Hardware Temporary hard mod using pogo pin probes?

agent55511

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stupid question. So I was recently considering hardmodding my O3DS xl, but was worried about damaging the SOC. I looked into ways of connecting to the test points on the board without soldering, and found pogo pin test probes from adafruit which are basically alligator clips with well.. pogo pins on them. I was wondering if there is any chance it would work for dumping the nand or if I'd have to solder

burningstallion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Stupid question. So I was recently considering hardmodding my O3DS xl, but was worried about damaging the SOC. I looked into ways of connecting to the test points on the board without soldering, and found pogo pin test probes from adafruit which are basically alligator clips with well.. pogo pins on them. I was wondering if there is any chance it would work for dumping the nand or if I'd have to solder
You can try for yourself, just remember you need to successfully dump your nand (minimal two iterations with exact checksum and proper size) before any attempts to write your nand back. But if you hate having leftover solder you can always resort back to solder wick (solder sucker won't remove those little solder bits )

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
It can be done, I made one for for someone bur it's a bit tricky and you probably will get cramped hands holding it in place carefully while performing the nand dumps/writing

(then again it was my first time messing with diy circuit boards and I made it slightly off centre so it had to be held in place rather than screwing into the analogue stick part which was my original plan)

Last edited by gamesquest1,

burningstallion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
A definite yes/no answer would be nice. Here's a photo of what I'm talking about.

edit 1: Here's a second photo.
All of the 3ds ribbons need to be connected again in order to dump the eMMC. And because of that you will need very low profile connections to be safe, again for the sake of not frying your motherboard by connecting the battery in reverse.

Pretty much if you use those pogo pins you can't assemble back the 3ds, so that's a no.

Either learn soldering, or have a electronic repair shop to do it or you.

You can desolder if you want to. If you have solder wick probably you can make an impression the 3ds hasn't been tampered with.

Last edited by burningstallion,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
@MrTaco did a solderless mod using pogo pins on his O3DS XL so I would definitely say it's possible...

https://gbatemp.net/threads/nand-flash-dump-3ds-xl.350668/page-68#post-4931791
That looks really nice and seems like it would work.
A definite yes/no answer would be nice. Here's a photo of what I'm talking about.

edit 1: Here's a second photo.
Those don't seem like they would work well with the already cramped 3DS mainboard. There are other options though, like what DanTheMan mentioned, which should work if you do it properly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: C64 puts it to shame