Hacking Question SX OS Safety

Gameboyandwatch

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand that SX OS can work on 8.0.1, but will you get banned for using it? I only want to do emulators on Lakka, so I will get the free version. If you can get banned, I won't use it.

Paulsar99

Trophies
XP
Country
Togo
Yeah there's no definite answer tbh and use it at your own risk, but chances of getting ban on homebrew and emulator use is lower.

galaxior

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If using SX OS and want to be safe then use the emunand it offers. Keep your emunand offline as your sole hacked firmware and you can keep your sysnand online (assuming it's clean)

But as people have said it doesn't sound like you even need SX OS/atmosphere etc, you just need to boot to lakka which doesn't require any horizon-based cfw

Last edited by galaxior,
Reactions: robbros

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wait, how would I use Lakka without SX OS? I'm confused, I thought you needed a CFW to use Lakka. Is there a guide on how to install this? Also, can you get banned using Lakka?
Lakka is a linux distribution which is a whole os completely in itself. No requirement for a CFW.
There should be an installation guide on the lakka homepage.
Getting banned is very unlikely if you only use lakka. As I wrote it's a standalone OS so it doesn't connect to the Nintendo servers like the normal OS does and it doesn't store stuff in the NAND either.

Gameboyandwatch

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lakka is a linux distribution which is a whole os completely in itself. No requirement for a CFW.
There should be an installation guide on the lakka homepage.
Getting banned is very unlikely if you only use lakka. As I wrote it's a standalone OS so it doesn't connect to the Nintendo servers like the normal OS does and it doesn't store stuff in the NAND either.
Does Hekate work on 8.0.1?

Paulsar99

Trophies
XP
Country
Togo
That's not exactly correct. The chances to be banned are just as high with the "Only use of homebrew" as playing online with ripped games. I hope that was understandable...google translator :D
Then I should be banned right now since homebrew is all I've been doing since last year. Homebrew use is definitely more safer than going online with pirated software or with a modded save.

Last edited by Paulsar99,

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
There is never a guarantee that you're safe when modifying your Switch. Nintendo might have impleneted whatever new security feature that the different teams have missed.

Jackson98

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I understand that SX OS can work on 8.0.1, but will you get banned for using it? I only want to do emulators on Lakka, so I will get the free version. If you can get banned, I won't use it.

Let me explain something that doesn't seem to have been explained properly, If you only wan't to use emulators for Lakka you do not need SXOS, and despite all these paranoid answers you are getting, NOONE has ever been banned for just using Lakka, not that we know of in the last few years. If you use Retroarch and boot Custom firmware then your risk increases, people have been banned in the past, but Lakka is completely different.

If you wan't to run Lakka, just goto the website download the files, drop the Lakka and bootloader folder on the root of your SD and run the Hekate payload through TegraRCM. The odds of getting banned for Lakka, are about the same as Trump knocking down his Mexican wall and welcoming the hispanic community into the US in open arms.
Lakka does not touch your NAND at all, even if Nintendo could detect it, banning for it would be foolish as it would just encourage piracy on said console :P.

Jackson98

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yeah there's no definite answer tbh and use it at your own risk, but chances of getting ban on homebrew and emulator use is lower.

Chances of getting ban for Lakka are proven to be lower, in the banning thread their are reports of people being banned for homeb
Modding the console is enough to ban the users. Nintendo increased their security on the switch dude ;)

Noone has ever reported a ban, again it doesn't touch the NAND so error reports do not get sent. Do you not understand that LAKKA uses Linux? When people start reporting bans you can convince me of your paranoia. it is literally the safest form of homebrew on the switch bar none lol.

Dax_Fame

Annoying Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like I do essentially what you are looking to do... I use SX OS for Retroarch and other HB exclusively with the channel... hijacking (holding R) or whatever it's called. I have no installed channels, don't boot roms or anything like that.

I use emuNAND, initialized it to remove my account (hold +- during emuNAND boot), applied incognito to remove my serial information and use 90DNS

No guarantee this is perfect but I have been online with Retroarch and other homebrew for weeks and haven't been banned.

If you are looking just to use Retroarch I would have to suggest Lakka for ultimate safety, due to there being absolutely no chance of Nintendo sending any logs... as it's not even running Horizon. That wasn't suitable for me due to not being able to play docked on a big screen.

I've also been online and played online with my sysNAND every day with no issues.

Last edited by Dax_Fame, , Reason: more detail
Reactions: Jackson98

Jackson98

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I feel like I do essentially what you are looking to do... I use SX OS for Retroarch and other HB exclusively with the channel... hijacking (holding R) or whatever it's called. I have no installed channels, don't boot roms or anything like that.

I use emuNAND, initialized it to remove my account (hold +- during emuNAND boot), applied incognito to remove my serial information and use 90DNS

No guarantee this is perfect but I have been online with Retroarch and other homebrew for weeks and haven't been banned.

If you are looking just to use Retroarch I would have to suggest Lakka for ultimate safety, due to there being absolutely no chance of Nintendo sending any logs... as it's not even running Horizon. That wasn't suitable for me due to not being able to play docked on a big screen.

I've also been online and played online with my sysNAND every day with no issues.

That is the one big downside to lakka. It has better performance than Horizon, supports gamecube&wii, but doesn't support docked mode atm :P. Once it has docked support, it will be the ultimate beast for retroemulation.

Dax_Fame

Annoying Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is the one big downside to lakka. It has better performance than Horizon, supports gamecube&wii, but doesn't support docked mode atm :P. Once it has docked support, it will be the ultimate beast for retroemulation.
I am waiting for this and then I will hop-ship to Lakka myself. Security and not having to use 32GB of my SD card for emuNAND would be lovely...

Reactions: Jackson98

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Flame @ Flame: Never fight uphill, me boys.