Hacking Sxcore, what else do I need

f2000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I finally ordered up an sxcore and already have a temp controlled soldering iron so was going to give this a try over Christmas. I'm just not 100% sure what else I should be ordering, could anybody suggest their recommendations so I can get a shopping list setup:
  • Soldering wire (people suggest lead based but not sure what type, thickness etc)
  • Flux (pen, tub, syringe…are any better/easier than others to use)
  • Paste (do I need two different types? I see there is a grey and a pink when watching youtube videos)
  • Tips (do I need really fine tips or just the general ones that come with the iron)
  • What temp is best for this (or is that completely dependent on the solder wire I buy? Some videos said 240-300?)

I will do a bit of practising, perhaps soldering cut up cat 5 cable to an old board/ram chip or something? I also bought these, hopefully that makes it easier to see what I’m doing (clamp/magnify) an secure the chip one I close it all back up (tape).

Edit: Cant post links yet, these are from aliexpress
NEWACALOX Table Clamp Soldering Helping Hand Third Hand Tool Soldering Station USB 3X Illuminated Magnifier Welding Repair Tool
Kapton Tape 6mm

Anything else you think might be handy or if I’ve missed please let me know.
Thanks in advance and sorry if this is in the wrong place, just wanted to make sure folk that mod their console could see it.

Last edited by f2000,
Reactions: HollowGrams

Artwebb

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Soldering a cut up cat5 cable isnt going to help you very much.

The points are like 0.2mm best to get a practice board and go from there.

You need paste to put the heatsink back. Just get some arctic silver or whatever people use now for CPU's.

Last edited by Artwebb,
Reactions: f2000

HollowGrams

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I finally ordered up an sxcore and already have a temp controlled soldering iron so was going to give this a try over Christmas. I'm just not 100% sure what else I should be ordering, could anybody suggest their recommendations so I can get a shopping list setup:
  • Soldering wire (people suggest lead based but not sure what type, thickness etc)
  • Flux (pen, tub, syringe…are any better/easier than others to use)
  • Paste (do I need two different types? I see there is a grey and a pink when watching youtube videos)
  • Tips (do I need really fine tips or just the general ones that come with the iron)
  • What temp is best for this (or is that completely dependent on the solder wire I buy? Some videos said 240-300?)

I will do a bit of practising, perhaps soldering cut up cat 5 cable to an old board/ram chip or something? I also bought these, hopefully that makes it easier to see what I’m doing (clamp/magnify) an secure the chip one I close it all back up (tape).

Edit: Cant post links yet, these are from aliexpress
NEWACALOX Table Clamp Soldering Helping Hand Third Hand Tool Soldering Station USB 3X Illuminated Magnifier Welding Repair Tool
Kapton Tape 6mm

Anything else you think might be handy or if I’ve missed please let me know.
Thanks in advance and sorry if this is in the wrong place, just wanted to make sure folk that mod their console could see it.

Solder Gun
Flux
Solder
Alcohol IPA + Q Tips + Compressed air
Magnify helps
Thermal Paste
SX Core

My method:

Step 1. Identify your Switch V1 or V2 and get the SX Core ready + Clip your nand in SX Core
Step 2. Break down switch and get to tegra - Make sure SP1 and SP2 are super clean - Fibrgleass scratch pen helps or Toothbrush
Step 3. Apply very little flux to sp1 and sp2 on qsb then line it up for soldering (I Find it better then pre-tin'n qsb)
Step 4. I tak solder down 1 side of either sp solder points and go all way around and tak all 4 down (Very little solder is needed on your solder gun or you can bridge caps on tegra)
Step 5. I apply pressure downwards on qsb as I go over all 4 points to make sure they are making good contact
Step 6. Visually inspect solder for bridges and correct if needed
Step 7. Solder ground anchor points on qsb down
Step 8. Clean up with ipa and qtips
Step 9. Use compressed air - MAKE SURE NO ALCOHOL LEFT UNDER TEGRA / OR ON MOTHERBOARD (Many fry their tegras here)
Step 10. Check SP1 & SP2 with multimeter (Optional)
Step 11. Plug power in and test for boot.dat screen
Step 12. Assemble Switch with sd card and upgrade chip fw then check to see if CFW loads

Good luck

Last edited by HollowGrams,

f2000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nice one, thanks for the suggestions. I've actually got some arctic silver, just wasnt sure if the pink stuff was something specific. Also got loads of Iso, cotton buds/toothbrush for cleaning up.

What about the actual solder wire specifically, can you tell me which wire you guys use? Just so I dont order up the wrong one.

Also, thanks for the detailed write up Hologram, much appreciated. I've watched a few videos but didnt know about the compressed air trick, need to add that to the shopping list. I will come back to this post when I'm ready to go and follow the steps.

Last edited by f2000,
Reactions: HollowGrams

kylum

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer Mg chemical or sra 63/37 rosin core solder and a good quality flux like Amtech nc-559. The tips your iron come with should be ok for ground but you for sure will need the smallest tip your iron can take for the SMD’s. If you haven’t had lots of practice prior then I suggest practicing with some junk boards. Something like an old phone or something with small SMD components. Something you should have tossed a long time ago you don’t care about. Keep your tip clean, should always be pretty and shiny. Use plenty of flux and minimal amount of solder on your tip.

f2000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks kylum, exactly what I was looking for. I can find both brands here in the UK so I will pick one up along with some smaller tips for the iron. Funny you should mention a phones as I'm replacing the screen in my phone (full assembly) so there is a very small board in there and I can practice on that. Thanks again dude.

Reactions: kylum

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night