Which tetris style do you prefer?

• Total voters

Vladimir

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Modern, all the way. Just as many people said, i love hard drop and ghosts. Those 2 things make the gameplay much better without sacrificing difficulty and the natural challenge of Tetris. But i really like a lot more the music of the old Tetris games, so i choose Mix.

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Modern is best in multiplayer. Retro is not fun in mutliplayer because it's much slower and less about skill rather than luck.

Retro is funnest in solo. Modern is not because it is too easy with hold piece, infinite rotation, etc. These don't affect Modern in multiplayer because if you sit there and spin the piece for longer than 1 second, you will lose.

So I picked mix of both.

edit: btw, Tetris is my favorite game of all time. 2nd is Halo (hence the name)

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Your friends are stupid. Tetris is Tetris no matter how you look at it. You might as well be saying Super Mario 64 and beyond isn't Super Mario at all.

The inclusion of hard drop and ghosting made the game more exciting and faster making for intense matches. However, I don't like the modes other than marathon.

Reactions: 1 person

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Your friends are stupid. Tetris is Tetris no matter how you look at it. You might as well be saying Super Mario 64 and beyond isn't Super Mario at all.

The inclusion of hard drop and ghosting made the game more exciting and faster making for intense matches. However, I don't like the modes other than marathon.
It's more like only 1 or 2 friends that's stupid. Regardless, I posted this because I wanted to see a wider variety of opinion, not to see a bunch of people insulting my friends.

Oh no no no, anybody who says something isn't something because it isn't like it's predecessor is an idiot. Also, who cares if we insult your friends, we're people on the internet, should we matter? lol

YayMii

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

It's more like only 1 or 2 friends that's stupid. Regardless, I posted this because I wanted to see a wider variety of opinion, not to see a bunch of people insulting my friends.

Retro is funnest in solo. Modern is not because it is too easy with hold piece, infinite rotation, etc. These don't affect Modern in multiplayer because if you sit there and spin the piece for longer than 1 second, you will lose.
You know, infinite rotation's only a thing in Tetris Worlds and Tetris DS. The ARIKA Tetris games, as well as the more recent Tetris games, handle rotation much differently (as in, they allow rotation after landing in order to allow trick placement such as T-spins, but has a short timer to prevent infinite spinning).

YayMii

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Oh no no no, anybody who says something isn't something because it isn't like it's predecessor is an idiot. Also, who cares if we insult your friends, we're people on the internet, should we matter? lol
You sum up exactly what I was thinking about his opinion.
And I know, it shouldn't matter that random people online are insulting my friends, I'm just saying that it wasn't the intent of my post.

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You know, infinite rotation's only a thing in Tetris Worlds and Tetris DS. The ARIKA Tetris games, as well as the more recent Tetris games, handle rotation much differently (as in, they allow rotation after landing in order to allow trick placement such as T-spins, but has a short timer to prevent infinite spinning).
Every official Tetris game since Tetris Worlds has infinite rotation.

YayMii

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
http://tetris.wikia.com/wiki/Infinity

This controversial feature allows a single tetromino to be easily kept "alive" forever. To reduce the negative effects of this, newer Tetris games tend to have modes that reward play speed, such as points per minute or garbage per minute. Also, while the number of times the player can move or rotate a piece is usually unlimited, limits can be instated in certain situations such as versus play in Tetris DS, or arcade situations like TGM3, where infinite prolonging of play is undesirable. In situations where such limits are in effect, the tetromino automatically locks down after the player resets the lock delay through movement or rotation, for a set number of times or seconds.
As I've said earlier, the newer games have limits such as a timer. Also, the ARIKA games are official.

JN_big3

Trophies
XP
Country
Tetris Modern (Tetris Battle on FB). The thing that I hate here is the powerups. But I like the maps

I don't like the background music of Classic tetris because I get annoyed when I play

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That would be Korobeiniki which all games following the Tetris guidelines since 2005 should include.

http://tetris.wikia.com/wiki/Tetris_Guideline

Later versions are also strongly invited to feature a version of Katjusha or Kalinka (a song some mistake for Korobeiniki and seen in several versions of tetris over the years- the main difference is this gets faster and drops where the other remains the same tempo) as well.

