Temp Debates #6

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by tigris, Sep 1, 2010.

?

Cannabis (plant) should be legalized.

1. It should be legalized

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. It should not be legalized

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2010

Temp Debates #6 by tigris at 1:31 PM (3,015 Views / 0 Likes) 50 replies

1. tigris
    OP

Member tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]
    Helping everyo...OMG is that a tree?? *tree* *tree* *tree*

Debate 6 Cannabis (plant) should be legalized.​
    How to debate
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Previous Debates

Future Debates

Description:

Cannabis. A dangerously addicitive drug that can produce euphoric effects, and can fluctuate human anxiety levels, making them more paranoid. It also, however has very beneficial medicinal use, recommended by many doctors around the world, and can even prevent Alzheimer's Disease.

2. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Available for buying at the apothecary, yes, because that way, only beneficial things can come from it.

Legalised in general, no, because that way, literally everyone will have access to it and it will most likely come with many nasty side effects.

3. Little

Member Little I r Little

United Kingdom
    I think it should be legalised to be grown in a controlled manner by pharmaceutical/medical companies or similar "farmers" and then give out on a prescription basis by qualified doctors.
    It shouldn't be legalised to the extent that anyone can grow it or legalised for recreational usage, because at the end of the day it does have some potent side effects.

4. Phoenix Goddess

Member Phoenix Goddess The Ninja's Protégée

United States

I agree with this.

I've seen what people do with it illegally, and the majority of them are a bunch of idiots once they have it. I can only say a handful of them don't go off their bouncy ball when they're high.

In the area I live in, people kill over and will on it, I see no reason to legalize it in general.
    For medical issues though, I agree because it helps some elderly.

5. tigris
    OP

United Kingdom
    *no, skip this post*

6. .psyched

Member .psyched GBAtemp Regular

France
    Agreed. Maybe it should be legalized, but only sold in small quantity or allowed to certain people with a doctor's prescription, or only distributed at hospitals for medical issues, yes. Otherwise, l don't see the point.

7. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    It should be legalised and treated the way tobacco is now.

8. zeromac

Member zeromac Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY

Australia
    For Medicinal Purposes yes for recreational use fuck no

It helps calm people down so it can be used for medicinal purposes but for the fact you want to get high off it just to feel good, no

For Medicinal= YES
    For Recreational=NOO

9. tigris
    OP

United Kingdom
    Well, it's all well saying yes and no, but for the end of the debate, I need a firm YES, let's legalize it completely or a firm NO, let's not legalize it at all. Currently, it's heading for the "YES we should legalize it completely" point.

10. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    You cannot possibly legalise this completely and expect good results.

Poll needs a 'yes and no' option.

11. Phoenix Goddess

Member Phoenix Goddess The Ninja's Protégée

United States

Uh.... are you sure about that? :wtf:
    From what I see, it's 50/50 straight down according to the posts.
    On a topic like this, you won't get a complete answer because of the pros and cons.

12. tigris
    OP

United Kingdom
    "Cannabis is listed in schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act (CSA), the most restrictive schedule. The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), which administers the CSA, continues to support that placement and FDA concurred because cannabis met the three criteria for placement in Schedule I under 21 U.S.C. 812(b)(1) (e.g., cannabis has a high potential for abuse, has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States, and has a lack of accepted safety for use under medical supervision).

Furthermore, there is currently sound evidence that smoked cannabis is harmful. A past evaluation by several Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) agencies, including the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) and National Institute for Drug Abuse (NIDA), concluded that no sound scientific studies supported medical use of cannabis for treatment in the United States, and no animal or human data supported the safety or efficacy of cannabis for general medical use."

13. injected11

Member injected11 Crescent Fresh™

United States
    It has a high potential for abuse, but is not a physically addictive substance. By that ruling, cigarettes should be nowhere near legal.

It has currently accepted medical uses. My elderly next door neighbor was diagnosed with brain tumors, and her doctor tried to get her listed as legal to have marijuana medicinally to help her deal with the pain. The board rejected her, so she ended up buying some from a 17-year old that she worked with. System is broken on both ends, but it DOES have accepted medical uses.

It's safer than alcohol, plain and simple. I don't understand how they claim it has a "lack of accepted safety".

It's worth note that cannabis was originally made illegal for many reasons, very few of which were legitimate. I gave a speech on the subject for class last year, and what I found during my research made me wanna rage. Hemp's popularity was on the rise, and would have been major competition against cotton, and the farmers couldn't have that. Cannabis has thousands of practical uses, and would be a more practical solution to many of the problems we've "solved". In fact, way back when, a car was made nearly entirely out of pressure-molded hemp, and even today tons of home-building materials (paint, rope, boards, even cement) can be derived from it. It was unfairly heavily associated with black and latino culture during a time of extreme racism, which led to its illegality. One of the real arguments used in the deciding session was that the drug drove black people insane and gave them an overwhelming desire for white women, while on the other hand it made Latinos overly lazy and gave them a desire to steal. Arnslinger delivered a case filled with blatant lies and racism, while the actual expert on the matter was essentially ignored because killing this one plant would save several other business from falling to a superior product.

