thaddius' Console Classic 2012 Edition: Round 12

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
i dont remember when it started but i could say it was around 2000 i seem tv show call it that people i know call it that i remember a magazine did that ect

xist how old are you could be you were not around ?
So it was the best game of all time 12 years ago? Sounds legit by today's standards.

Reactions: 1 person

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dont remember when it started but i could say it was around 2000 i seem tv show call it that people i know call it that i remember a magazine did that ect

So it was deemed good in the year 2000?

Do you remember what other shit was deemed good in the year 2000? A lot of stuff was considered good in the year 2000 but really wasn't.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country

Awesome. Good to know your criteria for gaming excellence is a random TV show 12 years old and an old magazine. So no sources more recent than that? 12 years of releases completely ignored in your rating system there...

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So it was the best game of all time 12 years ago? Sounds legit by today's standards.

well i havent seem anyone refer to a game like that in tv or magazines so you tell me

D

Deleted_171835

It's cute that you think Snake Eater 3D is a good example of how good the 3DS is.

If you excuse me I'll play a good version of the game on my Xbox 360.
I tried the demo (not the full game but you haven't either) and the 3D is great. Adds a lot of immersion to the game. And it did get relatively good reviews despite a couple framerate issues. Even so, it's still a worthy addition to the 3DS's library.

Awesome. Good to know your criteria for gaming excellence is a random TV show 12 years old and an old magazine. So no sources more recent than that? 12 years of releases completely ignored in your rating system there...
http://www.filibuste...s.com/games.htm

Now why don't you scroll down and see what game is typically on first? Oh, is that OOT I spy?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought I'd list all the games that have come out in the top 20 highest rated games since OoT was made:
  • Super Mario Galaxy
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • GTA IV
  • Soul Calibur
  • Uncharted 2
  • Metroid Prime
  • The Orange Box
  • Batman: Arkham City
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Mass Effect 2
  • Halo: Combat Evolved
  • Half Life 2
  • GTA III
  • Skyrim
  • MGS2
  • GTA: San Andreas
  • Portal 2
  • Bioshock
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
  • Ninja Gaiden Black
  • LittleBigPlanet
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Halo 2
  • Twilight Princess
  • NFL 2K1
  • Wind Waker
  • Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec
  • GTA: Vice City
  • Star Wars: KOTOR
  • Perfect Dark
  • CoD4
  • World of Goo
  • Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
  • Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
  • Gears of War
I cut out anything that was a remake, port, or made during the same year or before as Ocarina of TIme.

I tried the demo (not the full game but you haven't either) and the 3D is great. Adds a lot of immersion to the game. And it did get relatively good reviews despite a couple framerate issues. Even so, it's still a worthy addition to the 3DS's library.

A) I beat Metal Gear Solid 3.
B) Saying "3D is great/adds a lot of immersion" is the same as saying "graphics are great/adds a lot of immersion" but I'm sure I'd be called a "gfx whore" if I said "Uncharted: Golden Abyss is great, the graphics are great and add a lot of immersion". Man I love them double standards.
C) I thought people didn't care about reviewers since they're full of shit?
D) Let's not forget about the horrid control scheme that everyone hates and it's only fixable but attaching a cancerous tumor to your system.
E) Too bad the HD Collection got higher reviews. Like 10+ points average higher.
F) If a remake of a game that can't even maintain a good framerate and requires an add on to be functional than I guess I've been giving the 3DS too much credit.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
since them is know as that what other game have been call that you tell me
Guinness World Records: Gamer's Edition (2009)
Rank Title Publisher Year
1 Super Mario Kart Nintendo 1992
2 Tetris Alexey Pajitnov 1987
3 Grand Theft Auto Rockstar Games 1997
4 Super Mario World Nintendo 1991
5 Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Nintendo 1998
6 Halo: Combat Evolved Bungie Studios 2001
7 Resident Evil 4 Capcom 2005
8 Final Fantasy XII Squaresoft 2006
9 Street Fighter II Capcom 1991
10 GoldenEye 007 Rare 1997

http://www.gamesradar.com/best-games-ever/

Lists Portal as no.1

Thing is, those lists usually mean jack as they're made on the basis of polls - depending on the demographic they ask, the answers are going to be termendously different.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country

Now why don't you scroll down and see what game is typically on first? Oh, is that OOT I spy?

That list is completely flawed. How can you attribute equal weighting to a list from 2000 or 2001 to a list from 2010 or 20011? It's a representation of data over the years but not an indication of anything other than how things changed over time.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That list is completely flawed. How can you attribute equal weighting to a list from 2000 or 2001 to a list from 2010 or 20011? It's a representation of data over the years but not an indication of anything other than how things changed over time.

Thought I'd point this out on the Action Button list:

>#10: Metal Gear Solid 3
>Publisher: Nintendo

EDIT: Also on that list:

>#6: Gears of War
>Publisher: Epic

(It was Microsoft Game Studios)
10 Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater Nintendo 2004

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I think we can all agree that "everyone" has "their own" list of games of all time. Some people like Zelda: OOT, some people don't - this isn't a thread about it though and we're sort of cluttering it. Valwin is Valwin, he is trolling softly. Let's just head back to the subject at hand, which is 3DS vs. Vita vs. Pandora vs. Chinese Knock-off's.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Let's just head back to the subject at hand, which is 3DS vs. Vita vs. Pandora vs. Chinese Knock-off's.

