System 0x0 - 0x2FF

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by democracy, Mar 13, 2016.

1. democracy
    OP

democracy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 3, 2009
    United States
    Which titles are responsible for system updates? Can we delete them now that we have arm9?

2. Toiry921

Toiry921 Maki Best Girl

Dec 10, 2015
    United States
    ラブライブ
    Why would you not need any system updates? Nintendo is still gonna release patches that will force you to update to play online and with K9LH you can just use a CFW that auto patches out Firm0 and Firm1 Updates, Why do work when you don't have to.

Just Passing By likes this.
  3. Just Passing By

Just Passing By GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    Is there something new called K9LH? Or is it still A9LH? I actually really need to stay on top of it if something snuck by me.

4. Toiry921

Toiry921 Maki Best Girl

Dec 10, 2015
    United States
    ラブライブ
    Same thing just different name Kernel9LoaderHax or Arm9LoaderHax

Just Passing By likes this.
  5. democracy
    OP

Jul 3, 2009
    United States
    I use emunand, and want to preserve 9.0 sys and if I ever need to change it I can use decrypt9 to restore, right?

6. Toiry921

Toiry921 Maki Best Girl

Dec 10, 2015
    United States
    ラブライブ
    correct

7. democracy
    OP

Jul 3, 2009
    United States
    So let's try to brick our 3ds update ability, yay:)

8. Toiry921

Toiry921 Maki Best Girl

Dec 10, 2015
    United States
    ラブライブ
    I really don't see the point, Currently EmuNAND can update to what ever version safely and if you want you can choose to update SysNAND to the latest version using AUReiNAND if you have A9LH, when the next update rolls out you'll need to get it using something, and even then if you end up with a soft brick doing something weird Recovery Mode Uses the System Update to get back on latest firm

9. yacepi15

yacepi15 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 15, 2015
    If anyone wants to start this project,with hardmod please. We do not want another bricking party.

10. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Go ahead and delete your NIM module and see how the 3ds likes it. :D

Ronhero likes this.
  11. democracy
    OP

Jul 3, 2009
    United States
    I am in a position where I will always have to have a 9.0 sysnand, so I'd like the added protection; that is to know that the sysnand cannot be updated by cart or by system settings because the file responsible for the function have been deleted or edited in some way that makes it impossible.

Also, I have tested emunand vs sysnand boot up time and the boot times are the same, even more reason I will likely never need to use updated sys nand.

Last edited by democracy, Mar 13, 2016
  12. Toiry921

Toiry921 Maki Best Girl

Dec 10, 2015
    United States
    ラブライブ
    I guess its good that this time they decided to learn and use Hardmods

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

if you have A9LH why even bother loading sysnand at all use ReiNAND or something and boot straight to emuNAND

13. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Hope they learn before trying my suggestion. ;p
    (and for the totally dense among us, I was joking lol)

14. democracy
    OP

Jul 3, 2009
    United States
    I guess i could just compile aureinand to disable sysnand booting altogether. But it would be nicer to be able to boot in sysnand easily and not feel like im walking around on egg shells...

Anyways, I'd thought I throw that idea out there, was hoping somebody had the knowledge of what system cia titles are responsible for these functions.

15. fr3quency

fr3quency GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 11, 2016
    Greece
    Wherever my imagination decides.
    If you only use emuNAND and never boot into sysNAND, why would you go out of your way to do all that sht? Are you right in your mind?

16. democracy
    OP

Jul 3, 2009
    United States
    Just trying to kid proof sysnand, holding L or R for just a sec on an arm9 boot would be enough for a kid to get into sysnand and do a cart update.

but to get to your question; are you slow or something?

17. Just Passing By

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    Why are you worried? With a9lh+aureinand, you can update sysnand all you want.

18. Bu2d85

Bu2d85 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    Bu2d85 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2014
    United States
    When I setup my kids O3DS the eshop did not work in emunand. The current guides said to make a new emunand, re-link NNID and restore the old emunand.

Instead I updated sysnand to 10.6 linked the NNID and then restored the 9.2 sysnand. It was much faster.

The point is you do not have to worry about updating sysnand. As long as you have a 9.2 a9lh NAND backup you are fine. You can check the sysnand every couple of weeks if you want and if the kid updated it just restore it.

A9lh makes these systems pretty much kid proof. There is a better chance of them destroying the emunand with a cia installer than anything else.

19. shinyquagsire23

shinyquagsire23 SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy

Nov 18, 2012
    United States
    Las Vegas
    Just to clarify, K9L is the actual name of the module exploited by k9lhax, found in the header of the module. However the module was initially dubbed ARM9 Loader during initial N3DS documentation. It's essentially the difference between .3ds and .cci, .cci is technically the correct extension and technical term for a cartridge ROM used by Nintendo, but people still refer to the ROMs falsely as .3ds (or .3dz which is just weird imo). I call it k9lhax or kernel9loaderhax because that's what we dubbed it in May and we needed a shorthand for referring to the exploit, but plutoo later did the exploit himself and extended it, and only later dubbed it arm9loaderhax or a9lhax.

klear likes this.
  20. Just Passing By

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    Ahh ok. That's very informative. I didn't know any of that, so that you for explaining it to me. :)