Re "I hate homebrew'd Tetris and other types. "
Although I guess you did not quite mean that (I took it to mean you did not care so much for the various alt versions out there) I should say homebrew versions are where I typically find the best/most faithful/most configurable implementations these days.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tetris with items FAIL i mean i wish you can have a online mutiplayer random without items. but sadly you can't... and the new tetris for 3ds really really turned me off from playing it for a while.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the longest time I would only do the original (preferably GB, but sometimes NES) as nothing else felt right to me. But now my favorite is Tetris Party Deluxe. I love holding and the original music , what can I say.

We need a good phone tetris. The EA one is hard to control past a point and it just doesn't seem right on the emulators. But maybe that's more of an issue with touch controls in general.

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://tetris.wikia.com/wiki/Infinity

This controversial feature allows a single tetromino to be easily kept "alive" forever. To reduce the negative effects of this, newer Tetris games tend to have modes that reward play speed, such as points per minute or garbage per minute. Also, while the number of times the player can move or rotate a piece is usually unlimited, limits can be instated in certain situations such as versus play in Tetris DS, or arcade situations like TGM3, where infinite prolonging of play is undesirable. In situations where such limits are in effect, the tetromino automatically locks down after the player resets the lock delay through movement or rotation, for a set number of times or seconds.
As I've said earlier, the newer games have limits such as a timer. Also, the ARIKA games are official.

I think Tetris DS had a timer where if you rotated continuously while the piece was on the floor it would lock down after 8 seconds. If you can't place a piece after 8 seconds you're doomed anyway. For 8 seconds or infinity, if you can continuously rotate the piece for a long period of time without penalty, it takes away from the core of the game massively.

Tetris DS is the only one I've played that had such a timer anyhow. I don't live in Japan, so Arika ports don't affect me.

YayMii

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think Tetris DS had a timer where if you rotated continuously while the piece was on the floor it would lock down after 8 seconds. If you can't place a piece after 8 seconds you're doomed anyway. For 8 seconds or infinity, if you can continuously rotate the piece for a long period of time without penalty, it takes away from the core of the game massively.

Tetris DS is the only one I've played that had such a timer anyhow. I don't live in Japan, so Arika ports don't affect me.
Tetris DS only has a timer on VS play though. In singleplayer mode, you can spin until your thumbs get tired of spinning, just like Tetris Worlds.
Every official Tetris Company game after that (Splash, Party, Friends, and Axis) had a fairly short timer (something like 5 spins or 2 seconds).

Also, there's a number of Tetris clones that faithfully recreate the Arika games. A lot of people consider the Arika games to be the best games for speedrunning Tetris, so it might be worth giving a try.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Too bad Hitler didn't make camps for immigrants oh wait
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Isn't the latest method for slim like self right?
    Like a 1 wire mod?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still two wire with resistor if you don't count the 7 wire pc probes cause hardware likes a good probing
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    2 wires left on motherboard, 7 temp soldered to a flasher, then removed after flashed
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Technically don't even have to remove it could just keep it on
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't really mess with hard mods due to neuro issues
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    I tried to get a slim on a black friday once, but they ran out of stock for the $100 one
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    many ages ago
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can find them $50-75 nowdays if catch a deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still remember grabbing this ps4 slim on black Friday for $200 when the msrp was still around 300
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went to auction at a mom/pops video game store few months ago that was closing, and bought 11 slims for $200, 1 was DOA but 10 work fine. so hella deal. Already rgh3'ed 8 of them. But most younger kids don't even want anymore, unless it plays stupid "fortnight", or newer shit.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think I'm gonna use my giftcard balance on a nice pair of headphones but $100 is still limited
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soundcore q30s are nice but they leak so much sound it sounds like speakers
    Ken spend the 100 on a gun and skii mask, wait for a jogger at the park jewelry money and headphones!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If only Amazon sold guns
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking dick heads think it's a bad idea to get a gun 2 days later
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wait, I thought you were the dickhe...nvm
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got balls on my chin and two dicks on my forehead sir
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry, no offense there double dickhead chinballs.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chicks still love it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Mommy, look, what is that?". "That's your soon to be daddy."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That you'll only see once
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That you'll only see once +1