Which through no fault of thaddius' is flawed simply because of the two contenders, one has been out for far longer and has a far more established install base and game library. Is it going to be a surprise when the 3DS wins? No. Is it indicative that it's the better console? Again no, unless you're only going to live for a few days and you need to decide which of the two you want to play.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's just head back to the subject at hand, which is 3DS vs. Vita vs. Pandora vs. Chinese Knock-off's.

Which through no fault of thaddius' is flawed simply because of the two contenders, one has been out for far longer and has a far more established install base and game library. Is it going to be a surprise when the 3DS wins? No. Is it indicative that it's the better console? Again no, unless you're only going to live for a few days and you need to decide which of the two you want to play.

We're also on a Nintendo forum full of Nintendo fans. How else do you think the N64 beat the PSX?

Generally these polls are more for shits and giggles than actually be indicative of which console is better for me.

D

Deleted_171835

That's not the point. It's that the majority of recent lists have put Ocarina of Time as first. Nintendo Power, GameTrailers.com, Edge, FHM, Slogan Yams have all done so. And while metacritic scores aren't the best gauge, it is the highest scoring game on their site with 99/100.

A) I beat Metal Gear Solid 3.

B) Saying "3D is great/adds a lot of immersion" is the same as saying "graphics are great/adds a lot of immersion" but I'm sure I'd be called a "gfx whore" if I said "Uncharted: Golden Abyss is great, the graphics are great and add a lot of immersion". Man I love them double standards.

C) I thought people didn't care about reviewers since they're full of shit?

D) Let's not forget about the horrid control scheme that everyone hates and it's only fixable but attaching a cancerous tumor to your system.

E) Too bad the HD Collection got higher reviews. Like 10+ points average higher.

F) If a remake of a game that can't even maintain a good framerate and requires an add on to be functional than I guess I've been giving the 3DS too much credit.
A) I'm talking about the 3DS version.

B) What double standards? When have I ever accussed anyone of being a GFX whore? Heck, I'm a bit of one myself (hence the PC master-race thread). Although I would argue that 3D adds more immersion than better visuals. You got to try it to understand.

C) Who said that?

D) Fair enough but since it is fixable (CPP), it isn't that big of a problem. And if you beat Peacewalker on the PSP, you should be okay with this.

E) Well duh, it's a better value after all (3 games-in-one vs. one)

F) >implying it's the 3DS's fault that the game isn't at it's best.

Blame Konami for that. Regardless, it's still a worthy library addition.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's a popularity contest, really. If you want to be objective, be objective. If you want to be subjective, be subjective. At the end of the day, the more popular console wins, not the "better" one.

DragorianSword

GBAtemp's #1 Gunter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I accidently voted 3DS but I actually didn't want to vote at all.
At this very moment I think the 3DS is the best handheld from this list.
It has some great games, certainly the newly released Kid Icarus which I'm playing right now.
But it's a little unfair to the PSVita actually. For the moment there aren't a lot of games on it that appeal to me but the same could be said about the 3DS when it released.
I would wait a couple of months untill both handhelds had some good releases.
Besides the DS is still my all time favorite handheld. I have played on it almost every day since I got my flashcard in 2008 and I still have 30+ games on my 'to play' list. :yaynds:

D

Deleted_171835

I'm not sure as to why you introduce the Pandora in this generation. If anything, it should be pitted againts the DSi (which is *not* a DS, the hardware *is* different) and the PSP Go (while it retains nearly the same hardware, it does work on a different firmware and there is internal storage, so it can be treated as a separate entity) but I suppose this is a matter of open discussion.
I hear this really often and it's wrong.

The DSi is still a DS just like the PSP Go is still a PSP. The minor change in hardware doesn't matter. They're still part of the same line of systems.

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
Of course they have different merits but some people automatically think that X console is better for no apparent reason which causes arguments.

I voted for the Vita because it was the only console that had the most playtime after my PSP and while my 3DS was fun for a bit it quickly grew boring and just gathered dust for months now and while my Vita isn't doing much better atleast it still fun for me.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm not sure as to why you introduce the Pandora in this generation. If anything, it should be pitted againts the DSi (which is *not* a DS, the hardware *is* different) and the PSP Go (while it retains nearly the same hardware, it does work on a different firmware and there is internal storage, so it can be treated as a separate entity) but I suppose this is a matter of open discussion.
I hear this really often and it's wrong.

The DSi is still a DS just like the PSP Go is still a PSP. The minor change in hardware doesn't matter. They're still part of the same line of systems.
You often hear it because it's true. The DSi has its own library consisting of DSiWare and DSi Exclusives, the changes in hardware are not minor - the system has a different CPU, works on a different "OS" and has the DS one embedded for legacy purposes, it has cameras and it has an SD slot, it's a different build and a different system altogether, it only retained DS compatibility. The Go is different to the PSP in a lesser extent, but still, it is different. The DSi to the DS is like a Wii to the Gamecube - a minor hardware update. A Go to the PSP is like a PS3 Slim to the Fat - a revision with different functionality, but in this case, the functionality is extended not lessened.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte