System files corrupted

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by georgecoat, Feb 26, 2013.

Feb 26, 2013

System files corrupted by georgecoat at 2:36 AM (1,480 Views / 0 Likes) 24 replies

1. georgecoat
    OP

Newcomer georgecoat Advanced Member

United States
    I know this is not new, but after reading several posts with different outcomes and chaotic "try and see" approaches ending sometimes in "no change" or even brick I would like to ask experts.
    My modded Wii has latest system, Priiloader and bootmi as boot2.
    I have a NAND backup.
    Wii started to show "system files corrupted" message when booting. Sometimes it takes 3-5 restarts to boot into system menu and it looks like it is getting worse. This sounds like channel corruption, but I am afraid it could be anything worse.
    Is there any guide for this? If not can we build one here together?

What would be the right step by step guide to:
    1. check/diagnose what is corrupted (what software/tools to use)
    2. fixing strategy starting with easy fix and ending with NAND format or other alternatives

Thank you very much in advance and I apologize in case there is some good guide for "corrupt file" cases, I could not find it...

2. KoopaHax35000vr

Member KoopaHax35000vr Idk

United States
    Idk maybe look on wiihacks.com to see if theyy know how to fix it.

3. mauifrog

Member mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

United States
    Solution 1 (probably won't work)- Reinstall system ios, reinstall system menu, reinstall priiloader

Solution 2 (likely to work, unless it freezes)- format the wii system from the wii settings menu.

Solution 3 (100% fix, probably)- make a new nand backup in bootmii. Make a backup copy of the nand.bin. Format the nand.bin with ohneschwanzenegger. Install system menu 4.? with ohneschwanzenegger, make proper setting.txt with console serial number. Check the new nand.bin with nandbincheck
    Code:
    nandbincheck nand.bin -all -v 
    Other options-
    Make a new nand.bin with bootmii. Check the nand.bin with nandbincheck
    Code:
    nandbincheck nand.bin -all -v 
    . Look at it, scratch your head, identify any possibly problem titles/files. Reinstall/delete such titles, etc.

Possibly a mailbrick, does the system corrupt after the press A? If so try maintenance mode by holding + - and then pressing A while holding. If maintenance mode works you can probably simply fix it by replacing the wc24 files with fstoolbox (mailbrickfix).

4. rooskie54

Member rooskie54 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    This sounds similar to a problem I was having last year. My wii has bootmii@boot2 and I autoboot the homebrew channel so I almost never see the system menu. One day I went to the system menu to sync a wiimote and apparently the system files were corrupt. Reinstalling the system menu would fix the problem, but it would immediately come back upon trying to access the system menu a second time. I could access maintenance mode fine. The most common suggestion was that it was a mail brick, which it wasn't.

So how'd I fix it? I made a new nand backup with bootmii (it gave me some dialog about correcting pages) and then I restored the backup I'd just made. It's worked perfectly ever since.

Your issue might not be at all related to mine, but making a new nand backup and restoring it can't hurt.

5. georgecoat
    OP

United States
    Thank you guys for your replies and valuable suggestions.
    But where to start, which one to try?
    I would probably start with rooskie54's suggestion and if that does not help I would try mauifrog's steps (from 1 to 3).
    But that would be again "try and see" approach, which is risky...
    Could be that some channel is corrupted or there is a bad titles/files or even sector? Would not the method "restoring nand backup with bootmii" bring the corrupted file back again?
    Is there any way to diagnose/test/investigate what is the cause? What is corrupted and direct the fix toward the problem instead of reinstalling/reformatting everything?
    Sounds like nandbincheck of fresh nand backup and comparison with old one would be a good start?

6. georgecoat
    OP

United States
    Thank you KoopaHax35000vr, I checked other groups as well, there are different cases when message comes after playing specific game or after installing Priiloader and so on. I followed several threads but none of them ended with happy end, which is scary. That is why I was thinking that it would be useful to have some general approach to diagnose and fix "system files corrupted" issue. To cover different causes and approaches to help people with corrupted files to fix their systems...

7. georgecoat
    OP

United States
    OK, so I did run nandbin check on my recent nand backup and it is here:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    I do not know how to read it, but it is evident that it contains a lot of errors (what a mess) originally listed in blue (no red one). Can someone help me please to read and explain the errors? I also used my nand backup to ceate new one as mauifrog suggested, formatted it with ohneschwanzenegger. Installed system menu 4.3 with ohneschwanzenegger, made proper setting.txt with console serial number and appended the keys. then I checked the new nand.bin with nandbincheck and results are here:
    Can someone please help me to understand the errors in the log after comparison those two logs?
    And some stupid questions:
    Is my original nand backup useful for nand backup restoring back into my wii? I mean isn't it going to bring back the corrupted files and cause the same problem I have now?
    Is the fresh new nand I created according to mauifrog going to be virgin and I will need to softmode it and install all the files/utilities/savegames and hacks back again?

