System update, but no connection...

Discussion in 'Switch - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Thirty3Three, Dec 6, 2017.

1. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    A system can't download a system update/firmware update without getting said data over a wireless connection from a server without being connected at all. It's impossible for bandwidth to work that way.

a9lh-1user likes this.
  2. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Antarctica
    That makes more sense, sort of a blackmail more then a nag... or hostage situation lolol.

3. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I don't think consoles will reach the level of Skynet-like sentience.

a9lh-1user, MrMcTiller and mech like this.
  4. lembi2001

lembi2001 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 29, 2015
    OP must have had the console online. There is no other way for this to have happened.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

5. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Yea he's trolling

DarkIrata likes this.
  6. Thirty3Three
    OP

Thirty3Three Musician Member

Banned
    Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Wherever you want me, baby.
    Go troll elsewhere.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

It sounds that way but I'm being 100% serious. I also read that someone else had this issue. Can't remember where.

No I didn't. Jesus.

Dude. You're trolling. You've been called out by numerous people for trolling. Stop trolling.

Goddamn guys. I'm being legit here.

There must be another way it's connecting then. Because I have no open connections around me and it is not connected to my network.

So suddenly because I'm stating something you see as impossible, despite me having this happen before my own eyes, I'm lying then? No. I'm not.

So instead of calling me a liar, let's try to find out whty ths is happening, yeah?

peteruk likes this.
  7. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Addict

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    We lack the information to replicate the problem. Occam's Razor indicates the cause is PEBKAC so we need to go step by step what you have (and have not) done. The very limited info on your first post does not tell us that you have already considered and eliminated the obvious reasons.

None of us really have enough interest in constructing a precise list of questions, but I might as well try.

You said that this Switch used to be connected to the internet, but no longer is. When was the last time you knew it could connect to the internet, and what steps did you take to disable internet access?

How long ago did you update to 4.0? Did you update over the internet or by a cartridge update?

If you have had it on airplane mode this entire time, then I presume you have always used it in portable mode or with a USB controller? (Joy-cons and the Pro controller do not work wirelessly when airplane more is on)

What games have you been playing? Have you purchased any new ones since the last time you updated?

Have you removed your SD card in that time?

Have you switch games or controllers between Switches? What version does the other Switch have?

Selver, digipimp75 and sarkwalvein like this.
  8. SG854

SG854 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 17, 2017
    Taiwan
    Ok so 4.1 just came out a day a go. So theres no way for it to download in the previous weeks and months for it to nag as it wasn't available then.
    If it downloaded then it would have been a day ago. Your on the latest 4.0. If your Switch was on airplane mode for the past day or 2 then it couldn't have downloaded. So again this is really odd.

9. SG854

SG854 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 17, 2017
    Taiwan
    So you haven't connected since October 25? Thats when 4.0 came out. 4.0 is too recent to be a cartridge update.
    So it had to be an internet update. You said you haven't connected in months but that less than a month and a half you haven't connected to the internet since the last update.

You said you have no connection registered but you need to register one to download 4.0. So you deleted your registered connection after you updated to 4.0 based on what you said since you don't have a registered connection anymore. This story is....

Last edited by SG854, Dec 7, 2017
  10. KazoWAR

KazoWAR GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2008
    United States
    Winter Haven
    is it possible that the switch checks for open networks and does a firmware check with that? you never know what your switch might have been in contact with. either a open network form a business if you take it with you out, or a neighbor that has/or had an open hotspot.

11. wicksand420

wicksand420 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 13, 2016
    United States
    Is it possible that when a update comes out for switch, that they also include information for the next firmware update and a date to start the nag?

12. rac

rac Member

Newcomer
    Dec 27, 2014
    United States
    is it also possible your switch connected on it's own to an unsecure (no password) connection

13. petethepug

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    Like I said, it happened to me to and even though I haven't touched my Switch in maybe, a month? This same problem happened to me like you said. But I just ignored and bypassed the update completely.
    Maybe it could be one of the Switch Cartridges doing that somehow or you had dumb luck downloading the update? What message do you get when prompt to update?

