Hacking System update, but no connection...

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do u even know its a 4.0.1 update because the switch never tells u what update version the update is me thinking trolling

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's true what I just said
It's not. You're not even understanding anything I say. NOTHING you said was even sort of remotely true. Just butt out of my thread if you're going to troll, Jesus Christ.

Also, seriously consider taking an English class. You're as comprehensible as an ostrich with peanut butter in his mouth, and his balls clamped.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
How do u even know its a 4.0.1 update because the switch never tells u what update version the update is me thinking trolling

He said this.
I was on 4.0. I was alerted of the system update to 4.1 without any internet connection. NO way to connect to the internet, and I was still alerted. The game cart asked for an update too. Same thing. No internet. C'mon guy. READ

He's on 4.0. Theres only one way to go which is up. The latest firmware is 4.1.
So using basic logic the update is 4.1

Last edited by SG854,
Reactions: Thirty3Three

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It could be the SDXC Update, though. Did you, by any chance, insert a new SD card lately?
Nope. Good suggestion, though! Already had that update and bought it at launch.

It is CONFIRMED to have been the system's update, and the gamecart's update.

I've actually read of a few others having this happen to them

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I only see two options:
  1. You're crazy.
  2. Nintendo magic.
Regarding Nintendo magic, I see a couple of options there:
  1. They lied to you, and "airplane" mode is not really wireless off, and also they have Ninja Wi-Fi hotspots around town, Nintendo hotspot style, that don't require configuration for the Switch to connect, and that push updates up your Switch's ass.
  2. They started putting timebombs in their system updates, let's say they release FW 4.0, and they say "no matter what, you will have to update in 3 weeks", then they program a time-bomb notification (no connection required), so in 3 weeks they must release a new FW (even if the new FW only updates the time-bomb), and it will notify you that you should update (even without connecting to the internet)

Last edited by sarkwalvein,
Reactions: satan89

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I only see two options:
  1. You're crazy.
  2. Nintendo magic.
Regarding Nintendo magic, I see a couple of options there:
  1. They lied to you, and "airplane" mode is not really wireless off, and also they have Ninja Wi-Fi hotspots around town, Nintendo hotspot style, that don't require configuration for the Switch to connect, and that push updates up your Switch's ass.
  2. They started putting timebombs in their system updates, let's say they release FW 4.0, and they say "no matter what, you will have to update in 3 weeks", then they program a time-bomb notification (no connection required), so in 3 weeks they must release a new FW (even if the new FW only updates the time-bomb), and it will notify you that you should update (even without connecting to the internet)
3rd option he was drunk and connected it to internet without him remembering.

Last edited by SG854,
Reactions: felix.200

WadsRUs

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Let's assume that Nintendo are being extra sneaky, how would they enable this? How about 'secretly' retaining the last WiFi security data that you entered on the Switch (even though the settings show it's deleted) and using that to reconnect from time to time to check for updates?

The workaround for this is of course to change your WiFi security password.

Perhaps though it's just a bug in the system code and while you think you've deleted the WiFi security info, the system still retains it and uses it?

Reactions: pelago

lembi2001

Trophies
XP
Country
If you have access to your Router you can check if the switch is connected to it by looking for the Switch's MAC address in the list of connected devices, EVEN if Airplane mode is switched on. If the device is still connected, one of 2 things have happened, Airplane mode is not switched on, or Nintendo have setup Airplane mode to allow the console to ping Nintendo's servers to check for updates.

I fin it hard to believe that an update has just appeared on your console without a network connection being active though

wvsgnovize

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I doubt Nintendo is messing with the Airplane mode. The point of airplane mode is to prevent radio interferrence (not just in airplanes, there are other places where you really can't have that, too) - a Switch trying to communicate on 2.4 or 5GHz despite being put in Airplane mode is just a lawsuit waiting to happen. Especially since this isn't anything Nintendo can be sneaky about, since most routers would log connection attempts.

The timebomb theory is quite plausible, though. Maybe they actually have a fixed release schedule that is built into the Switch, so it will nag you even without Internet when it "thinks" a new update should have been released.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Maybe it is something similar like with the 3DS when somebody walks by with a higher firmware Switch that the switch automaticly grabs that firmware from that unit and they didn't mention that. I don't think it is something like that but maybe they implemented that feature on future firmwares since i'm on 3.0 and never had that problem. It can Always be a new feature they added, who the fuck knows

Last edited by kumikochan,
Reactions: pelago

lostboysteve

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also noticed this. I got the alert without an internet connection.

The whole WiFi is weird on the switch. I show full signal but can not connect unless I'm less than 5 feet from the router. Once connected, I can walk around the house and not disconnect.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, no sabría cómo decirte