Tempted to get a Raspberry Pi 3

Konno Ryo

gbatemp's clueless butler?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would recommend the RPi3, I got one over the holidays and it works fine. The plugs on it seem quite sturdy, and board too ( I dropped it when I was unwrapping it:( but it is fine.^_^). I didn't get a case with mine, so I made a nice one for around $5, it's not to hard.
webcam-toy-photo14mod.jpg
I have not had time to try out emulating on it yet (to much family and turkey). But I will recommend using Berryboot to set up your Pi, just format a SDcard to FAT32 and extract the files, the rest of the set up is done on the Pi. Pretty strait forward I think. Also a warning "DON'T touch the Pi when its on you can get shocked!".

Reactions: the_randomizer

MarioMasta64

hi. i make batch stuff and portable shiz
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
I would recommend the RPi3, I got one over the holidays and it works fine. The plugs on it seem quite sturdy, and board too ( I dropped it when I was unwrapping it:( but it is fine.^_^). I didn't get a case with mine, so I made a nice one for around $5, it's not to hard.
I have not had time to try out emulating on it yet (to much family and turkey). But I will recommend using Berryboot to set up your Pi, just format a SDcard to FAT32 and extract the files, the rest of the set up is done on the Pi. Pretty strait forward I think. Also a warning "DON'T touch the Pi when its on you can get shocked!".
lakka doesnt work with berryboot, also it often has problems because of the old linux kernel thats used with berryboot

Konno Ryo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
lakka doesnt work with berryboot, also it often has problems because of the old linux kernel thats used with berryboot
Like I said "I have not had time to try out emulating on it yet (to much family and turkey)." I'm just saying what's working for me (from one noob to another).

MarioMasta64

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Like I said "I have not had time to try out emulating on it yet (to much family and turkey)." I'm just saying what's working for me (from one noob to another).
indeed, it also depends on what you want, he just wants emulation so lakka will suffice, for a programmer raspbian, for a hacker kali, for a end-user berryboot. i wouldnt recommend berryboot for anyone unless youre testing an os because of the outdated kernel and conflicts it causes. also security issues

Konno Ryo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
indeed, it also depends on what you want, he just wants emulation so lakka will suffice, for a programmer raspbian, for a hacker kali, for a end-user berryboot. i wouldnt recommend berryboot for anyone unless youre testing an os because of the outdated kernel and conflicts it causes. also security issues
I'll go for kali then:ninja:.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

MarioMasta64

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
http://www.lakka.tv/get/linux/rpi/install/first-boot/games/

It doesn't support WiFi? That's gonna be a pain as I use nothing but that where I live :unsure: Because once I set it up, I'll have no way to upload ROMs to the SD card.
it does. where did you read it doesnt? i connect it to wifi all the time.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thanks. Did you notice my "upcycled" case.:ha:
upcycled? would you link me?

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it does. where did you read it doesnt? i connect it to wifi all the time.

upcycled? would you link me?

On the official guide here http://www.lakka.tv/get/linux/rpi/install/first-boot/games/ How do I upload the ROMs from my PC to the device, I just use a flash ROM and let them transfer over like when one uses RetroPie? I'm reading the Lakka Wiki and I'm already getting second thoughts.

must be out of date, as I mentioned before WiFi was really east to setup on lakka even using the controller, usually you need to get a keyboard plugged in
Then maybe they should update their guide XD Okay good.

MarioMasta64

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
On the official guide here http://www.lakka.tv/get/linux/rpi/install/first-boot/games/ How do I upload the ROMs from my PC to the device, I just use a flash ROM and let them transfer over like when one uses RetroPie? I'm reading the Lakka Wiki and I'm already getting second thoughts.

actually you press up any controller and use up/down to scroll through letters and start to confirm. (as i dont have a keyboard for it) for the wifi settings.
also you can just plug in a usbflash drive or harddrive with your roms.

MarioMasta64

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States

actually you press up any controller and use up/down to scroll through letters and start to confirm. (as i dont have a keyboard for it) for the wifi settings.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I just dropped a bunch in the samba share, chose the "scan folder" option from the main screen and it automatically sorted them into the appropriate sections......couldn't really be much easier

MarioMasta64

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
sorry about that the internet has been acting weird, can an admin delete the copies or something?

I just dropped a bunch in the samback share, chose the "scan folder" option from the main screen and it automatically sorted them into the appropriate sections......couldn't really be much easier
indeed

I just dropped a bunch in the samba share, chose the "scan folder" option from the main screen and it automatically sorted them into the appropriate sections......couldn't really be much easier
however you can put a usb drive in too

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

But what if I want them copied from a flash drive to the internal micro SD card so I don't have to use a USB drive? Surely there's a way to do that in Lakka :P

And where does that folder go? I'd rather have them installed on the device as my WiFi isn't 100% perfect.

MarioMasta64

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
But what if I want them copied from a flash drive to the internal micro SD card so I don't have to use a USB drive? Surely there's a way to do that in Lakka :P

And where does that folder go? I'd rather have them installed on the device as my WiFi isn't 100% perfect.
you can hook the microsd to the pc and copy your roms to the roms folder, just that easy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right, I thought about updating my PS3 CFW to 4.91, but why really, everything plays fine now. I guess for people that have already updated past 4.9 it would be helpful.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Idk if online servers are still active that would be my only thought
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thats true, personally I don't play it online at all, in fact, I deleted all wifi details on it once I installed CFW, so it won't connect and auto-update itself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really only games I play on the PS3 (You know me, I'm more of a Xbox junkie)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps3 really has no titles worth going online
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    what is nps?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, what about GTA v onl... O Yea the PS3 versión got discontinued
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I feel like the world's cheapest pc build can play gtaV
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    In modern standards
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, then why mine can't?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 What is nps you mentioned?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because your pc has a hamster innit
    +3
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    R.I.P. LittleBigPlanet PS3 servers
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    LBP2 still the goat tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That can be played on ps5 iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +2
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy +2