days to vote!

13. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    ...I missed Round 3? Damn. I adored the SMS, grew up with it. Sucks how I never got to vote for it.

I'll just vote for the Game Boy for the sake of Tetris and Pokémon (and the battery life).

Also, I'm not sure if people know this, but the PS Vita has the same battery life as the Game Gear.

14. thaddius
    OP

Canada
    [​IMG]
    There you have it folks, no surprises here. The winner is the Nintendo Game Boy! Sorry Atari and Sega. You didn't have what it takes. Sorry everyone else, why did you even show up?

Join me soon in another topic as we explore the Console Wars of the early 90s.