Hacking Testkit Update on Retail Vita??

pikpol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Heey guys,

I hope some of you can help me with this.
I have a Testkit Update file. And now I'm wondering what will happen if I install this update on to a retail Vita.
Will it brick? As the retail vita doesn't have some features which the Testkit has? Or will it work but just give you errors when it tries to access stuff?
I mean, if it works, this could bring some nice features for me and maybe for others too :)

I gladly like to hear your opinions about this^^

D

Deleted User

Anyways, yes, you can install it on your Vita if you wanted to.
I tried installing the testkit update data on my PSTV this morning, but it said "This system software cannot be used with this system". (I tried it through recovery mode)

Maybe it will just be the same story for a normal Vita.

A

a9lh-1user

If you install this on a retail PS Vita and get it to work (whats maybe possible with some modifications look at yifanlus blog) what will you do with it?
The debugging options are useless without the original Dev PS Vita because it has other HW than a retail.
And the Dev Kit firmware has to be avtivated from Sony!
Anyway you wont be able to play normal games with it because only signed games for the Dev Kit are running with it.

So my advice would be: If you have a spare PS Vita try it and let us know what happened. If you dont have a spare DONT DO IT!

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I tried installing the testkit update data on my PSTV this morning, but it said "This system software cannot be used with this system". (I tried it through recovery mode)

Maybe it will just be the same story for a normal Vita.
Ahh, maybe not, I was basing my answer off a Wololo thread but I skimmed it too much and didn't pay attention that it was just using a normal Vita to update a Testkit Vita :lol: http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?t=46264&p=407091 <

Reactions: Deleted User

pikpol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you install this on a retail PS Vita and get it to work (whats maybe possible with some modifications look at yifanlus blog) what will you do with it?
The debugging options are useless without the original Dev PS Vita because it has other HW than a retail.
And the Dev Kit firmware has to be avtivated from Sony!
Anyway you wont be able to play normal games with it because only signed games for the Dev Kit are running with it.

So my advice would be: If you have a spare PS Vita try it and let us know what happened. If you dont have a spare DONT DO IT!
But what if you had a dev signed game and want it to run on a spare Vita?;)

A

a9lh-1user

You cant because the firmware has to be activated by sony before you can use it's full potential ;)

D

Deleted User

@a9lh-1user, The debugging options consist of features such as an Eboot Checker, a debug utility menu in the bubble edit menu (to perform core dumps, delete specific data of an app, etc.), and possibly the main debug settings in the settings app. (So it's pretty much like CFW on a PS3)
They may come in handy if you want to create homebrews and such, but yeah, you're right in saying it's not very useful for the end-user...

And I'm pretty sure you might be able to play those Vitamin and MaiDump game dumps since devkits can already install and run unsigned/decrypted apps. ;)

The closest thing we have to a DEX console convert at the moment is a method to replace a retail vs0 partition with a DEX vs0 partition.
(Only try it if you really know what you're doing!)

Last edited by ,
Reactions: a9lh-1user
A

a9lh-1user

Here is what Yifan Lu things about it:
https://m.reddit.com/r/vita/comments/3g3oz5/vita_with_debug_firmware_spotted_at_gamescom_2015/
it's near the end.

"Activation key is basically like that timer on Lost. There's a private key owned by Sony and a public key on the Vita (we call "activation key"). Sony signs a message saying "this device is valid from x to y". The device validates it and if the date is valid (and the internal clock battery has not run out), the devkit allows you to run unsigned code and debug packages.

You will never run a PDEL (devkit) firmware on a retail without heavy modifications because it tries to set up devices and memory that doesn't exist on a retail. It'll always crash on boot up if you get past all the other checks to prevent it from being installed in the first place.

Even if you modify the firmware to run, it's pretty useless as you don't have the additional hardware to interface with the debugger on the computer"

But you are right @Voxel maybe it is possible to play games with it (Vitamin or MaiDump ones).
I wont try this because i need my Vita's for gaming and fun ;)

Last edited by ,

pikpol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Here is what Yifan Lu things about it:
https://m.reddit.com/r/vita/comments/3g3oz5/vita_with_debug_firmware_spotted_at_gamescom_2015/
it's near the end.

"Activation key is basically like that timer on Lost. There's a private key owned by Sony and a public key on the Vita (we call "activation key"). Sony signs a message saying "this device is valid from x to y". The device validates it and if the date is valid (and the internal clock battery has not run out), the devkit allows you to run unsigned code and debug packages.

You will never run a PDEL (devkit) firmware on a retail without heavy modifications because it tries to set up devices and memory that doesn't exist on a retail. It'll always crash on boot up if you get past all the other checks to prevent it from being installed in the first place.

Even if you modify the firmware to run, it's pretty useless as you don't have the additional hardware to interface with the debugger on the computer"

But you are right @Voxel maybe it is possible to play games with it (Vitamin or MaiDump ones).
I wont try this because i need my Vita's for gaming and fun ;)
but the devkit is not a testkit. Maybe the testkit would actually work?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30