14. Kilim

Kilim Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 14, 2017
    United States
    it could be possible that after a certain firmware nintendo added a sort of "timer" in which the switch would anticipate a system update every 'x' amount of time

so let's say you downloaded 4.0 and upgraded, in 1 month or whatever predetermined time, it would anticipate another system update (hardcoded into the 4.0 update) for 4.1 and block access to the console until you update

or nintendo broke into your house and connected the switch to wifi while you were sleeping

wicksand420 likes this.
  15. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Addict

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    There's a quick way to check: see if there's anyone here that had their Switch off or guaranteed offline for a long time and ask them to check if it prompts for an update.

16. Thirty3Three
    OP

Thirty3Three Musician Member

Banned
    Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Wherever you want me, baby.
    This doesn't make sense to me in the slightest. This whole thing just confuses me. And apparently I'm not the only person who had this happen to him/her :I

17. wicksand420

wicksand420 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 13, 2016
    United States
    Ok, this is the only way it makes sense for me, you updated to 4.0.0, nintendo knew when the next update was coming out so the put a flag into the last update that tells you to update to the newest, 4.1.0 firmware when that said update's release date is reached.

MrMcTiller likes this.
  18. marine5422

marine5422 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 8, 2007
    United States

Well, I hope that OP don't care about some people's trolling. They can't see the forest for the trees.
    Anyway, back to serious talks, Guessing about that's what you said, In my opinion...

1. Maybe you got the different revision software that contain the different update partition (that has higher than original release).

-> e.g) SMO v1.0 (the first release) has a 3.0.1 update, it well known public. but maybe SMO with version 1.1 (that recent release) could have more higher update than 4.0.0

Proof: Recently (After Dec 1), SMO v1.1 update released for few Asia(South Korea/Taiwan) country to support their language.
    And it seems that some new revision-retail package has been released that day already contain ver 1.1 game update (and different update maybe, I can't sure)

2. Some kind of method that Ninty use system notification function that may alert the update is available even if internet was disabled.

-> e.g) like a check their own console when they met with another console and communication with that if that console already has a higher firmware - maybe similar mechanism like a Streetpass for N3DS)

Both of them possible, but First one is makes more sense to me that if you just put a SMO cartridge that bought recently. (After Dec 1)
    (but If you not, and if you didn't leave out with console, I don't know what it really cause...)

Edit: Someone already posted that in forum here that new revision-Zelda BOTW that has 3.0.1 firmware that should have 1.0.0. So it's could be possible.
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/warning-breath-of-the-wild-with-3-0-1-update.490651/

Edit2: Recently SMO/Console released in South Korea(Dec 1), and I've check that it has 1.1 game update that is already in it. (It doesn't ask for update even if I connect the internet.). And console firmware is 4.0.1. So maybe SMO with v1.1 revision could have 4.0.1 firmware I guess.

Last edited by marine5422, Dec 7, 2017
  19. MeowMeowMeow

MeowMeowMeow S̈͊ͣ̎̍͋͟eͩ͊ͨ̂ͫ̐ͬ͟n̆ͨp͒ͪ̿̔aͤͬ̄ͩͨ͗̔iͧ̽ͤ

Apr 1, 2016
    Netherlands
    D̀͌̀e̵ͧk̷u̾̂ͨ͗̾͊̚ ͥ̈ͤ̎̒̓T͊ͬ͜rͨ̌̔͂́e͂̌ͩͦ̃͜eͬͪ̄͝
    Maybe the update was available already when u were playing mario but weren't aware of it, then just shutted down your switch and the next day you started your switch(offline), the pop up came
    Quick maths.

Last edited by MeowMeowMeow, Dec 7, 2017
  20. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Black Panther is shit. Why pretend it's any good.

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    I feel the need to say that I find one of the previous avatars a tad disturbing, only a bit.

smileyhead and Thirty3Three like this.