Hacking SX Brickcode is Worse Than Expected, Can Trigger From Use

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Im intrigued how Open Source users are so concerned with TX. Spend more time worrying about a brick code instead of getting things done. Each day there will be new threads bashing on the SX OS

Each day there will be more bollox about bollox, with people saying bollox about bollox.

Btw I was using SX OS and my switch got up off it’s dock, walked out of the house and threw itself under a bus before bursting into flames.... I BLAME TX AND THEIR SUICIDE BRICK CODE!!!!!

Last edited by nikeymikey,

kamesenin888

Trophies
XP
Country
Each day there will be more bollox about bollox, with people saying bollox about bollox.

Btw I was using SX OS and my switch got up off it’s dock, walked out of the house and threw itself under a bus before bursting into flames.... I BLAME TX AND THEIR SUICIDE BRICK CODE!!!!!

Dude those tx bastards!!! they are so evil, first they copy code that mostly nobody cares, then they possesed your switch to suicide, and then it will brick on sight :P

masterspike52

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i feel a hand full of you are taking this out of perspective in hopes its not true, the code isnt what you call stolen since the code is open source, theres nothing anyone can do about that, however brock code thats spread about a file just to keep people from cracking it can be easily triggered just like it was for GW on the 3ds. All it takes is 1 slip of the finger and the next update could easily brick thousands of switches.

firestorm2yk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll wait and see what the write up from hexkyz says and then wait to see how tx responds, but if it was as 'easy to trigger' as he is saying, then why have there been no other instances of bricking EXCEPT from the dude trying to crack it?

Seems to me like 'easy to trigger' depends on what you're trying to do with sx os, as 99% of people who bought it wont be using it to try and modify sx os - they'll be using it to play games, which is what is was designed for.

I also fail to understand why cracking sx os is a good thing for these dev's who are 'apparently' against piracy, as cracking the cfw and making it free will only result in even more piracy on the Switch - which is apparently what they are against? The argument that it's to 'protect' users also doesn't make sense, as like i said above, the vast majority of users wont be modifying sx os - which i gather is what triggers this 'brick code'.

So then what is the real reason they are trying to crack sx os? Because from my perspective, it's all about their ego at this point and has nothing to do with benefiting the scene what so ever.

But that's just my .2c

masterspike52

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll wait and see what the write up from hexkyz says and then wait to see how tx responds, but if it was as 'easy to trigger' as he is saying, then why have there been no other instances of bricking EXCEPT from the dude trying to crack it?

Seems to me like 'easy to trigger' depends on what you're trying to do with sx os, as 99% of people who bought it wont be using it to try and modify sx os - they'll be using it to play games, which is what is was designed for.

I also fail to understand why cracking sx os is a good thing for these dev's who are 'apparently' against piracy, as cracking the cfw and making it free will only result in even more piracy on the Switch - which is apparently what they are against? The argument that it's to 'protect' users also doesn't make sense, as like i said above, the vast majority of users wont be modifying sx os - which i gather is what triggers this 'brick code'.

So then what is the real reason they are trying to crack sx os? Because from my perspective, it's all about their ego at this point and has nothing to do with benefiting the scene what so ever.

But that's just my .2c
id have to guess the reasoning for it is because you shouldnt have to pay for something like that, homebrew and cfw should be free (its just the basic concept they all follow) and for TX to just roll up and say hey spend $40 on something we'll only have as long as the xbox360 was relevant is kind of a sham

lukhart

GBAtemp Stand User
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
id have to guess the reasoning for it is because you shouldnt have to pay for something like that, homebrew and cfw should be free (its just the basic concept they all follow) and for TX to just roll up and say hey spend $40 on something we'll only have as long as the xbox360 was relevant is kind of a sham
Online services for consoles be free too and even Nintendo is charging for them now...

Look, people want a backup loader to play games and they want it now, not weeks or months later. TX is supplying this commodity for a price, because there's a large demand and in the future there will be free solutions which will most certainly obfuscate TX product.

It's a choice: pay a low fee (25$-40) now to play a lot of games for free or wait until some random developer do it, who knows when. Don't like it? Don't pay and wait.

It's just how business works.

Last edited by lukhart,

datahoarder

Organized.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will never understand of the replies here. People hack things for RESEARCH.
That comes in the form of personal research, open-source research, and bragging-rights research.
Why would you NOT want to know that there was bricking code provided in the SX software?
Genuinely, why does having that knowledge enrage you so much? Is it because you paid for it? Is it because you think TX is infallible? Blame the Russians?

Half of the replies here don't answer what it is that you're so against and instead comment on everything but the fact, and it is fact, that there is code in there that MAY or WILL affect a subset of users.
You all seem to think because a widespread bricking situation hasn't arisen, that there won't be some home-brew released in the future that will act like a virus that will specifically "turn-on" the brick code mechanism.
Oh, but you all will know immediately. "People will report it!"
Well, no, there are several obfuscation methods to brick at random times or for random scenarios.
and of course when that happens to you - you're all going to be looking for developers like @hexkyz to figure out what went wrong.

The reason for trying to crack SXOS is obvious. To see how it works. Knowledge.
Stop using anything developed by people who learn how the software works to create other applications that take advantage of the same methods.
If you aren't a developer, if you aren't creating home-brew, and specifically if you're just a wide-mouthed GBAtemp member spewing your opinion
on what other developers should or should not do based on the fact that YOU don't like the fact that someone else wants to know how something works - don't use any of it!
It's simple. Oh, but ego. Oh, but piracy.

Okay, just because you're saying what you think people shouldn't be doing based on your morals, they're totally not going to do it.
So many of you have logical fallacy arguments that it just hurts my brains.

