Tetris - Retro or modern?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by YayMii, May 13, 2012.

?

Which tetris style do you prefer?

1. Retro

40.4%
  2. Modern

14.9%
  3. A mix of both

44.7%
May 13, 2012

Tetris - Retro or modern? by YayMii at 2:49 PM (2,197 Views / 0 Likes) 46 replies

1. YayMii
    OP

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    My friends have been playing Tetris a lot recently. However, they've been arguing with each other about the modern Tetris features (such as hard-drop, ghosting, holds, etc), one of them even saying that the new features make it "not a real Tetris game".
    So I thought I'd want to ask you guys. Which type of Tetris do you prefer, and why?

2. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Original Tetris is true Tetris.

The some modern modes are variations of the game others are not Tetris (like the Metroid one on Tetris DS). Depends on the mode.

3. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Modern. Tetris DS was just such a revelation with it's online multplayer, Ghosting and loads of modes to make the game more lenghty.

4. Crimsonclaw111

Member Crimsonclaw111 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Considering my favorite in the series is Tetris DS I'd have to say a mixture. I love the new features (which you don't need to use), especially hard-drop. I hate waiting for the blocks to fall on the lower difficulties. I love the old designs of the blocks and original game themes though.

Honestly Tetris DS was perfect.

5. YayMii
    OP

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    I'm only talking about the standard game mode, and the rules/features that the newer Tetris games added.

6. Tsuteto

Member Tsuteto GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Mix. I'm still a fan of Dr. Mario/Tetris that came out for the SNES, but more for nostalgia reasons. I don't know HOW many hours was put into that.

That, and Tetris Attack is best Tetris, which is also for the SNES :P But, yeah, that's not REAL Tetris.

7. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    We're talking about Tetris here...

Warning: Spoilers inside!

1 person likes this.
  8. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Give me just about any tetris other than pub games machine tetris and I will probably be happy. I like some of the old tetris games and would be interested to see them remade properly (I know I can get a homebrew/OS version and test that). However if there is one game that demonstrates above all others that tight controls and just as fast graphics are necessary it is tetris and as much as I love those old machines they are not up to it a lot of the time.

Ghosting I can live without but I will not say no.
    Hard drop I like, tetris grand masters hard drop as seen in the sadly C&Ded DS homebrew (hard drop but still able to move once or twice so as to do something like a hard drop followed by a t spin) I like more. The thing minna no soft tetris does of giving a fraction of a second break after a hard drop.... don't know.
    Hold- I find it fundamentally changes the game as you no longer have to build to accommodate anything but I like it none the less.
    Able to see every upcoming block- if any of the new features I "had" to lose or revert it to the just the next one it would be this.
    "infinite spin" and to a lesser extent wall kick - I almost always play against the computer or an opponent so it barely troubles things. With the exception of a basic tspin and the TGM hard drop thing above I will lose it gladly though.
    Gravity/sticky blocks- I like my floating blocks unless I am playing tetris 2.
    Garbage at the bottom of the screen- love it.
    "items" in Tetris DS online multiplayer. Eh.. interesting but lose them and I will make a passing not if not shake your hand.
    Sticky, bomb, fusion and special blocks- tetris 2 or extra modes. Keep them out of my standard tetris though.
    "Random bag" drawing/generation- I get the theory and any dislike I have of it is probably reflexive having seen it done for board games but I want to note it here.
    DAS- (delayed auto shift). Not sure where this came in but I like it.

Afraid I do not really study my tetris rules well enough to go really in depth.

I am not too fussed about alt modes although the PSP minis did it well and tetris DS was interesting enough I guess. Absolute favourite odd mode has to be tetris 2 on the NES and maybe eggo mania on the GBA if I am allowed to push the definition (of course if I am pushing I have to say rampart). Favourite mod still has to be tetanus on drugs/lockjaw the overdose screen wobble- http://pineight.com/tod/

1 person likes this.
  9. tbgtbg

Member tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

United States
    The best Tetris ever is the one that came with the original GameBoy.

I still like Tetris DS, though, so I'm not too terribly put out by "modern" changes, I mean, I can always still go back and play the real thing too.

1 person likes this.
  10. Xarsah16

Member Xarsah16 GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot

Somehow, I find myself going back to Tetris NES the most. It's colorful, fun, and more challenging especially if you turn off the next piece window :) I also like how there isn't any temptation for holding pieces because that feature was thought of later. Not having it there provides more of a challenge as I tend to stock line pieces. I'm really loving the older games, and the colorfulness of the NES version. Next comes the DS version for me and all its added modes, and I was very disappointed with Axis. I wanted to use the d-stick but I couldn't. :( It's not programmed into the game oddly enough. I can play Chrono Trigger DS on my Acekard and move Chrono with the d-stick on my 3DS, but I can't use the stick in Tetris Axis. There's an issue here.

11. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    I prefer modern Tetris. Ghosting and hard drops are two crucial features IMO, as they greatly improve the gameplay. Don't really have any opinion on holds, but they come in handy.

12. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    As long as it's official Tetris, I'm good.

I hate homebrew'd Tetris and other types.

1 person likes this.
  13. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Holds, Hard-drops and ghosting is just an natural evolution of the game. Items, however...fuck that noise with a rusty pole covered in rabid exploding honey badgers.

14. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Items almost always suck, I like ghosts, hard drops are great, holding is great but it's still a fun game without holding, I like how Tetris Axis for 3DS has very brief pauses between clearing lines, some of the Hudson Tetris Party/Axis "party" modes are decent

Also I love online battles/ranking and knowing I'm putting the USA back on top of the dog pile

15. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I find it hard to live without hard drops but I really don't need ghosts.

I'll say modern Tetris though since the aesthetics are better and there's just more to do.

16. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    Hipster Tetris.

2 people like this.
  17. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Hipster Tetris you say?

[​IMG]

18. macmanhigh

Banned macmanhigh THC = Truly High Caliber

United States
    I agree with everybody that Tetris DS kicked all kinds of Balls i still bust it out almost daily....it was like crack with its Online Multiplayer madness so good.
    But again Tetris is Tetris all the way round.....it spawned one of the most Technoist remixable grooves of all time i think

19. ShinyLatios

Member ShinyLatios Local "That Guy"

Netherlands
    The gameboy and NES versions will always be the true tetris games for me.

1 person likes this.
  20. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    I always prefer the more oldschool tetris games. Dunno why.
    I'm not very good at tetris regardless, lol. Don't need fancy features and shit throwin' me off even more.