The plant isn't purely for smoking, people. It is really a miracle of biology with thousands of potential beneficial uses. Legalize it, regulate the drug portion like alcohol and slap an age limit on it, and start taxing it to fund the school systems.

14. Domination

Member Domination GBAtemp Psycho!

Singapore
    I call for it to be legalise. But tightly regulated.

I've got a few concerns regarding cannabis. Banning drugs does not solve the problem, it creates more problems: It simply creates an underground market for drugs. When the demand of it is greater, the more influential the organisations that peddle the substances get. And when they get so big, widespread violence is imminent and it gives rise to more problems, like the famous Mexican drug cartels.

If drugs were legal, would they still have so much influence. Maybe, but their main means of business is hindered, when it becomes available legally, prices drop. Rather than helping more organised crimes gain influence and money, why not earn some money yourselves? Singapore manages to sell cigarettes at USD$5-10+ per pack. You could probably jack cannabis price a tad higher.

Now on to a more social issue, wouldn't children get influenced if their parents smoke cannabis? But if their parents get it illegally, they aren't more likely to smoke it outside, in fear of arrests, and the children get to see it. If you manage to set up certain areas, like the cafes in Netherlands, the children are less likely to see their parents "in action". And they should open more rehab centers and instill a better health education if they want to crack down on addiction.

If we wish to ban cannabis or maybe ban all drugs, why not ban cigarettes too? Yes I am aware that there won't be completely good results as expected and my argument may be flawed, but cigarettes have been regulated alright(at least in Singapore) I think it should be ok to legalise cannabis.

Everything can be legalised, but everything must be regulated. It's more of an ideological thing, as I believe governments should not ban the public from everything but instead should let the public judge if what is to be banned is truly that terrible.

15. giratina16

Member giratina16 Born This Way

United Kingdom
    If it was controlled and grown by actual farmer people then I would say legalise it.

16. Blood Fetish

Member Blood Fetish Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

United States
    Legalizing cannabis would cripple organized crime instantly. Mexico is imploding from the horrific violence due in large part to the neo-prohibition in effect in the US. The rise in organized crime, violence, and death is an exact repeat of what happened in the 1920s when the US foolishly banned alcohol.

Legalizing cannabis would provide billions in tax revenue.

Legalizing cannabis would clear out almost half of the US prison population (largest on Earth) overnight. This would save the tax payers tens of billions per year. In addition these non-violent offenders would not turn into hardened criminals by being detained in one of the worst prison systems on the planet. Further yet, instead of draining our money while in prison they can actually be productive members of society and provide taxes from their income and spending.

Legalizing cannabis would allow us severely reduce or dissolve organizations such as the DEA (Drug Enforcement Agency), again saving a significant amount of money. It would also help to regain some of our rights which have been eroded over the decades due to the never-ending "war on drugs".

Books can be written around the benefits of legalizing cannabis and how badly it is hurting the US and Mexico. This does not touch on how much healthier it is than tobacco or drinking, or the massive industrial benefits of hemp.

17. Berthenk

Member Berthenk Epitome of Awesomeness

Netherlands
    Legalize it. Make it available in stores, just like cigarettes, but put lots of tax on it. This the government can put more money into education and the likes.

18. Blood Fetish

Member Blood Fetish Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

United States
    Alternately, we could pay a third of a billion dollars for a single plane that will never see combat.

19. Thoob

Member Thoob LOLmonade.

United Kingdom
    Many studies have found that tobacco is in fact more deadly than cannabis. Therefore, it should be made legal and taxed to shit. Or tobacco should also be banned.

20. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    We have had this debate in some depth in the past (usually late April) and I am ill prepared to type out a decent response right now but the real reason I appeared this time is to ask could you please link up the old posts- debates mean little if they are just a title.

I even saved you the hassle of doing it for the existing ones.
    Code:
    Previous Debates
    [spoiler]
    [url=http://gbatemp.net/t249758-temp-debates-1?view=findpost&p=3064196]Can we live without modern technology?[/url] The 'Temp says [b]we can[/b].
    [url=http://gbatemp.net/t249977-temp-debates-2?view=findpost&p=3066781]Will the world end in 2012?[/url] The 'Temp says '[b]fuck no[/b]'.
    [url=http://gbatemp.net/t250032-temp-debates-3?view=findpost&p=3067379]Genetic/DNA Manipulation on humans. Should it be legal in the UK?[/url] The 'Temp thinks that [b]it should be legal[/b]
    [url=http://gbatemp.net/t250181-temp-debates-4?view=findpost&p=3069091]Media Censorship? Protective or Restrictive?[/url] The 'temp believes media censorship is [b]restrictive[/b] - but only just!
    [url=http://gbatemp.net/t251174-temp-debates-5?view=findpost&p=3081608]Health and Safety laws. Protective or restrictive?[/url] [b]Protective[/b], 13 to 7
    [url=http://gbatemp.net/t251611-temp-debates-6]Cannabis (plant) should be legalized. Oh really?[/url]
    [/spoiler]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.