Why even comment on these threads when you want no involvement?
You're creating spam and drama and NO ONE WANTS IT. Get out, OUT! Thanks.

Last edited by datahoarder,

firestorm2yk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

So just to clarify, your issue isn't so much that the device enables piracy, it's that it costs money.

If so, i don't see the issue here. Even if tx used code from atmosphere, they still had to ensure that atmosphere's code worked well with their own and then make it into a product that was easy to use and not require 10 different steps to get working, which would have required significant research and development, which would have also taken significant time to develop. Should they not be compensated for this time?

I would also like to point out that it's up to the user if they are willing to pay for the convenience of a backup loader that works with minimal fuss - no one is forcing anyone to use their solution - it's your choice.

Reactions: lukhart

dspair

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
So far we have:
  1. Three threads about SX OS "bricking consoles".
  2. One person with a bricked (and later unbricked) console - someone who's trying to crack it.
  3. Zero open source alternatives.
So much time and energy wasted on virtue signaling instead of developing alternatives that would've made SX OS obsolete. I bet someone like SciresM can make a proof of concept backup loader in less than 10 minutes, but no, Switch devs would rather cry on twitter about a Chinese company stealing some intellectual property and DRM that only bricks consoles when you try to crack it.

NeoSlyde

Let us start the game
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So far we have:
  2. One person with a bricked (and later unbricked) console - someone who's trying to crack it.
So much time and energy wasted on virtue signaling instead of developing alternatives that would've made SX OS obsolete. I bet someone like SciresM can make a proof of concept backup loader in less than 10 minutes, but no, Switch devs would rather cry on twitter about a Chinese company stealing some intellectual property and DRM that only bricks consoles when you try to crack it.
Sad life :/

Mikuru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
So far we have:
/thread

SimonMKWii

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Here's a solution:

See this? This is called a credit card:
266923_Bendigo_Bank_MasterCard_Platinum_Rewards_1.jpg

This is called an overpriced and glorified RCM payload dongle:
xecuter-sx-pro-nintendo-switch-hack-cfw.jpg

Now, if you want to play games, which one should be used?

I'll give you a hint: the credit card, you cheap pieces of shit.

Mikuru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
It can be considered stolen if TX isn't following the license attached to the code. Atmosphère uses GPL-2.0.
Wow, do you actually know what parts of Atmosphere where used by TX and why, or you another sjw trash-crybaby? Noone told us what was that for and why TX used that. Why tho?

Ekmeian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i feel a hand full of you are taking this out of perspective in hopes its not true, the code isnt what you call stolen since the code is open source, theres nothing anyone can do about that, however brock code thats spread about a file just to keep people from cracking it can be easily triggered just like it was for GW on the 3ds. All it takes is 1 slip of the finger and the next update could easily brick thousands of switches.

Waiting for that "Brock
Code" like....
Brock-Lesnar-979035.jpg

Reactions: nikeymikey

lukhart

GBAtemp Stand User
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I will never understand of the replies here. People hack things for RESEARCH.
That comes in the form of personal research, open-source research, and bragging-rights research.
Why would you NOT want to know that there was bricking code provided in the SX software?
Genuinely, why does having that knowledge enrage you so much? Is it because you paid for it? Is it because you think TX is infallible? Blame the Russians?

Half of the replies here don't answer what it is that you're so against and instead comment on everything but the fact, and it is fact, that there is code in there that MAY or WILL affect a subset of users.
You all seem to think because a widespread bricking situation hasn't arisen, that there won't be some home-brew released in the future that will act like a virus that will specifically "turn-on" the brick code mechanism.
Oh, but you all will know immediately. "People will report it!"
Well, no, there are several obfuscation methods to brick at random times or for random scenarios.
and of course when that happens to you - you're all going to be looking for developers like @hexkyz to figure out what went wrong.

The reason for trying to crack SXOS is obvious. To see how it works. Knowledge.
Stop using anything developed by people who learn how the software works to create other applications that take advantage of the same methods.
If you aren't a developer, if you aren't creating home-brew, and specifically if you're just a wide-mouthed GBAtemp member spewing your opinion
on what other developers should or should not do based on the fact that YOU don't like the fact that someone else wants to know how something works - don't use any of it!
It's simple. Oh, but ego. Oh, but piracy.

Okay, just because you're saying what you think people shouldn't be doing based on your morals, they're totally not going to do it.
So many of you have logical fallacy arguments that it just hurts my brains.

Why even comment on these threads when you want no involvement?
You're creating spam and drama and NO ONE WANTS IT. Get out, OUT! Thanks.
I'm not going trough all the points of your manifesto, but the one creating spam and drama is hexkyz himself. If you're doing a research and then pointing fingers, you should show some proof and statistics before saying "tx's brick code is more likely to be trigger than I thought". What's the chance? How damaging it is? What are the options to reverse it? etc. He should finish his research and point out the facts before shouting negative tweets about a company that he openly despises, which just results in confusion and fear among users - something that is the opposite effect of a research.

Reactions: MehMeh27 and Mikuru

Mikuru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
I'm not going trough all the points of your manifesto, but the one creating spam and drama is hexkyz himself. If you're doing a research and then pointing fingers, you should show some proof and statistics before saying "tx's brick code is more likely to be trigger than I thought". What's the chance? How damaging it is? What are the options to reverse it? etc. He should finish his research and point out the facts before shouting negative tweets about a company that he openly despises, which just results in confusion and fear among users - something that is the opposite effect of a research.
I'm glad here is still some people that can use their brain instead eating all shit from the reswitched members twitter and their fanboys

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/ff1hgQb1qAU?si=tl3F_o8i9cG8e2D_ this is how you should emulate +1