8. mauifrog

United States
    This is from priiloader install, not sure if the uid error is normal or not, I don't think so. Reinstalling the system menu should fix it
    Not sure what caused this, but if I had to guess I would say you have a theme installed. Reinstalling the system menu should fix it.

You have a few titles with uid errors. Not sure the cause or what effect they have. Deleting the titles with a title manager should fix the issue.

You also have some titles with tickets and tmd's, but missing data. Deleting the titles with a titles manager should fix that.

I would just restore that fresh and clean nand.bin you made. Your nand looks to be well used and abused, time for I fresh start I think. That is the simple solution. You can possibly fix it the long way. I did read someone fixed some uid errors by dumping the problem file with fstoolbox, then simply restoring it. Not sure it that works or not, worked for someone.

If you want the cause of you issue, who knows. If you did nothing to cause it and it just happened, would say something in the system corrupted, like the message board or something. You possibly developed a bad block or a few in something important. But you have many many many many unofficial titles installed, perhaps it is one of those.

9. georgecoat
    OP

United States
    Thank you again mauifrog for your help. I have 4.2U and I used ModMii to update outdated files according my sysCheck.csv sometime in November last year, there is long list of updated cIOSes, apps including theme which is dark/green theme through ModMii.
    SO I could reinstall Priiloader, System menu and deleting titles with title manager or simply use fresh nand I just created.
    I would probably take your advice and restore fresh nand. Does it matter that it is 4.3U?
    Sorry for stupid questions, but after I do that, is my wii going to be virgin and I will have to mode it again? What everything I need to back up in that case?
    It is strange, but after I removed SD card for copying some files and reinserted it back into wii, since that moment I did not have any "system files corrupted" error and wii booted about 10 times so far without any problems or errors :-) Might be a coincidence...

10. mauifrog

United States
    If you restore the clean nand your wii will be virgin, everything is gone. So you would want to backup what is important to you, savegames, wiiware, etc. All of that can be extracted from you original nand.bin if needed. But if the issue has passed, perhaps you don't need to do it.

11. georgecoat
    OP

United States
    Thank you again mauifrog! I will keep an eye on it and if it starts again I will reinstall system menu (remove the modified theme).
    If that does not help I will skip the complicated and risky modifications like deleting titles and trying to get everything back.
    Instead I will restore from fresh nand as you suggested and use ModMii to mode it again.
    Your second suggestion was "format the wii system from the wii settings menu" Is that practically the same as using ohneschwanzenegger, but directly in the wii?
    One last question. If I take my recent nand backup I created in bootmii and use it to restore, would that bring the corrupted files back again or they will be corrected?

12. georgecoat
    OP

United States
    I've got instructions for original theme rebuild from JoostinOnline and waiting for error to appear again:
    "On ModMii, download the original System Menu 4.2U theme and MyMenuifyMod, and put them on your SD card.
    Load MyMenuifyMod from the HBC. Install "SD:\ModThemes\00000087_4.2U.app"

13. mauifrog

United States
    Yes, so I read, have fun. I thought it was working now?

14. The Real Jdbye

Member The Real Jdbye D:

Norway
    If there are issues caused by the theme you have installed I would rather reinstall the System Menu WAD entirely than just replace the themed files.

15. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    No, that's the opposite of what you would want. You should address the affected files and nothing else. Installing the wad would overwrite Priiloader. If it fails, then you get a full brick. If the theme install fails, then things stay the same.

16. mauifrog

United States
    He has boot2 bootmii

17. JoostinOnline

United States
    Which he hasn't even been able to access on a regular basis. It's best not to mess with things when there is no need. You might as well tell him to reinstall MIOS.

Btw, this same topic has been going on at HacksDen.

18. CheatFreak47

Member CheatFreak47 Complex Donut

United States
    I had this happen to me a loooong time ago. I ended up using DOP-Mii to update to System Menu 4.3U and It fixed the problem (mind you this was before I had Priiloader) It MIGHT have something to do with the Wii Message Board, but it's relatively unknown what causes it. It seems to be triggered by playing certain titles too.

19. JoostinOnline

United States
    The message board isn't affected by a System Menu install.

20. georgecoat
    OP

United States
    I will start with easy steps, theme 4.2U and see if that fixes it. If not then will go into more risky changes like 4.3U system menu reinstall...